Somewhat OT: Dogs and running

Options
At what age would it be ok for a dog to be going longer distances with running/walking? Ive taken my German Shepherd 5+ miles and she loves it but shes 2 1/2. We have a lab puppy thats about 4 1/2 months. When would be a good time to start bringing her along? I always bring them water.

Replies

• Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Everything I've been told about long distance running with dogs is NOT to do it. Very bad on most breeds! :( Only a few are capable of it. We're not talking about a few km's here, that won't hurt them, but unless you have a husky or some other long distance breed it's apparently very hard on them, at least jogging or running.

Walking though... I have a lab, I started taking mine out at about 6 months with no issues. Walks of any length won't bother them much though, just make sure they have access to water if it's pretty hot out.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Everything I've been told about long distance running with dogs is NOT to do it. Very bad on most breeds! :( Only a few are capable of it. We're not talking about a few km's here, that won't hurt them, but unless you have a husky or some other long distance breed it's apparently very hard on them, at least jogging or running.

Walking though... I have a lab, I started taking mine out at about 6 months with no issues. Walks of any length won't bother them much though, just make sure they have access to water if it's pretty hot out.
    Yeah breed makes a big difference. My german shepherd likes to walk and will do a little jogging. But my husky will run ALL day if I could let her. Mostly I just walk them or take them to the dog park for exercise though which they both like.
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Limit running with a puppy until they are fully grown (1-2yrs) as the extra pressure is not good for their joints. This is the reason many dog clubs (including my local one) do not allow dogs under 18mths to do agility classes due to the jumping involved. Larger dogs need to wait longer. Train the puppy so they are use to walking correctly with you but I personally would recommend waiting to do any more than brief little runs with the puppy. Talk to your vet the next time you visit to get personalised advice for you dog. I'm sure you have with your GS but ensure you build up distance slowly so the dog builds stamina.

Have fun :)
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    definitely ask your vet. most people here are no veterinary professionals, thus cannot give professional advice. :)
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    4 1/2 months is young to run at steady pace for a dog. Generally, one year is the rule, especially for bigger dogs who have a lot of growing to do. But ask your vet, they are the experts!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    definitely ask your vet. most people here are no veterinary professionals, thus cannot give professional advice. :)

QFT

And to add, I've trained 4 agility dogs and we never do anything at height or strenuous until their growth plates are closed, which can only be verified with an x-ray.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Everything I've been told about long distance running with dogs is NOT to do it.

^^ sounds like good advice

I don't know about specific breeds of dogs, but based on what I know about biology, humans are fairly unusual among mammals in our ability to withstand long distance running. Most mammals are sprinters and not cut out for long distance running. Humans have a mostly hairless body and we sweat over our whole body, and our running gait is particularly efficient for long distance running. It's thought that our early ancestors did persistence hunting, which is where they hunted other mammals by running after them repeatedly, tracking them down each time they got away, never letting them rest until they died of heat exhaustion - exploiting our ability to lose heat much more easily... other mammals are covered in fur and only lose much heat through their mouths (which is why dogs pant when hot).

As such you can't expect another mammal species - especially not one covered in fur that pants when hot - to be able to cope with long distance running in the way a human can... it doesn't surprise me that there'd be some variation in terms of the breed as humans have bred certain dogs as hunting dogs, but even in breeds like husky that have been bred to run long distances, bear in mind that they were bred for running in a very cold climate as a sled dog, so that needs to be kept in mind when it comes to the issue of dogs staying cool on long runs.

A vet would know far far more about this than me, I'm a jack-of-all-trades biology/evolution enthusiast who doesn't know that much about dogs specifically. But in terms of human evolution, we have a number of specific adaptations for long distance running that other mammals don't have, and we're unusual among mammals in that respect.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Everything I've been told about long distance running with dogs is NOT to do it.

I don't know about specific breeds of dogs, but based on what I know about biology, humans are fairly unusual among mammals in our ability to withstand long distance running. Most mammals are sprinters and not cut out for long distance running. Humans have a mostly hairless body and we sweat over our whole body, and our running gait is particularly efficient for long distance running. It's thought that our early ancestors did persistence hunting, which is where they hunted other mammals by running after them repeatedly, tracking them down each time they got away, never letting them rest until they died of heat exhaustion - exploiting our ability to lose heat much more easily... other mammals are covered in fur and only lose much heat through their mouths (which is why dogs pant when hot).

As such you can't expect another mammal species - especially not one covered in fur that pants when hot - to be able to cope with long distance running in the way a human can... it doesn't surprise me that there'd be some variation in terms of the breed as humans have bred certain dogs as hunting dogs, but even in breeds like husky that have been bred to run long distances, bear in mind that they were bred for running in a very cold climate as a sled dog, so that needs to be kept in mind when it comes to the issue of dogs staying cool on long runs.

