Atkins vs Paleo

Options
I just read an amazing success story and Paleo was mentioned as a contributing factor in her weight loss. Is there a difference between Paleo and Atkins? Or is it pretty much the same?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    No, they are not the same, and neither one causes weight loss. All you need is a calorie deficit. Low carb and paleo are different diets in the sense of types of food eaten, not diet as in weight loss. Some people do see weight loss when they switch to eating that way by virtue of the fact that they are eating fewer calories, but it's not an "you can eat all you want as long as you eat these foods and you'll lose weight."
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Atkins lifestyle is very structured and a ketogenic way of eating slowing adding in higher carb vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, dairy, grains and starches. Atkins is good if you need to know how different types of foods affect your well being, energy levels and just how you overall feel. You start out at 20 grams of carbs per day and every week you add 5 grams of carbs until you stop losing weight, then that is where you find where your level for maintenance, weight loss and weight gain will occur.

For instance my carb threshold is around 65 grams of carbs per day. I will maintain my weight at this point. Eat less carbs and I lose weight and eat more carbs and I gain weight.

Paleo just gives a list of foods that is allowable and not allowable and there is no structure - you just eat real food.

Message me if you have questions or want more detailed information.

I actually incorporate both Atkins and Paleo in my current way of eating to control blood sugar and insulin levels.