What effect do you think water has on weight loss?

Options
I struggle to drink half a litre of water a day, I'm never ever thirsty so it's a real chore remembering to keep hydrated. Does anyone think drinking lots has any real effect on weight?

I can survive healthily on very little fluids but if it'll do my body and weigh in results some good I'd definitely try drinking more!

Replies

• warrio1010
    warrio1010 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    0. But you should definitely be drinking more than that. Do you drink tea, coffee, juice, soda etc and not count that water?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not convinced water has much of anything to do with weight loss. Has to do with your health sure and you should strive to remain hydrated....but weight loss? Not sure why it would have an effect.

A starving person who is also parched of thirst is going to lose weight just as much as a starving person who drinks lots of water.

I view this along the same lines as questions about if someone could lose weight eating nothing but Macdonalds cheeseburgers. The answer is yes, they can...but they wouldn't be very healthy.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    it has no direct effect on fat loss. however it helps you feel more full, and it is extremely important to your general health to drink enough water. it will also help flush out any additional water weight (sounds dumb but drinking more water=less water weight) which will not only lower that scale number but will also make you appear less bloated

eta; just because you have survived on drinking small amounts of water doesnt mean you can do so healthily, drink more, you have no reason not to
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking other fluids throughout the day (coffee, tea, pop, milk, juice, etc.)? You don't need water in particular, but it's healthy to stay hydrated and you can do that with any drinkable liquid that's not poison.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One reason people might get the wrong impression about water consumption and weight loss is because of sodium.

If you drink lots and lots of water you will dilute the amount of sodium in your system which will decrease the amount of water your body retains and so you end up peeing out more liquid than you took in and you drop weight. Water weight.

This is of course temporary and as soon as you ingest more sodium or drink less water you will retain more water again and go back up in weight.

That said there are probably people who made an effort to drink more water and in the next few days they dropped lots of weight so in their mind they related the two as "drinking water aids fat loss" which I don't think is true.
  • karireyn
    karireyn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would say water does have an effect is because if you're not drinking enough water you're body will retain water otherwise known as water weight. The more water you drink the less water your body retains. It may seem strange but it's true. Whenever I need to drop a few pounds I usually hit the water hard for a few days to get rid of any extra water weight.

I drink 3 liters a day, and I get it drinking water can be hard sometimes. Try adding different things so it brings up the taste without bringing up the calories. I really like lemon and mint leaves or lemon and lime in my water. Google or search on Pinterest for fruit infused water and you'll be set.