"I feel like a Snickers, so I'm gonna run 2 miles..."

Options
We've all said something like that before. Either proactively or reactively.,, we've run off a slice of pizza after the fact, or worked out ahead of time in anticipation of a snack or meal.

Is this healthy and effective for a maintenance lifestyle? No facetiousness.

I would imagine that if you are measuring and hitting your marks with these adjustments, then it's fine. I also would think that the thought process of action/consequence as it relates to junk food and exercise is a good balance. Yet... I dunno... Something about the philosophy seems almost unnatural.

Do you subscribe to this approach? Has it made you snack more? Have you maintained? Any thoughts to add?

Replies

• strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My problem is that after I run I do not feel like snacking...that being said if I have the munchies really bad I go for a run so I don't over indulge.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with it. I'm cutting and I do it all the time.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger. I will probably always be a binger. My options are I either work my backside off or I don't bother and I will gain weight.

For me that's the reality and I've accepted it. Is it particularly healthy for a maintenance lifestyle? Nope. Is it effective for a maintenance lifestyle? For me yes.

I've lost and gained many times over the years. For me the deciding factor has always been when I've cut the exercise. I will probably always have to run the proverbial/literal 2 miles not because "I feel like snickers", but because sooner or later I will eat a whole bag of them.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think that it is MORE healthy. You're exercising more, which is improving your body. And you're providing more nutrients, which is improving your body. Of course you could exercise too much and hurt yourself, but one snickers bar worth of exercise is probably not too much.
  • ranchbrat
    ranchbrat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you have tried the Quest bars, when you want to eat a candy bar, its a good alternative and its got a good amount of protein in them.
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The day I work out, I usually end up with a deficit because I'm not overly hungry. I'm always starving the day AFTER a workout, and I always feel guilty for going over my calorie goal since I didn't work out that day. Instead of going day by day, I've switched to a weekly total and it seems to help me quite a bit. There are some days where I just don't feel like eating and I am lucky to reach 800 calories and then the next day I may hit 2200. As long as I continue to lose at a healthy rate, I don't see any issues with my methods. My stomach doesn't reset at midnight, so I don't see a reason why my diary needs to.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay for something small.

If you try to exercise off a whole pizza, good luck!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I workout because I like too, it makes me feel good when I am done and keeps me fit. I have never really looked at exercise thinking well if I work out today I can have a Snickers, donut, cookie, etc.

If I want to eat those items, I will, but I'll be eating less for dinner so I don't blow my calorie goal for the day.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love working out too... So I eat what I want, within reason, not super skinny, not super overweight.... If I want a snickers bar I will freakin have one, no guilt...finally figured out I will always have an Issue with weight and food... Just manage the exercise and it all sorts itself out..it's as soon as you do more of the one ( eating) and less of the other (exercising) then you start having issues.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    A snicker bar sounds wonderful, and there is nothing at all wrong with doing extra exercise because you want a snickers.

I have desert every night, and once in awhile i go over. It's okay, too, because I know on Sunday I will go for one heck of a run.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha! Have to reply to this one because I just went out for a half hour late night power walk so I would have enough calories to eat a protein bar. So yep, been there, done that.

It works for me because I don't have any willpower if I go over my calories. If I'm over, I throw in the towel and just eat whatever because "I blew it". If I do extra exercise beforehand, I can treat myself because the snack won't put me over my limit. May not make sense for everyone, but it keeps me on track :o)
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    As long as Calories out > Calories in, I see no issues with it.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I usually start the day eating 500 calories, then go burn 500-2000 on the bike then come home and feast throughout the day. No problems yet.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's healthy, but I regularly jog five miles on the days I want to eat more.
  • fryfat
    fryfat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Exercising makes me appreciate food. I'd have to run 2.5 miles for a Snickers? Ugh.

Homemade key-lime pie (with real key limes) is worth 2.5 miles. I'd run a marathon for the whole pie.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    I think in general it is fine.

A snickers bar type example like you gave - no issues.

Of course, like everything, there could be an issue if taken to extremes - eat 3 pizzas and run all night or something like that.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have a big-food day I will go for a long (10k-ish) run that morning in anticipation. Failing that, as long as the numbers balance over the course of the week I try not to worry about it too much.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I read an article (wish I had saved it so I could share) which spoke about a study of runners... basically said that runners have been found to have worse body fat than others (can't remember the control group they used) because they fall into that "I run so I can eat whatever I want" line of thinking...

I'm trying to lose weight to avoid the blood pressure, obesity and diabetes that runs in my family, so that article was truly an eye opener. Yes, allow yourself to indulge in a treat if you want, and if you're trying to lose/maintain weight then burn if off if you want... but don't fool yourself into thinking that because you work out your diet is a free-for-all.

It's still all about moderation.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,688 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I do big cardio on the weekend, so I can afford to order whatever I feel like at the restaurant later.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Something about the philosophy seems almost unnatural.
    It's certainly unnatural.
    For 20 years I followed the natural method of exercise and portion control to control my weight without counting calories and only the vaguest idea of exercising more/less means eating more/less. I played squash to a reasonable standard, hit lifetime bests for some strength lifts, stayed fit and had spells where circumstances meant I had the time to devote many hours to exercise. For those 20 years I also stayed fat.

Whether it's short term calorie balance for treats or special occasions or long term differences in overall diet (I burned 80,000 calories in a year just from my cycling, currently averaging about 5,000 exercise calories a week) then I don't see it as a problem, just an effective technique.
    There will come a time when I can't sustain this level of exercise and I will have to adjust my intake but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying my food and (importantly) my exercise.