to p90x or not...

Options
I'm really looking to tone majorly as well as lose weight, and I've been wanting to try P90X. My question for you guys is, how advanced is p90x? I am really active as far as cardio is concerned, but weight training on the other hand, I don't have much experience in. Should I try a workout program before I do p90x or should I just jump right in?

Replies

• mclahey
    mclahey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am wondering this too...
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Jump In!!!!!

It's amazing and is adaptable for any level.
  • aeshuron
    aeshuron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jump in! As long as your cardio is good you will be fine.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    I agree with Steve, you just adapt it to whatever level you're at. Another great program to look at would be Chalean Extreme. A lot of people will tell you it's not as intense as P90X but that isn't really the case. Both of them are gonna help you build muscle and get leaner.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    just jump right in. Each DVD will show you ways to modify. You will get better with each passing week. Improvement is what it's all about right?
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just started this week... and I LOVE to HATE it. It's completely adaptable and is perfect for the person who isn't sure what to do for toning. It was worth EVERY penny so far. Make no mistake, it's tough. But you get stronger each workout and they provide ways to modify. Do it do it do it do it!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I say dive right in.... you will love it and the results you will get from it!!!! ;D
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    IMO, it's not so much about your initial athletic ability as it is your willpower or motivation. You can always modify the moves, but getting the energy and motivation and finding the time to actually put the DVD in... that's the hardest part!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Totally do it! I was pretty active in cardio as well, but weight training was the one thing I was missing. You have the choice on which weights to use so, it's all up to you. If you are looking to tone up, it's perfect.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your positive feedback! Looks like I'm gonna have to scrounge up the money to purchase myself p90x! Maybe I can even get my hubby to do it with me.
    Thanks again guys :smile:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think anyone can do it, the thing with this work out is that it is long and every DVD is long. Its not for the average Joe who needs a quick work out, but anyone can do it.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking to tone majorly as well as lose weight, and I've been wanting to try P90X. My question for you guys is, how advanced is p90x? I am really active as far as cardio is concerned, but weight training on the other hand, I don't have much experience in. Should I try a workout program before I do p90x or should I just jump right in?

While I think that you could handle P90X, I am going to disagree with the majority here. Having done both programs started with P90X (unable to finish) and then ChaLEAN Extreme, I wish I had done them in reverse order. Is CLX tough? Yes, but I feel it is a good way for someone who isn't used to weight training to get used to it. By the time you complete CLX you will be strong enough to tackle P90X.

Just a TBB coach's opinion. Hope this helps you in your decision. Also tell your husband if he is worried about doing a "girly" program in CLX. He'll think twice after he tries it. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to message me.

All the best,
    Stu
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Make sure you clear it with a doctor first. It is very intense for your core. I did it with a couple of my girlfriends and even though I was cleared to do all normal exercise activities I tore open the permanent stitches to a hernia repair after 2 months of the program. Talk about a bummer. Love it prior to the "incident".
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    While I think that you could handle P90X, I am going to disagree with the majority here. Having done both programs started with P90X (unable to finish) and then ChaLEAN Extreme, I wish I had done them in reverse order. Is CLX tough? Yes, but I feel it is a good way for someone who isn't used to weight training to get used to it. By the time you complete CLX you will be strong enough to tackle P90X.

Just a TBB coach's opinion. Hope this helps you in your decision. Also tell your husband if he is worried about doing a "girly" program in CLX. He'll think twice after he tries it. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to message me.

All the best,
    Stu

I considered myself fairly fit when I started P90X and would agree with Stu - the X is what makes P90X extreme. I think if it's too hard, or frustrating you wouldn't finish. Try P90 first or one of the other options. My coach suggested ChaLean to begin with and I opted against it. I had just completed my first marathon and wanted something to train over the winter with to maintain. I'm glad I made the decision for me but think that starting with P90X isn't for everyone.