How to get sweet potato fries CRISPY?!

Options
rodduz
rodduz Posts: 251 Member
Anybody have any luck with this when baking them? Mine always come out a little soggy.

Cheers

Replies

• JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Poppin' in for the suggestions!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Try cooking them on a dark pan.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Coat them in oil and crank the oven right up. That helps a bit. They never come out like regular fries, though. Even deep frying them doesn't result in super crispiness. They're better that way, but not perfect.
  • ohdwan2
    ohdwan2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting them into thinner or smaller pieces, cover in a little bit more oil, and placing them on the top ⅓ of the oven. Works for me!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Baking them on a layer of parchment paper helps too, it soaks up some of the moisture so they go crisper. You won't need to use as much oil this way too.
  • rodduz
    Options
    I do use EVOO. I have cut them thinner to day and will put them in at 220 instead of the usual 200. I've also just put them in water for a few hours, I know that gives normal potatoes (I know they're not actually related) more crisp when frying them. I've had them out at pubs and the outer is lovely and crispy, will never get the inside crispy.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The only way I found to do it was to coat them in cornstarch - but then that adds calories.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've heard soaking them in water for a while helps.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This recipe suggests baking them with cornstarch, and also once they're done baking, turn off the oven and crack it open.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/09/12/baked-sweet-potato-fries/

I've also had luck with slicing the potato as thinly as possible, then microwaving the hell out of it.
  • rodduz
    Options
    I seen cornstarch listed on a few recipes, can we get it in the UK though? Never heard of the stuff!
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've tried the corn starch on both potatoes and wings in the oven. It helps, but I haven't perfected it yet, so I can't give too many specifics.

The corn starch helps by drawing extra water out of the food.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Make them very thin and use oil. :)
  • rodduz
    Options
    Thin for the win!! They're very thin so will keep a close eye in case they burn!

Cheers.

Will update with the outcome!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump... for reading later!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I seen cornstarch listed on a few recipes, can we get it in the UK though? Never heard of the stuff!

In the UK it is cornflour...
  • rodduz
    Options

In the UK it is cornflour...

Thanks
  • sshilcr
    sshilcr Posts: 3
    Options
    I have found frying them in a frying or pan and covering with a lid really cooks them fast and crispy. Cooking i the oven takes time and they never get very crispy or it takes too long and they come out burned.
  • chefbrandon82
    Options
    Try baking them on a rack so there can be no moisture build up around fries. Also use the convection setting on your oven if it has one. I would also try doing them like regular fried fries and try a 2 step cooking process by par cooking first(325°F) then cooking under high temp(475°F).
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try par-cooking them? I use this trick on normal oven-fries, where I boil the fries for about 5 minutes, strain, pat dry, and into the pan with a spritz of spray pam. Gets normal oven fries crispy, not sure how a sweet potato would respond.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Broil on high for a minute or two before taking them out. Watch closely to not burn them.