HELP! ADVICE NEEDED on SALT

Options
Hi fitnesspal community. I am a 24 year old male, in great physical condition. I eat really clean, but have a huge problem with Sodium. I literally crave salt all the time. I put salt on all my vegetables, on my sandwiches, on meat, on fish, on rice, in soup, and even in my protein shakes. This has been going on for about 3 years. I have had blood tests with my primary care doctor and have no signs of high blood pressure or high sodium. Are there any conditions that cause this? Also, is this necessarily unhealthy if I commit to not eating much salt when I get older?

Replies

• RadioactivePirate
    Options
    This is really better left to your doctor. Maybe they tested you for high blood pressure but there's more that could be looked into. Bring it up again at your next visit and ask these same questions to the doctor. It seems kind of weird to me and the fact that you can track it to a starting date is also suspicious. Better to get it checked out.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    It may not pose a problem right now, but it most likely will down the road. Why not cut back now, before it does become an issue? You know... just in case.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add and it will suck is to cut it out of your diet. My husband eats A TON of salt on his food, when I taste his food I only taste salt. And he says "if i dont salt it i can't taste the food" and I am convinced he just likes the taste of the salt. If you cut it out or at least stop putting extra on your food your taste buds will eventually not need all the salt for things to taste good.

I have been put on a low sodium diet (which I am TERRIBLE about) through my personal trainer, and let me tell you, if I eat something like fast food now all I taste is salt and it's AWFUL.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You say you're in "great physical condition". Do you sweat a lot every day? Your body may need more salt than normal if you are really exerting yourself all the time.

But I agree, ask your doctor.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    The only thing I can add and it will suck is to cut it out of your diet. My husband eats A TON of salt on his food, when I taste his food I only taste salt. And he says "if i dont salt it i can't taste the food" and I am convinced he just likes the taste of the salt. If you cut it out or at least stop putting extra on your food your taste buds will eventually not need all the salt for things to taste good.

I have been put on a low sodium diet (which I am TERRIBLE about) through my personal trainer, and let me tell you, if I eat something like fast food now all I taste is salt and it's AWFUL.

I too have cut out adding salt to food, including my cooking. I also started buying low-sodium soups and other stuff. After a little while, I noticed that I could taste more of the flavors of my food. I don't think I could go back to using it again without ruining the taste of food.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You may sweat it out. I say listen to your body unless your doc advises against it. I'm also a salt lover. I could eat it by the spoonful.