Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

People DON'T drink enough water

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Unless you have heart failure like I do. Wish it could be more, but I'm limited to 50 oz. a day of liquids.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Aye aye cap'n! I've been drinking at least 10 cups a day for 2 weeks. I drink them at every-other-hour intervals (yes, I'm on a water schedule! - Two cups at 5:00 a.m., then one at 7, 9, 11, 1, 3, 5, 7). and it ensures that they are nice and spaced out, and I can make sure that I am holding myself accountable. I have noticed a big difference in digestion and water retention. I dropped 5 pounds the first week of doing it. Now I'm just hoping it helps with muscle repair and energy.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    I drink my body weight in ounces every day. More during the summer and I'm outside doing farmwork so I have no problems drinking water. 200+ ounces a day is plenty enough
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Get it down you people, you'll drop plenty more weight by drinking lots... I promise you!

orly? Please explain the science behind this.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    LOLin.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    hydration in general is important it doesn't just have to be water.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20356431

3l for men, 2l for women...

Water is recommend because it is free, calorie free and easy to obtain but juice, milk, beer, wine etc is mostly water as well and contributes to fluid intake and hydration.

Uh, water isn't free, unless you want to drink tap water, which in most places in the US is the same as drinking poison. Bottled water is expensive.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    I love some dodgy science in the morning
    Wait for tomorrow's thread - "How to regulate your breathing because my brain doesn't do it for me automatically."

srsly... :laugh:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    If drinking water caused weight loss there would be no obesity epidemic.

If people couldn't self-regulate their water intake without counting ounces, there also would be no humans. How do people think the animal world survives? Or are they all 'fat' from under-drinking?

I'm not even going to touch 'most tap water is poison'.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Very true. I'm more interested in the bodybuilding perspective.
    And on page 2 he tells us that the meat was for the cat.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member

If people couldn't self-regulate their water intake without counting ounces, there also would be no humans. How do people think the animal world survives? Or are they all 'fat' from under-drinking?

But following this logic humans should also be able to regulate their caloric intake without help of websites like this (since the animal world doesn't seem to have an issue doing it).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I don't know, my dogs get pretty fat if I don't help them regulate. I think with water it's different. There is no intrinsic reward to over or underdrinking like there is with overeating.

I think most humans that do maintain their weight do it without calorie counting. Most of the people I know manage their weight fine and are not overweight (or not much) and none of them count calories. Spending time here, we think the whole dieting/maintaining world is counting calories but I think that's far from the truth.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member

But following this logic humans should also be able to regulate their caloric intake without help of websites like this (since the animal world doesn't seem to have an issue doing it).
    Well, we evolved when food wasn't a comfort, so our bodies evolved to be as efficient as possible at storing fat to get through hard times. Our bodies are shaped for survival, not for bikini competitions :wink: The age of pizza and candies is just a tiny fraction of human history, evolution works over a veeery long time-span. Sorry for digressing, and correct me if I'm wrong
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Body shaming? People want to reach a stage where they are healthy and happy with the way they look

Yeah, he was body shaming and got pretty owned by other people here, too.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    k... thanks!
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    I put frozen water in my vodka. Does that count?

Yes! In bourbon as well . . .
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I have no reason to believe that my hypothalamus wants me to die, so I drink when I'm thirsty.

^^^ this

how much water you need to drink depends on the climate and how active you are... i.e. how much you sweat. I need a lot more water because I live in Bahrain and it's June and the weather is crazy crazy hot... it's a constant battle against dehydration....... but if I drank this much in the British winter, I'd have to live in the bathroom.

Also, drinking way too much water can disrupt the electrolyte balance in your body and kill you. Especially if you combine too much water with a low sodium diet.

8 cups of water a day is fine for a sedentary person in a temperate climate - drink more when you exercise and when it's hot, don't let yourself be thirsty, but you don't need to drink so much water that you end up going to the bathroom several times in a few hours.

Best guide to tell how hydrated you are is to look at the colour of your pee. It should be pale yellow or clear. If it's dark yellow then you need to drink more water. If it's very pale or clear, you don't. Also, if you are constipated that can be another sign of dehydration.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    its true, for me anyways, coming from 230 pounds it was slow and I mean sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, came to a grinding halt at 158 . until I upped the water intake, 8 glasses is normal intake, 2 ltires helped the weight come off faster or so I noticed anyways.
    bleuchhh its hard for me to get that much down now, im lucky if I get in 5 a day. down 3 now, 7 more to go, gawd help me :sad: :sad:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    If everything on the inernet were true, there'd be hundreds of local singles just dying to meet me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I don't know, my dogs get pretty fat if I don't help them regulate. I think with water it's different. There is no intrinsic reward to over or underdrinking like there is with overeating.

I think most humans that do maintain their weight do it without calorie counting. Most of the people I know manage their weight fine and are not overweight (or not much) and none of them count calories. Spending time here, we think the whole dieting/maintaining world is counting calories but I think that's far from the truth.

I can maintain my bodyweight without calorie counting because I'm pretty much in tune with my body's hunger signals so long as I'm careful to get enough protein. However, when it comes to cutting (losing fat) then I have to count calories, because otherwise I end up eating at maintenance and not losing weight. Eating for weight loss is different to eating for maintenance.

Some diets, e.g. low carb, paleo, can enable people to eat at a calorie deficit without counting calories... but they tend to be very hit and miss and a lot of people will still naturally eat at maintenance even on these diets....... and they're the people who end up saying "I'm doing everything right, I'm exercising, eating only clean, healthy foods, why aren't I losing weight?" - the answer is because they're eating at maintenance, not a deficit.

Most naturally lean people who never became obese do maintain their weight without counting calories... but they're maintaining, not losing weight. If someone who's never been obese was naturally eating at a deficit without trying, they'd keep on losing weight until they're dangerously underweight... that's actually really rare...
  • Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    I was having issues with drinking water. After complaining my mom said "You don't drink water!" So, for the last few days I drink 8-10 cups. I feel better and the scale seems to be moving.