How I gave up pasta.

**Edit** I feel like I need to say this, since it seems people are already sorta getting the wrong Idea about this. I am not saying ANYONE should give up carbs, or pasta. I am telling you what worked for //// me \\\\ and I figured I would share for others looking to possibly find a healthier option, and an easy way to eat more super yummy veggies. ^_^
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay first a little back story. =D

I try to eat low carb. And on tue/thur I don't eat any carbs.

And by carbs I mean bread carbs, as in pasta or bread. I eat all the veggies I want. Now.. I do not eat french fries, but I will eat sweet potatoes etc and other "healthy" veggie carbs.

I pretty much had to give up pasta which is hard since my husband is Italian and it was always something we ate at least once a week in our house. Plus.. pasta is cheap as .. well you know lol

Well I learned about a sprializer.

BEST THING E V E R.

IF YOU HAVE NOT HEARD WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING. =D

I make Zucchini pasta now and I will never go back.

tumblr_n3n5jtLhFK1ri5j7do1_1280.jpg
I have even fooled my kids into eating zucchini spaghetti now.

You can also do other veggies but I find zucchini works the best!

I like to use this on cucumbers too for salads etc. I have only made fries once, and I would prob use it all the time for fries but since I don't eat them I don't even bother =p

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402148099&sr=8-1&keywords=spiralizer

My fav way to use these "noodles" is

Saute Mushrooms, Onions, Green (or red or yellow) peppers, and Garlic until soft. (anything on hand works for this)

I usually "grate" a carrot into this. You could easily toss in cooked carrots but I like grating mine into little flakes (makes it look pretty too)

I add a tsp or two of sun dried tomatoes, and usually 2 marinated artichoke hearts and some of the oil from the artichoke jar.

Add a few diced Roma Tomatoes, and cook that all up a bit and let the tomatoes break down a little bit into a 'sauce".

Add spices, oregano, pepper, basil, thyme etc

Then I add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cream cheese to make it creamy (you can 100% skip this and it still tastes amazing)

Then when everything is nice and creamy I toss in the zucchini and just toss it in the mix until it's warm.

This is my goto recipe when I am craving pasta. =D

You and add chicken to this or any meal really. I normally add leftover turkey kielbasa and that tastes really yummy with this!

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    I eat pasta when I'm craving pasta. Veggies are not pasta. Thanks for showing us a cool toy, though. It looks like a great way to get kids to eat their veggies! :flowerforyou:
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    I eat pasta when I'm craving pasta. Veggies are not pasta. Thanks for showing us a cool toy, though. It looks like a great way to get kids to eat their veggies! :flowerforyou:

I actually eat alot of things when I crave them, but this is really healthy and it worked a hell of alot better then spaghetti squash to curb cravings, especially on my "no carb" days.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Expect a dog pile. This sort of post usually causes one.

Congrats on finding something you like so much!

For future clarification: you eat a lot of carbs on your "non carb days". What you're eating less of is "starchy carbs" (some folks call them "starches"). Granted, even your sweet potato is a starchy carb, but many folks find their bodies don't respond to tubers the same way they do to bread. I'm only saying this, because it will likely be part of the dog pile (misusing terms). The bulk of the dog pile will be about giving up foods, or making substitutions, which is, apparently tantamount to heresy here.

Again, congrats on finding something that works for you. And congrats on your weight loss. FABULOUS.
  • Lilenatalem

For future clarification: you eat a lot of carbs on your "non carb days". What you're eating less of is "starchy carbs" (some folks call them "starches"). Granted, even your sweet potato is a starchy carb, but many folks find their bodies don't respond to tubers the same way they do to bread. I'm only saying this, because it will likely be part of the dog pile (misusing terms). The bulk of the dog pile will be about giving up foods, or making substitutions, which is, apparently tantamount to heresy here.

Again, congrats on finding something that works for you.

Well I don't "eat alot" I still try to limit my carbs of any kind on my "no carb" days, but say that I am super craving carbs, this meal would be something I would make up in lou of you know.. eating pasta lol.

I just don't hold bread carbs or even potatoes the same way as I would get carbs from like an apple... if that makes sense.
  • Why would I give up pasta? also why would you give up on carbs :noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Again, congrats on finding something that works for you.

Well I don't "eat alot" I still try to limit my carbs of any kind on my "no carb" days, but say that I am super craving carbs, this meal would be something I would make up in lou of you know.. eating pasta lol.

I just don't hold bread carbs or even potatoes the same way as I would get carbs from like an apple... if that makes sense.
    Sure. Because they aren't. Just offering you a slightly different way to talk about them.

