Cyclist v Motorist

Options
tristan299
tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to over take. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal.

Please can I ask any non cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:

Replies

• caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    you are so right. I do not ride as much as I would like, Can not take my 3 little ones with me, but when I see a bike rider I take my time and give them room.
    Some people can be very rude and downright mean. They do not give a Crap about others and they will not change.
    I think that there should be more space for walkers and bike riders. I think if that were the case people would feel more safe riding and walking everywhere.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have no problem giving cyclists their space and generally show a lot of patience when I come up to cyclists on the road. However, I tend to lose that patience when I come across a group of riders who are holding up traffic and making it impossible for cars to pass for miles. If you have a car stuck behind you for more than a couple minutes the polite thing to do, in my opinion, would be to pull off the road and let them by. I think sharing the road is the responsibility of both sides.
  • BikerMan54
    BikerMan54 Posts: 210
    Options
    I always appreciate the drivers out there who give me room when I am on my bike. I always figure that those who don’t care about me and cut me off, etc., drive that way all the time. What I have learned is to ride as if I am invisible to other drivers. I also always make sure that I make contact before proceeding.
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Someone "riding a bicycle" is not necessarily a "cyclist" (people engaged in the serious sport of cycling). Unfortunately, there are way too many of the first kind that give serious and responsible riders a bad reputation. Riding through red lights, not stopping at stop signs, going against the flow of traffic, cutting in and out of bike lanes, etc etc. Many drivers can not differentiate the difference. It just not worth the fight to me anymore.
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it is actually a minority of drivers, giving the majority a bad name. In fact I was having trouble getting out of my right turn onto a busy road on my commute home last night and someone actually stopped to let me across. I will probably decide all drivers hate cyclists again on Monday though when just one idiot completely disregards my safety!
  • tristan299
    Options
    I have no problem giving cyclists their space and generally show a lot of patience when I come up to cyclists on the road. However, I tend to lose that patience when I come across a group of riders who are holding up traffic and making it impossible for cars to pass for miles. If you have a car stuck behind you for more than a couple minutes the polite thing to do, in my opinion, would be to pull off the road and let them by. I think sharing the road is the responsibility of both sides.

Hi Jen

Totally agree with not holding up traffic, there was a bus behind me today on one of the country lanes I was on, pulled in at the first opportunity.

Not sure if you were aware of this but the reason that some cyclist ride side by side is it is safer for them and also quicker (supposedly) for motorist to get by. Your only overtaking 1 bikes length not 2, however you do need more room on you right in the UK (or left more or less everywhere else).

Sorry if that sound pompous or condescending, I don't mean it to just wanted you to know why it's done.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :wink:
  • tristan299
    Options
    Someone "riding a bicycle" is not necessarily a "cyclist" (people engaged in the serious sport of cycling). Unfortunately, there are way too many of the first kind that give serious and responsible riders a bad reputation. Riding through red lights, not stopping at stop signs, going against the flow of traffic, cutting in and out of bike lanes, etc etc. Many drivers can not differentiate the difference. It just not worth the fight to me anymore.

Good points buddy, maybe there should be some sort of cycling road test where you are granted a licence at the end of the test. If you are caught going through red lights riding on pavement or any other "cycling offence you have endorsements put on you licence, to many endorsements and you get fined and have to have a retest. Just a thought.
  • tristan299
    Options
    I think it is actually a minority of drivers, giving the majority a bad name. In fact I was having trouble getting out of my right turn onto a busy road on my commute home last night and someone actually stopped to let me across. I will probably decide all drivers hate cyclists again on Monday though when just one idiot completely disregards my safety!

Totally correct NMT. It's always the minority that give the majority a bad name. I suppose I was just venting. I'm better now. lol
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If all cyclists wore a GoPro or similar camera, there would be more motorists willing to share the road. :bigsmile:
  • tristan299
    Options
    If all cyclists wore a GoPro or similar camera, there would be more motorists willing to share the road. :bigsmile:

Just bid on one on ebay. See what happens
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    because- pedal bikes like to claim as much right to the road as a fully registered vehicle.

And they aren't.

And then when they do things NOT for registered vehicles- they scream- we aren't cars.

and they are often extremely rude about sharing the road and very condescending about how much better they are that they are on bikes.

I ride a motorcycle- I'm aware of how dangerous being exposed on the road is- and even I get excessively annoyed with the entitled attitude of pedal bike folks.

THAT'S why no one likes bicyclists.

sorry... not sorry. noting personal- but the odds tip into the rude A hole camp more than the "polite" camp... much like when I tell people I ride a sport bike- everyone assumes I'm some flip flop wife beater stunting wanna be who lane splits at 120 through free way traffic.
    and even though I don't- there is a large percentage of sport riders who DO behave like that... so we all get lumped into and unless the majority STOP behaving like that- each of our respective groups has to suffer with the unwanted stigma.

sorry mate- that's just the way it is.
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Oh c'mon now, not all cyclists are as horrific as Lance Armstrong, lmao! I try to be patient and courteous to cyclists AND average bike riders (like me!), who might still be learning the rules of the road. Let's face it, they are taking the moral high road (IMHO) when choosing to ride>driving, they are doing the rest of us a favor by putting that much less CO2 into the atmosphere, and doing something for their health. Patience people, it's good for your heart. :)
  • tristan299
    Options
    because- pedal bikes like to claim as much right to the road as a fully registered vehicle.

And they aren't.

And then when they do things NOT for registered vehicles- they scream- we aren't cars.

and they are often extremely rude about sharing the road and very condescending about how much better they are that they are on bikes.

