Not the success story that most post... but...

Options
Hey there! My name's Rose. I started out on a weight loss journey and ended up on a self-acceptance path instead!

When I joined MFP (again) I was ~116 lbs. I had very disordered thinking, decided I was going to severely restrict, and not let myself enjoy anything until I was my goal weight (a disordered 92 pounds, at 5'1". A weight I can only reach when I refuse to eat.)

Well, right off the bat, I lost 11 pounds! And I felt okay physically. Tired, lethargic at times, but okay. Emotionally? I was a complete WRECK. I was obsessing over every calorie, weighing myself multiple times a day on a bunch of different scales, working out like a freak for hours each day.

I was so unhappy and I didn't understand why. The weight was coming off, so why was I more miserable than before?

And then one day, I said "I'm going to take a break from MFP. A break from obsessing and counting and measuring. I'm just going to take a break."

That was probably the best decision I've made for myself in a long time. I spent a few days doing things I enjoyed, eating foods I loved, being with people I appreciated. I got myself some clothes that I thought would look cute on me. And, when I didn't weigh myself, I tried them on and DAMN. I thought I looked good!

Well, I came back to MFP after those few days. I weighed myself and the weight had gone back up, around 4 pounds... then the next few days, around 7... until here I am at around 112. And I have never felt better about myself than I do right now.

See, I thought losing weight would make me happy. I thought that if I spent my time consumed by guilt and self-hatred, I would finally begin to get results I wanted. I was SO WRONG.

I started logging again. But I changed my calorie goal from 600 a day to 1400 a day. I could finally eat regular meals, spend meal time with my family, and exercise without worrying about "OH I HAVE TO WORK OFF ALL THESE CALORIES!!!"

I don't know how this all clicked for me, because I've been dealing with a constant disorder for 10+ years of my life. But suddenly, here it is. I am all together. And I feel amazing.

Now I know, when I'm feeling triggered, I just need to stay away from the things triggering me, such as comparing myself to others' success. I also have started reminding myself how much my boyfriend likes my body, how much my body does for me, and how great I felt in those clothes even before I knew my weight had gone back up.

In the end, it wasn't weight loss that was making me happy. It was making healthier choices, changing my perspective, and learning to appreciate my body for what it is.

I can finally say- I feel absolutely beautiful.

These photos were from about an hour ago. I have NEVER smiled or been goofing off for bathing suit pictures. And before this past month, I've never felt okay with myself enough to wear a bikini. I'm so glad it's changed.
2w6t7bs.jpg

2ir6hjc.jpg

Thanks to all my super supportive MFP friends! Seriously, you've helped me to overcome so much.

If there's anyone who's looking for support or care or just general positivity, feel 10000% free to add me. I love talking to all of you and helping you on your journeys to self peace.

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to your healthy and happy life!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You look fekking gorgeous!! Congratulations on your new outlook, and your rockin' bod! (I wish I had your boobs!)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    :happy: You are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story. We need more positive stories like yours. :heart:
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Firstly ...you look amazing

I am so proud of you... Remember food nourishes your body and mind!!!!.. Never compare yourself to others as in their mind they may be more miserable than you...in their mind they may want to look like you...
    I'm a wise old bird (44).

But I ask 1 thing of you... Copy and paste this post and out it away in your computer somewhere. Because what you have just said are very very wise words and you Must NEVER forget what you say now.....
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, it is very inspiring. A big congratulations to you for recognizing you had a problem and taking control. You look beautiful :flowerforyou:
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • OPile
    OPile Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You look great. You certainly don't need to lose any weight at all. How fantastic that you realise that. :-)
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    what a beautiful success story! Congratulations!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful. I hope you can lock this feeling up in your head and not let the monster out again :flowerforyou:
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! The support is amazing :)

And mebepiglet123- great idea! I've done just that. I don't want to let those feelings evaporate, I'll hold onto them.
  • tooiyoake
    tooiyoake Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. You look beautiful! Congratulations on overcoming your issues..:)
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When you get to the ripe old age of 29 like me you just accept that this is your body and it's beautiful and it is a thing to be cherished. :D You look radiant, congratulations
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Beautiful and wise. Congrats.
  • stennis
    stennis Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    After reading your line on your starting weight I asked myself why you would even feel you need to lose weight. You discovered that is not what it was about. My compliments to you. What an inspiring and wise young woman you are. Congratulations. And BTW, you rock that bikini!
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! You are finally able to see the beautiful woman God created. :happy:
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Awesome post to read- I always feel so horrible when I see people come on here with disorders, thinking losing more weight is what they want...

Glad to see your story :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    This was such a great thing to read! :D congrats!!
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on making the choice to be healthy and happy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!