I eat at least 90% of my carbs in the form of vegetables and fruits, and 10% (or less) from grains. I get it.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Looks like a cool option for zucchini but yeah, you will probably get fried for calling "pasta" because....it's not.

I do have a question though (and I apologize if it was in your original post as it was TL;DR) how do you avoid the zucchini getting super watery when using it with a sauce?
  • Lilenatalem
    Looks like a cool option for zucchini but yeah, you will probably get fried for calling "pasta" because....it's not.

I do have a question though (and I apologize if it was in your original post as it was TL;DR) how do you avoid the zucchini getting super watery when using it with a sauce?

LOL if people wanna ***** at me for calling a veggie pasta let them, it feels like spaghetti when I eat and that's good enough for me.

Anyways I actually add it at the end when everything else is cooked and only "cook" it until it's warm. So it usually holds up and stays firm.

I have had this the next day as left overs and it still tastes good but yeah the zucchini noodles do get soft but I deal with it. =D
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Spaghetti squash is great too. 42 calories a cup vs 200 for pasta.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Not giving up pasta, but I like food toys and zucchini! Where'd ya get it, how much?
  • Lilenatalem
    Why would I give up pasta? also why would you give up on carbs :noway:

I gave up pasta because it's too many calories and I can (like I have) find healthier things to eat then a bunch of food that's going to make me hungry in a few hours anyways.

I only give up carbs 2 times a week and I probably wont do this forever. It's just to help me dial back my carbs is all.
    When you spent most of your life eating tons and tons of rice and pasta and bread I needed to learn to eat more healthier without all those extra unneeded carbs.

I still eat carbs. I love carbs. I still enjoy a piece of toast with eggs, I still eat wraps, I eat sandwiches. I just don't eat carbs with every meal.

I am trying to eat more protein and more veggies and less carbs I guess over all.

Anyways people are so hung up on carbs.. Lol wow.

I just thought I'd share a fun thing I bought, it makes SUPER yummy delish "pasta" and it's a great way I got my kids to eat more veggies.
  • Lilenatalem
    I posted a link in the post. LOL i guess my post was too long.. (it actually isnt long I just put alot of spaces so it wasn't a wall of text)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spiralizer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3620779319&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=184114965658433190&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5cz2f6uud4_b

It's only like 35 bucks (I think that's how much mine was)

There are a TON of food blogs with tons of recipes that uses this too, just gotta look. I found a ton of stuff on pintrest!
  • LunaZuriel
    LunaZuriel Posts: 77 Member
    I shall have to try this zucchini pasta..*Taps chin* I love Spaghetti Squash so I may just love Zucchini Pasta!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    I posted a link in the post. LOL i guess my post was too long.. (it actually isnt long I just put alot of spaces so it wasn't a wall of text)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spiralizer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3620779319&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=184114965658433190&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5cz2f6uud4_b

There are a TON of food blogs with tons of recipes that uses this too, just gotta look. I found a ton of stuff on pintrest!

Cool! Not too long but my coffee hasn't quiiiite kicked in. Gracias!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    mmmmmm pasta. I run so I can eat alot of pasta.....yummy.

My sister swears by spaghetti squash. I am a bit suspect.
  • Lilenatalem

Cool! Not too long but my coffee hasn't quiiiite kicked in. Gracias!

ahah I gotcha hon. =D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I want to buy one so badly but it's too much money for a gadget, lol.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    I bought one of those when I did gluten free for a while. I still use zucchini for my pasta though.

I don't believe in tricking my kids though... I make dinner. They eat or go hungry.
  • Lilenatalem
    mmmmmm pasta. I run so I can eat alot of pasta.....yummy.

My sister swears by spaghetti squash. I am a bit suspect.

I like spaghetti squash but it never ever gave me the "pasta" feel. the consistency is nothing like pasta. It can be made super yummy and I still buy it and eat it but it never gave me the pasta feel. The zucchini like this does 100%.

I LOVE zucchini, I lost making it into pasta, I love cutting it in half and scooping out a little bit and putting like ground turkey and tomatoes and cheese and making "boats" out of them.

Zucchini is the best!! All the noms!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    FWIW, I would take that zucchini and add some stewed tomatoes, onions, and tons of yummy seasoning and eat it that way. I would probably add alot of cheddar cheese to it and throw it in the oven.

SUPER YUMMY!!!!! My grandmother used to make something similar when I was little but we sliced the zucchini. My husband who hates zucchini, will eat it that way.