FitBit, Jawbone, Garmin, FuelBand...

Chime in if you have these devices and why you picked the one you did. Leaning towards Jawbone, but still curious as to what the masses say.

Sorry for a thread repetitive in nature but I didn't want to hijack someone else's masterpiece.

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    I have a FitBit because it work gave it to me for FREE.

I do like it though, it can be a fun game to see how many steps you get.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    I have a fitbit zip, and I used to have the Ultra. The zip has been great so far, I like how it syncs up with my MFP acct.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Want a Fitbit, ruled out fuelband because no one else uses Nike's units- Fuelpoints? whatever the hell they're called.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Have a Fitbit Flex and LOVE IT :smile:
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Been looking at these as well. I'm leaning toward the Fitbit Flex... glad to see someone loves it!!!
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Had a fitbit and it worked fine. But the bottom line is all these things are really are expensive pedometers. If you just want to track steps they are fine, but thats about all they do that is helpful.
  • Fitbit zip... No need to track sleep and it's less expensive. Pretty motivating, especially if you know others who use one - I have some fun competitions with my guy!
  • getnfit87
    getnfit87 Posts: 34 Member
    fitbit one, and I love it, it's small but really works as a motivator for me and I like how it syncs to mfp to give me an idea of my calories burnt, it's probably not perfect but thus far the numbers closely match my results, it really makes me work to get my steps in and to work on pace to get my active minutes in, I like the one personally because for me didn't want a wrist band and I can look right at it and check my numbers, I'd buy it again in a heart beat. instead of sitting at the computer the last hour I was walking to get my steps in before midnight lol :)
  • BeautifulSoul705
    BeautifulSoul705 Posts: 123 Member
    Fitbit is my choice. :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Out of those listed, fitbit.

Bodymedia is way more accurate, though you have to pay for a subscription.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    I love my fitbit one, but like others said, it's just a glorified pedometer. For me it's a motivational tool. I have left the house at 11:30 at night just to get my steps in.

If you're motivated all on your own, save your money and buy new shoes!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Thanks for all the responses so far!

I see a lot of FitBit fanatics, but many of the reviews I read stated that they may be too generous with calorie expenditure. How have you found that aspect to be? Are they pretty consistent with what it says, say, on an exercise machine readout?
  • PurringMyrrh
    I love my fitbit one, but like others said, it's just a glorified pedometer. For me it's a motivational tool. I have left the house at 11:30 at night just to get my steps in.

If you're motivated all on your own, save your money and buy new shoes!
    It's about 10:15 here and I'm about to leave for a night walk. :bigsmile:

Crap! I really do need new shoes too... :ohwell:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member

I see a lot of FitBit fanatics, but many of the reviews I read stated that they may be too generous with calorie expenditure. How have you found that aspect to be? Are they pretty consistent with what it says, say, on an exercise machine readout?

I think they all overestimate. I typically don't eat mine back anyway, but I always knock a couple hundred off. But walking is a fairly standard researched burn.

Walking at a speed of 3 miles an hour, you will burn calories at the following rate:

130 to 140 pounds – 3.5 calories burned per minute
    145 to 155 pounds – 4.0 calories burned per minute
    160 to 170 pounds – 4.5 calories burned per minute
    175 to185 pounds – 5.0 calories burned per minute
    190 to 200 pounds – 5.5 calories burned per minute

For every ten poundsyou add, you burn an extra .5 calorie
  • PurringMyrrh
    Out of those listed, fitbit.

Bodymedia is way more accurate, though you have to pay for a subscription.
    I am taking a gander at the site right now. I do love the thought of accuracy and see that they are now affiliated with Jawbone which I know syncs up with MFP. Do you know if the Bodymedia one does as well?
  • ryount
    ryount Posts: 7 Member
    I've used BodyMedia for over a year and like it. Connects with MFP. I use it for more than steps as it calculates quality of sleep as well as calorie burn. I have heard that Fitbit reports are not accurate when compared to BMedia. Given the many variables that affect scale weight, I use Excel to plot actual deficits against deficit goals daily. Turns out consistently losing 0.3 lbs per day (2 lbs per week) is hard work! Scale weights fluctuate 2-4 lbs every day, but the deficit plotting keeps me on target. I reset counters the first of every month. BMedia gives me good data for that.
  • PurringMyrrh

I think they all overestimate. I typically don't eat mine back anyway, but I always knock a couple hundred off. But walking is a fairly standard researched burn.

Walking at a speed of 3 miles an hour, you will burn calories at the following rate:

Hey sweet! Thanks for that info.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    very handy info - thanks! and it makes sense. i know i struggle less walking now at 172 than i did at 240.

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I have a BodyMedia armband (now joined with Jawbone apparently). I also have a Garmin 310xt. They serve totally different purposes. The BodyMedia tracks my activity and sleep, while the Garmin paces my runs.

The BodyMedia armband has been tested against gold standards of caloric expenditure (doubly labeled water) and been found to be extremely accurate.
  • stepkiko
    stepkiko Posts: 10 Member
    I actually went to the store to buy a Fitbit and went home with a Polar Loop. I ended up liking the Polar Loop better because I don't have to look at my phone or computer to see number of steps, calories burned etc. It all displays on the band (discreetly when you make it display). The Fitbit only has the lights to let you know when you have reached goal. So far I am happy with the Polar Loop. Only drawback is it doesn't sync with MFP but I don't really care about that.