0-10k in 3 months, Possible?

Options
So I've signed myself up for 10k race on 31/08. I want to be able to complete it all running, and I'd *ideally* want to aim for 7 minutes per kilometer, I realise that might be a bit optimistic however.

Right now I'm doing a c25k programme, on week 2. Otherwise I do a lot of HIIT training and yoga.

Has anyone managed to start from nothing to running 10k within a 3 month time span? What was your training plan like? ANy general tips or guidance would be well appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I do think it is possible. ONce you got to 3 miles, you could add .5 miles a week to your longest run and be at 6 with time to spar. How long does the C25K take to get you to that 3 miles?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    100% possible, however, I'd aim for completion rather than a certain time. The beauty of your first race is that you'll PR no matter what, so just enjoy it and use it as a learning experience.

You have plenty of time in the future to deal with the stresses of pace management :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yep - first off though do little and often. I would suggest you get a heart rate monitor and buy a book called total heart rate training by Joe Friel. good luck
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started running consistently on January 19, but I already had enough of a base to be able to run 4 miles several times a week. I ran my first 5K on March 29 and my first 10K six weeks later on May 10 (finishing in 54:56). That works out to 3 months and 3 weeks.

I followed the training plays at about.com
    http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/u/trainingracing.htm

I did a 5K plan followed by a slightly shortened 10K plan.

Do your homework. Learn what the different types of runs are. You don't always want to go fast. When I used to run before, I always pushed my heart rate up close to the max. This time, I bought a HR monitor and quickly figured out what paces I needed to run at to keep my HR lower for easy runs and long runs. Most days, especially early on, you're going to want to run at what's known as an easy pace.

The info on this site helped a lot. http://www.runningforfitness.org/
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I started running January 3rd 2013 and March 1st was the 1st time I ran 10km. I started as a total newbie runner and was 200lbs. You can do it. I'd suggest focusing more on slowly increasing your distance and not worrying as much about speed.

Good luck!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My first run was three months ago yesterday, I ran 1.8 miles and stopped to walk a few times. Tomorrow I run my first 10K. Definitely possible, you got this! I didn't focus on speed, just went a little further each time and my pace has increased along the way naturally. Good luck.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's 100% possible. The 5k program I started with gets you from zero to 5k in 8 weeks and I hit 10k shortly after that. It's about a million times easier to get from 5k to 10k than it is to get from 0k to 5k.

However, I echo the advice that you should not worry about a 7 minute kilometer during your first 10k. Keep your focus solely on your distance, not your speed. Finishing is much more mentally important that first time than hitting a specific speed.

I ran two races after starting my running journey ... a 5k and an 8 miler as part of a relay. If I had worried about hitting a specific time per mile in that 2nd one, I wouldn't have finished.

Know your distance ability ... then try to beat the time later.