Weight Training That Doesn't Feel Like Weight Training?

Options
As I approach my goal weight I'm finding that my body fat percentage is just too high and I've probably lost some muscle mass. I know that I need to do some weight training to decrease my body fat percentage but the problem is that I just don't enjoy it AT ALL, so I really have to push myself to do it and I hate every minute of it. When I'm doing weight training I'm wishing I was out running, or cycling or doing some Zumba. I'm definitely a cardio lover, and running has made my legs look great, but now I've got great legs and a puffy tummy :(
Is there some sort of cardio-workout that can also build muscle? I know I will not be able to keep myself motivated to do the You Are Your Own Gym phone app workouts, I also tried doing a Jillian Michaels DVD (30 day shred) and I found her so irritating to listen to that I couldn't do it anymore. I do not have access to weights (I don't belong to a gym and can't afford to).

Replies

• K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Build muscle or burn fat?
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You could try a Thai Boxing class.Hitting the pads at full power is a great cardio blast and will work the muscles too.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you hate it that much there's no way you're going to stick with it. For what you're wanting to accomplish, you're right, you need to lift. But if you don't want to, I'm not sure what advice to give. You've basically talked yourself out of it completely.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think at some point you are just going to have to do it. I can't think of anything that's going to help nearly as much as at least a body weight resistance program (although I suggest investing in a few dumbbells eventually).

I get it. I hate running and there are many times that I just don't do it. I also realize that even though I can lose weight without it, doing cardio is important for my overall health. So, I suck it up and run. It's part of being a responsible adult (after all, we are ultimately the ones responsible for our own health).

ETA: I'm a female. I know it might not be clear from my profile picture. I had two babies while I was obese and if it wasn't for resistance training there is no way I would have a flat stomach. Even doing a kettlebell workout will be very beneficial for improving body composition and helping you improve how your stomach looks.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There is no cardio that builds appreciable muscle. I you really want to build muscle you have to do some type of resistance training ( body weight, bands or weights). I think you'll just have to decide which is worse - having flab or working out!
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you do yoga correctly, it will build strength very effectively. The problem is that it might be very hard to learn to do it correctly unless you're already starting from some body positioning knowledge. For example, part of doing yoga right is making sure that you're squaring your hips and shoulders when you need to. A good yoga teacher can give you little things to think about that will help you get your body into the right position, and you won't get that from doing yoga videos at home. If you have a background in dance or gymnastics, that might help you to know how to position your body just right. Pilates is also good, but again, it can be hard to learn on your own.

In the past, I've worked with Nautilus machines, which seemed to be pretty pointless for me; YMMV. I've tried light free weights. I tried the Jillian Michaels DVD. I've tried both Wii Fit and the Xbox version, whatever it is. I've found that yoga and pilates work to make me stronger without injury, and everything else I tried either didn't work or caused injury because my form wasn't good.

I think the yogaglo site will give you a free trial. They have some good learn to do yoga videos that might let you dip your toe in and see if that might work for you.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just get on a weight training program and stick with it, make progress, and then you'll start to like it. I mean, I "hate" cardio as much as you hate lifting weights. But after I start doing it a while I start to like it because I"m getting results from it. Also become less sore etc.
  • lkphilley
    lkphilley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    swimming builds muscle because you are working with the resistance of the water and the public gyms have pools and some have trainers .:smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just get on a weight training program and stick with it, make progress, and then you'll start to like it. I mean, I "hate" cardio as much as you hate lifting weights. But after I start doing it a while I start to like it because I"m getting results from it. Also become less sore etc.

This is true. I hate cardio, but it gets better the more we do it. It becomes easier, you see results and it starts to feel better. Strength training is the same way. It might not be enjoyable at first, but it gets better. I also think body weight wouldn't be as rewarding because I know how good it feels to need heavier weights for the same workout.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I do les Mills Body Pump twice a week, it's part cardio, but there's a lot of weight building in it too. I prefer classes to working out by myself, so it works for me. If you aim is to get cut, then you're probably stuck. Although, my instructor has really gained muscle since she started teaching Body Pum, but she does it 5 or six times a week and she uses heavier weights that I can.She's really changed her body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

nailed it.

success and progress leads to more "motivation" or commitment.