I ride a motorcycle- I'm aware of how dangerous being exposed on the road is- and even I get excessively annoyed with the entitled attitude of pedal bike folks.

sorry... not sorry. noting personal- but the odds tip into the rude A hole camp more than the "polite" camp... much like when I tell people I ride a sport bike- everyone assumes I'm some flip flop wife beater stunting wanna be who lane splits at 120 through free way traffic.
    and even though I don't- there is a large percentage of sport riders who DO behave like that... so we all get lumped into and unless the majority STOP behaving like that- each of our respective groups has to suffer with the unwanted stigma.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion mucker. Even if it is slightly, imo, motorist bias.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

Hi Jen

Totally agree with not holding up traffic, there was a bus behind me today on one of the country lanes I was on, pulled in at the first opportunity.

Not sure if you were aware of this but the reason that some cyclist ride side by side is it is safer for them and also quicker (supposedly) for motorist to get by. Your only overtaking 1 bikes length not 2, however you do need more room on you right in the UK (or left more or less everywhere else).

Sorry if that sound pompous or condescending, I don't mean it to just wanted you to know why it's done.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :wink:

I have no problem with a couple of cyclists riding side by side, and I assure you I really do treat them with patience and respect often encouraging my kiddos to wave at them and whatnot. What we run into in my neck of the woods are groups of 5-20+ that try to all ride together. That is when things start to get frustrating.

You have a good weekend, too and stay safe out there.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

And they aren't.

Sorry. Your wrong. According to most state's laws, including New Jersey, bicycles are vehicles. Every law that applies to vehicles applies to bicycles. Most laws that apply to motorcycles apply to bicycles.
    Bikes also get some special laws in NJ:
    They are not prohibited from driving on the sidewalk (even though it's stupid to do so)
    If they are over 17, they don't have to wear a helmet
    They can operate a vehicles 2 abreast (I'll assume even motorcycles can't do this)
    They don't have to have lights installed when it's not nighttime
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think it's all just a matter of familiarity. Here in the US most people drive cars two blocks to the gym. In parts of Europe and Asia a lot more people walk and ride bikes.

Personally, when I'm on the bike my main concern is to not get run over. I'll ride dead center middle of the lane for as long as needed at whatever speed I am going if that is the safest place for me to be.

Fortunately, more often than not, the side of the road works great and in my city there are extensive dedicated bike trails that avoid cars and stop signs.

I get how frustrating it is to drive behind a slow biker but folks in the cars don't have to dodge glass or pot holes to keep moving along safely. While it might look like I'm just being a jerk and slowing them down, I honestly hardly ever want a two ton SUV tailgating me as they blast their horn so it can be assumed we are both equally uncomfortable.

I do notice that whenever there is an aggressive driver behind me I do end up going slower and taking more of the lane to ensure I have room to maneuver in case of a poorly planned passing attempt. It's survival of the fittest and I am going to win.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hu

And they aren't.

sorry... not sorry. nothing personal- but the odds tip into the rude A hole camp more than the "polite" camp... much like when I tell people I ride a sport bike- everyone assumes I'm some flip flop wife beater stunting wanna be who lane splits at 120 through free way traffic.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion mucker. Even if it is slightly, imo, motorist bias.

No need to get cheeky. I'm suffer a similar stigma. And yes. I am indeed in titled to my opinion.

Scorpio... I'm sorry I can't post you directly.. My phone doesn't like doing multiple posts like that.

Well that was half my point. I didn't realize legally they are viewed as vehicles. But if they are they should be registered and licensed.
    And as you say they are vehicles they should abide by the laws then as vehicles. And like I said above they suffer the same issue I suffer.. The few that do not behave well give the rest a bad name. I just wish it was more consistent. In NY I thought it was completely illegal to do sidewalk riding but it seems they lane split and run lights at will.

I honestly don't go out of my way to be rude to them. . Totally unsafe and not worth it. But I do get annoyed sometimes with them..same level of irritation as the old lady driving 55 on the turnpike Lol.

And I'm apologizing in advance... My phone is really fussy with this window and editing is seriously a ten minute process. But i tried!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not to keep hitting the nail on the head over and over but the truth is that the problem is not in the drivers or the riders but in the government's failure to adapt the infrastructure to safely support both.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to overtake. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal. Please can I ask any non-cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:

Hello, Tristan! I don't have a problem with sharing the road with bicyclists. In fact, a recently-passed law here in CA mandates that I leave space for the bicyclist.

I do, however, have a problem with cyclists who do not obey the rules of the road. And I have seen that all too often of late in my neighborhood (which, BTW, borders a school-zone). What have I seen?

*Groups of cyclists in the middle of the street or riding against traffic (instead of riding single-file with the flow of traffic).
    *Riding on the sidewalk: no problem with this for a young child, but should not be done by anyone over the age of 10. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.
    *Earbuds/headphones: I'm not allowed to use either while driving. How is a cyclist supposed to hear the traffic?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I actually must disagree with this. For every driver that passes me on the road and gives me a wide berth, there are five that will pass by within two feet of my handlebars. I mean, why not? I'll be dead, but the worst that will happen to them will be a scratch in the paint job.
    I do not know anybody who rides a bike a lot who has not had an accident with a car. As you might imagine with a car-versus-bike collision, many resulted in serious injury to the cyclist. Some of them might have been at fault themselves, but still...That is way too dangerous. Something must be done to make it safer.

P.S. Many cyclists ride in the middle of the road as a means of self-protection, so that drivers won't try to squeeze by within inches of the bike, traveling entirely too fast.