eating more to lose weight

Options
Hi all, just hoping to get some general advice on eating more to lose weight.

So i currently weigh 159lbs,and i am 5'2 and 23 years old. My goal weight is 135lbs. For about the past month i started working out 5-6 times a week, usually fitness blender HIIT workouts and strength training. I did see a change in my body and i did lose inches, this was whiles i was eating 1200 calories and most often not eating back my exercise calories.
From about last week i started getting soooo hungry i couldn't believe it,so i decided to up the calories to a max of 1400 without eating back my exercise calories. The hunger sill hasn't stopped and now i find myself binge eating and loading on carbs.
I decided to do a bit of research and noticed a lot of people saying that they lost weight while eating more. It sounded like exactly what i need to get back on track.
I used the website http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/ to work out my bmr which was calculated at 1531. I just started the fitness blender 8 week plan which has a 6 day a week workoutplan of a mixture of cardio and strength, so i chose the activity level very active. I also have a 1 year old who keeps me busy and we go for walks etc which would add to that. The result says i should eat 2422 calories everyday.
I want to find out if this needs to increase on days i workout and decrease on days i dont. Also what should my rough intake of carbs, protein and fats be each day.

Sorry for the long essay and thank you for reading. Look forward to reading your comments

Replies

• warrio1010
    warrio1010 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    IMO it's complicated to have a dynamic calorie goal, only change it if you feel extreme fatigue during a workout and you're already eating 2 hours before working out.

As for macro nutrient goals maybe try:
    0.8 BW protein (0.8 x 159)
    50g fat
    fill up the rest with carbs

and you can play with those numbers if you prefer to eat carb dominant foods etc just get a good balance.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I definitely can tell you you MUST eat your "banked" cals. I was not eating mine and my weightloss just stopped, and then I had a talk with my trainer and she kept telling me to "eat more" and I was confused. It was because I wasn't eating my calories I was getting from working out. As soon as I started doing that the weight started coming off again.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Theres a group about how to eat more to lose weight. I don't remember the name, but you could search for it under grouops in the sub menu on this forum.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My limited experience suggests that eating when hungry is probably a good thing. I shoot to keep things in the 1700-1900 calories a day range for myself but if I'm hungry I just add a meal in there. Yesterday I added two meals in there because I went on a long bike ride.

I'm not sure how much this helps but for me I've ditched the snacks and just eat real portioned meals as often as I need. Meats, veggies and fruits are about 99% of my daily intake. Out in the wild I can EASILY go through 1200 calories in a sitting at McDonalds but sitting at home a turkey burger and big bowl of veggies fill me up for 300 calories so I aim for that whenever possible.

So eat when you are hungry but try to eat smart, filling, nutritious meals to save the guilt and remorse that I often get when I blow it on fast food indulgence.

I personally don't eat back many of my exercise calories but I'm not afraid to either. I just do my best to respond to my bodies actual hunger queues with meal choices that I'm in control of.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just hoping to get some general advice on eating more to lose weight.

So i currently weigh 159lbs,and i am 5'2 and 23 years old. My goal weight is 135lbs. For about the past month i started working out 5-6 times a week, usually fitness blender HIIT workouts and strength training. I did see a change in my body and i did lose inches, this was whiles i was eating 1200 calories and most often not eating back my exercise calories.
    From about last week i started getting soooo hungry i couldn't believe it,so i decided to up the calories to a max of 1400 without eating back my exercise calories. The hunger sill hasn't stopped and now i find myself binge eating and loading on carbs.
    I decided to do a bit of research and noticed a lot of people saying that they lost weight while eating more. It sounded like exactly what i need to get back on track.
    I used the website http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/ to work out my bmr which was calculated at 1531. I just started the fitness blender 8 week plan which has a 6 day a week workoutplan of a mixture of cardio and strength, so i chose the activity level very active. I also have a 1 year old who keeps me busy and we go for walks etc which would add to that. The result says i should eat 2422 calories everyday.
    I want to find out if this needs to increase on days i workout and decrease on days i dont. Also what should my rough intake of carbs, protein and fats be each day.

Sorry for the long essay and thank you for reading. Look forward to reading your comments
    2422 sounds very high to lose weight. Also, I wouldn't say you are very active, maybe lightly active. I am 3" taller than you and would definately gain eating that much.
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Theres a group about how to eat more to lose weight. I don't remember the name, but you could search for it under grouops in the sub menu on this forum.

Check http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less out. They have some very helpful people in that group.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The result says i should eat 2422 calories everyday. I want to find out if this needs to increase on days i workout and decrease on days i dont. Also what should my rough intake of carbs, protein and fats be each day.

That number is kind of high I think. For a 10% calorie reduction, scooby puts you at 2359 assuming 5-6 hours of strenuous exercise per week: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ (default reduction is 20% which gives you 2097 per day).

When you use those calculators, you don't eat exercise calories back. They add in the exercise for you and average them out over the week. That's why you eat them every day. But recheck your numbers.
  • missdreaxxx
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. For the past few days i have been eating around 1800 cals a day of healthy and i have already dropped 2lbs. should i stick with this for now as i am seeing results or should i use the scooby caluculator results chnging my activity level to lightly active?
  • rimi_naushad
    rimi_naushad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    wow theres a way that we can eat more to lose more weight?:D
    all this while i was tryin to eat almost 1000 cal as i kept my goal around 1200 cal / day
    so that i will lose weight quickly but guess i was doin it wrong :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. For the past few days i have been eating around 1800 cals a day of healthy and i have already dropped 2lbs. should i stick with this for now as i am seeing results or should i use the scooby caluculator results chnging my activity level to lightly active?

I prefer IIFYM.com to get my TDEE number which is your maitenance.

Then subtract off up to 20% (depending on how much you want to lose).

According to IIFYM.com your BMR is 1530...and TDEE is 2238 (with exercise 5x a week) so eating 1800 calories a day will result in weight loss...but using this method you DO NOT eat exercise calories back.

But when you are using these websites you do include your exercise calories...but you don't eat them back.

and Yes the goal should be to eat as much food as possible and still lose weight...
  • missdreaxxx
    Options
    Thanks. This is so great. If only i found out this earlier as opposed to starving myself. lol