You just are not going to get results doing faux weight lifting.
    I do les Mills Body Pump twice a week, it's part cardio, but there's a lot of weight building in it too
    Sorry for this but- it's primarily cardio with with a side of cardio. The amount of reps you have to do is not weight building.
    And I'm not saying it's not hard-or it's bad- it's not and there is a reason I don't do those classes-(LOL that's to much hard work cardio!) but I just want you to understand they aren't doing for you what you think it's doing.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

This is true. I hate cardio, but it gets better the more we do it. It becomes easier, you see results and it starts to feel better. Strength training is the same way. It might not be enjoyable at first, but it gets better. I also think body weight wouldn't be as rewarding because I know how good it feels to need heavier weights for the same workout.

Same here. I love lifting, but I merely tolerate cardio by doing zumba, elliptical and running occasionally. They are some of the only cardio exercises that don't bore me to tears. If you want to build muscle and increase your strength, just deal with it. Your body will get used to it eventually.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    try a kettle bell workout - not one of those prancy ones with pink bells - one from a a good kettle bell trainer - most drill cane done at high rep low weight for cardio or low rep high weight for strength so you can mix it about in the same work out - it sounds like it might work for you
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I started lifting light after I had lost the first 45 pounds. {I've lost 65 pounds, so some of that was muscle} I bought a couple of dumbbell bars and have been slowly adding weights as I get stronger and have more money. Around here weights cost about a dollar a pound after tax, and the two bars are about $15. I've got 50 pounds of weights, so I've spent around $65. I only do strength training for an hour, two times a week, but I can tell it is helping with the BF% and general shape of my body.

And if you can't afford to spend any money, water and a milk jug will provide resistance. There was a thread on a tractor web site I belong to where someone had a whole system set up with cables, pulleys and a bench using gallons of water and a broom stick.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It is possible to circuit train and progressively load (i.e. increase the amount you lift as you get stronger/fitter) as time progresses. That might be a little more interesting for you and still allow you to improve your physique
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You should definitely look into giving Kettlebells a try. They will most certainly aid you gaining muscle and if done at a relatively high rep/set frequency they'll also give you a tremendous cardio workout too.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try bodyweight training? Circuit training? Resistance bands, TRX?
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I second (or is it third at this point in the thread?) the kettlebell suggestion. Especially if you can find a gym in the area that offers training. I go to one where the owners are, I believe, RKC and StrongFirst certified, and it's almost like I am getting personal training some days as it's a small gym. Since you'd be starting out, you could have days that are dedicated to doing some "heavy lifting" (in quotes since it may not be heavy to others) doing military presses, squats, deadlifts, rows, with higher weights, lower reps. And you have days that are more aerobic with circuit training where you're doing some of these exercises with swings, snatches, etc., but using lower weights, higher reps, and with less rest between movements. We also do body weight and TRX exercises in the mix. It's a great mix up and even if you stick to the circuit training part, you're still using weights and increasing strength. So that may be a great start to see how it goes and then move on if you'd like.

I would at some point like to move on to some of those movements with the bar and plates as it can be difficult once you move up in weights just using kettlebells.(I'm pretty darn short to try and hoist up 2 huge bells in a deadlift). I honestly don't know if you would achieve the same results if you got to the point where you were doing more hard core training with kettlebells, I know some of these guys who you see in the you tube videos who are big names in the area are pretty darn muscular, but I imagine they do other weight training as well. My trainer does for sure.

But you'll definitely get a cardio workout with it if you want that as well. It can be challenging and a lot of fun. The workouts seem like they shouldn't be that hard but when you're done it can be tiring but satisfying.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that likes to do Pilates videos off of Youtube. My favorite strength workout used to be indoor rock climbing. It was a great way to build muscle (basically a body weight workout) without really feeling like I was working out.

Lately I just blast some fun music at home and try to get it over with as quickly as possible :) You don't have to lift weights every day for hours to see the kinds of results it sounds like you want.