Vietnamese Pho Recipe... looks fantastic!

Options
I normally skip over the recipe posts in my local newspaper because they're often too complicated for everyday cooking. This one, on the other hand, looks easy and delicious! I think I'd want to sacrifice some authenticity and add some extra veggies, but otherwise... yum!

http://www.thespec.com/living/food/article/308643--vietnamese-pho-or-soup-simple-to-make-and-deeply-flavourful

1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil

1 cup (250 mL) sliced onions

4 slices peeled fresh ginger

1/2 tsp (2 mL) five-spice powder (or pinch EACH of ground cumin, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg)

2-1/2 cups (625 mL) reduced sodium beef broth

2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water

1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce, or to taste, plus extra for garnish

4 oz (115 g) dried rice stick noodles

1/2 lb (225 g) precooked rare beef, cut into strips

2 cups (500 mL) fresh bean sprouts

1/4 cup (60 mL) finely minced packed fresh cilantro, basil OR mint leaves

1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced green onion

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in ginger and five-spice powder. Add broth and water and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in fish sauce.

Put noodles in a heatproof bowl. Pour in enough boiling water to cover noodles and soak until tender, about 3 minutes (or follow package instructions).

Drain rice noodles and return to bowl. Ladle broth into individual bowls. Divide noodles among bowls. Top with beef. Serve with side bowls of sprouts, cilantro, basil and/or mint, hot sauce, lime wedges and fish sauce so each person can garnish their soup to their preference.

Approximate nutrition per serving: 270 calories, 9 g fat, 17 g protein, 31 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre

Replies