A vet would know far far more about this than me, I'm a jack-of-all-trades biology/evolution enthusiast who doesn't know that much about dogs specifically. But in terms of human evolution, we have a number of specific adaptations for long distance running that other mammals don't have, and we're unusual among mammals in that respect.

^ This. Talk to your vet. Most dogs really aren't adapted to distance running.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't run with them until they're at least a year old.

Build up their stamina gradually, but dont expect them to be able to run really long distances.

And always check their paws and pads carefully afterwards.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've jogged with my dog who is now 14 months since she was about 6-7 months with our vets ok. Granted I jog pretty slow (10-11 min miles ) and she's not even working hard. I never jog her more than 3 miles, but will walk her up to 5. She's very active and without a walk or jog causes more trouble. She loves it. She's a mixed unknown breed so not sure if she's made to run but loves it. She's 28 lb with long legs.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options

I love how many truly intelligent responses I get to read in these forums, and all the new and different perspectives!

You guys are the best. Love MFP! :smile:
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Puppies, which your younger dog is should be walked for 5 minutes per month in age so a 4 month dog should only be doing a 20 minute walk.
    However, people are talking about long distance running as if you are doing marathon training. I would think once your pup is fully grown and fit (ie you would need to build it up) she should be able to cope with your 5 mile runs easily enough.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Limit running with a puppy until they are fully grown (1-2yrs) as the extra pressure is not good for their joints. This is the reason many dog clubs (including my local one) do not allow dogs under 18mths to do agility classes due to the jumping involved. Larger dogs need to wait longer. Train the puppy so they are use to walking correctly with you but I personally would recommend waiting to do any more than brief little runs with the puppy. Talk to your vet the next time you visit to get personalised advice for you dog. I'm sure you have with your GS but ensure you build up distance slowly so the dog builds stamina.

Have fun :)

^^ the dog should be fully grown and then it s breed dependend. Some dogs are prone to joint and hip problems. Therefore, ask you vet. Also, it depends how fast and far you run. I do a combination of running/walking when out with the dogs (Wheaten terriers) and this gives them time to rest, but then...mine seems to be running non stop and mich faster than I can...

Stef.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question that has a lot of variables...

How far do you run?
    How fast do you run?
    How hot is it where you are?
    Does your pup have any health issues or special concerns (I might be concerned with exacerbating pre-disposed hip dysplasia in a lab.)

I would discuss all of these issues with your pup's vet and see what they think.

I run with my 2-1/2 year old pit bull, and it is great, but a) usually don't run more than 5K; b) run very slowly; c) live in AZ so it is way too hot to run now (heat stroke and burned paws from hot pavement); d) my dog doesn't have any health issues that would be exacerbated by running.

If you do decide to start running, make sure you give your pup the benefit of a walk/run interval program to get going and build his endurance.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone on not till at least a year old. I saw a young girl jogging yesterday with a very young puppy looked like a lab ,of course he looked like it was fun and was willing but im sure she was unaware of how much potential damage she was causing.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I loved all the great answers. So far all Ive done with her is training walks a few blocks around working on the leash training. Stop, sit, etc. Mostly for the leash training and distractions. We do go to the dog park for exercise. My GSD has been going on runs with me but it is run/walk intervals bc I struggle to go far myself without stopping for a walk usually its about a 5k distance but I am trying to convince myself to up my distances lol. I very much appreciate everyones responses I will definitely keep my little Remi (the pup) home for the runs and give her a good walk afterwards.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This does make a lot of sense. My question is....what is defined as 'long distance running' serious question here lol. Im new to running hence the walk/run pattern.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I run regularly with my fiche spaniel at 5 km. my weim is more built for longer distances, and I've done the I'd 10k with him.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

This does make a lot of sense. My question is....what is defined as 'long distance running' serious question here lol. Im new to running hence the walk/run pattern.

modern hunter-gatherer tribes that practice this form of hunting generally run for several hours at a time, and at least one such tribe has a ritual where they dance for literally 24 hours straight or even longer, until they hallucinate. Humans really have a remarkable capacity for endurance......... (this of course requires a lot of training, bearing in mind that unfit sedentary humans can barely climb a staircase without getting exhausted!! but in the absence of medical issues/disability, pretty much any human can train themselves to run marathons if they have the will and determination to do so)...... but in an evolutionary context persistence hunting and adaptation to long distance running you're talking about marathons and even longer runs.

regarding what kind of distances dogs can run, AFAIK it varies by breed, and it's something you'd need to check with a vet about. And I'm sure it's also true that dogs would need to be trained and conditioned to be able to cope with longer distances, just like humans, but the maximum dogs can manage even when used to running will be limited by their biology. Other factors like climate need to be taken into account too, as a dog has a greater risk of overheating than a human. I'm not a vet and I really don't know very much about dogs specifically... just mammals generally. Most of my knowledge of biology comes from humans and closely related primate species. So a vet is the best person to advise how far each breed of dog is able to run safely, and how to build up your dog's stamina, what age they can start running, etc.