Increase in weight with exercise, up by 4 lbs :(

Options
Dear All,

I have been working out (30 day shred) level 2 from the last 10 days with a rest day in b/w.

I checked my weight today and its up by 4 lbs(from 185.1 lbs to 189.5), I feel so disappointed.

Been working so hard with the exercises despite my tight schedule and have no reward.
It was an emotional moment with tears... :cry:

Guys, Iam unable to figure whats going wrong?won't I be able to reduce weight??

Should I be incrementing my daily exercise from level 1 to level 1 and level 2 combined.

Please help ... I feel so bad today.. :ohwell:

-Suz

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Also, is it near TOM? And when working out, are you sweating? Also, how's your sodium intake? And lastly, what's your social security number? Lol. JK.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising I put on 5lb. It's water retention in the muscles. Don't worry, it will sort itself out.
  • bluepanda512
    bluepanda512 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey hi,

As per MFP, I have been eating close to 1470cals per day, and on couple of days beyond that.

Sweating.. yea a lot..there have been times when I dragged myself to office with damn sore body.:explode:

SSN ...:happy:
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    I say don't feel defeated yet. Give your body time to adjust to the changes you're putting it through.
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    How to check the water retention in the muscles, any means to analyze that? symptoms/tests/signs??

If its the case, when does it come down?

so sorry for so many questions...
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    The only way to tell is feeling bloated. If that's the case drink more water. When you're drinking lots more your body holds onto less.

But I'd still suggest you just give it a bit of time and don't stress. You're on the right path.
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    Thank you dear for the sweet words, its so nice of you ..:flowerforyou:
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    We all need patience. That's what makes so many struggle to succeed.
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    whats 'TOM'? I couldn't get it though?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The only way to tell is feeling bloated. If that's the case drink more water. When you're drinking lots more your body holds onto less.

But I'd still suggest you just give it a bit of time and don't stress. You're on the right path.

I'll second this. You are lifting more weights and the muscles need the water to help repair themselves and get stronger.

Something I do is take measurments on my neck, chest, both arms, belly at navel, hips, and thighs. I figure so long as the belly is the same or smaller and the others are slowly getting bigger I'm on the right path.

That way you have a lot more than one number (the scale) to guide you.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at the scale.

Muscle weighs more then fat.

Be worried about inches lost, not what your scale is telling you.

You will be a much happier person I promise you. =D
  • naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    start taking your measurements instead. tape measures and photos show exercise change, not scales.
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    I revisited my goals thinking I might be going wrong somewhere...
    Need help people if there is any error from my side...

my stats that I entered with MFP:
    cw:185 lbs
    gw:154 lbs
    height : 5' 6''
    lifestyle : sedentary(working from 9am to 7pm)

Suggestions from MFP:

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,970 cal/day

Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,470 cal/day

Daily Calorie Deficit 500 calories

Projected Weight Loss 1 lb/week

As per my understanding my daily calorie intake has to be 1470 per day.

Iam adhering to the same close to 1470cals, and including exercise it stays less than that(on most of the days).

Is there anything where my understanding is going wrong with MFP suggested calories?

pls help...!
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    Hey Hi, bostonwolf, Lilenatalem, naomigee161..

Shall be taking my measurements today...thank you for the good advices..

And redo after another 10days..

Please help me with my MFP goals...are they right or my understanding in error?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not relying solely on exercise to cause weight loss. Exercise is for health and fitness and retaining some of your muscles as you lose weight. It's eating at a deficit that has more to do with weight loss.

Also, as a previous posted said, take measurements. That's what really matters, right?
  • Lilenatalem
    Options
    Hey Hi, bostonwolf, Lilenatalem, naomigee161..

Shall be taking my measurements today...thank you for the good advices..

And redo after another 10days..

Please help me with my MFP goals...are they right or my understanding in error?

Just to give you an idea of where I am at.

I eat 1430 calories a day. I eat my "banked" calories I get from working out.

I work out with a trainer for 30 min, mon, wed, fri, We do alot of strength Training and usually fridays are pure cardio. I TRY to walk 5 days a week for at LEAST 2 miles (but am trying to do at least 5, but end up closer to 3 lol)

I drink usually 12 glasses of water a day, I SHOULD be drinking 14-16. (everyone should drink half their body weight in OZ daily)
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Points 1, 3 and 4 - YES, YES, YES...

Point 2... a pound of feathers and a pound of muscle weigh... guess what. A POUND.
    / rant... (sorry... that muscle weights more comment is a huge nerve grater for me) :grumble:

The muscle simply takes up a lot less space, hence body fat and measurements are your best way to determine decrease in overall body fat percentage/muscle gain.

I have clients who have only lost a few pounds, but actually lost 10 to 20 inches or more. Simply by increasing their lean muscle mass and decreasing their body fat.
  • Lilenatalem
    Options

Points 1, 3 and 4 - YES, YES, YES...

Point 2... a pound of feathers and a pound of muscle weigh... guess what. A POUND.
    / rant... (sorry... that muscle weights more comment is a huge nerve grater for me) :grumble:

The muscle simply takes up a lot less space, hence body fat and measurements are your best way to determine decrease in overall body fat percentage/muscle gain.

I have clients who have only lost a few pounds, but actually lost 10 to 20 inches or more. Simply by increasing their lean muscle mass and decreasing their body fat.

When i say muscle weighs more then fat I don't mean that a pound of muscle magically weighs more then 1 lb of fat. I'm not an idiot. lol

What I mean is, when you are losing weight, and working out and GAINING muscle you will put weight ON even though you are losing. Because you are gaining much needed muscle (which will help with burning more fat over all). People tend to get upset/discouraged when they see gains. But if you are doing things right (eating working out etc) You will gain weight sometimes faster then you are losing it because you are adding muscle to your body.