Cyclist v Motorist

Options

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    you know-on a bike- right or wrong- you're still dead.

this is the philosophy of motorcyclist and while lashing out seems like a reasonable reaction- it's still stupid since you are on the losing end of the battle. several ton vehicle- 200 pounds total with your bike and you? not a battle worth fighting.
    [/quote]

Smart or not, sometimes it's a necessity.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A True Story

I used to commute to and from work in Utah all the time on my bike and one day was taking the right side of the through traffic lane to avoid being in the dedicated right turn lane.

Some putz got super mad at me and went all Captain Courageous by rolling down his window and cursing at me until the light changed and he sped off.

At the next light I tapped on his window to ask if he wanted to continue the earlier conversation, perhaps outside of his car.

He did not.

As he sped away he started shouting at me how I was lucky and he was gonna kill me if he ever saw me again.

So at the next light I pulled up next to him and waited.

He did not kill me. He said nothing. He stared dead forward like the most interesting thing in the world was the traffic light and all he wanted was for the damn thing to change.

I let it go.

Until I saw him at work the next day.

Yeah, the idiot didn't realize that I worked at the same company as him and was in fact a manager there.

I let the guy have it. I was ruthless. He was terrified. I was off the leash about how he needed to show a little respect for people and try to be a decent human being, the kind that didn't make threats and intimidate people for no reason.

It felt good.

Until I realized something.

He just looked a lot like the guy who cut me off. The cowardly killer really did work with me and just bore an uncanny resemblance to this guy.

I never apologized. I never confronted the other guy. I decided then and there that getting pissed off about trivial things was just stupid and even though its been 20 years I am still ashamed by my childish actions.

I try not to be too judgemental any more if I can avoid it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't live in NJ, your attitude stinks and exactly the type of driver that is the issue. I've been riding for years and I'm always curtious and so are my fellow cyclist. I just hope you don't kill someone with your driving attitude.

think you're replying to me- but my recent points was that picking a fight while you're on a smaller vehicle (bicycle or motorcycle) is a really really bad idea. But if you weren't sorry for this- but i'll address it.

it doesn't matter if you had the right of way- you can tell me all day long we have the right of way- but it doesn't matter how your right of way was- you're still the one who loses the battle against a big vehicle. Plenty of people I know had the right of away and have had thousands of dollars in insurance damage and rehabilitative surgery and PT to deal with someone else's mistake. you're body is the price you pay for challenging a larger vehicle.

I give bikes plenty of lee way- I find them annoying when I have to be around them when I'm in North Jersey and they are EVERYWHERE- but I don't blow by them- I give them plenty of respectful distance and pass at a reasonable speed But that doesn't mean I like having to do it.

My actions and my opinions are not the same. I can not like it and still be respectful.
    It's not worth it in the least to me or to them.
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    This is why I use the cross walk when towing my children. I don't care if the law says otherwise, it is safer! Glad you and yours were alright, very scary indeed!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Maybe so. It's also a good way of handling a dangerous problem.

No it's not, it's a needless escalation that has the potential to lead to significantly higher risk both for yourself, and subsequently other cyclists. Notwithstanding that, at least under UK law and I'd be surprised it equivalents don't exist, it's also an offence of criminal damage.

Yes cage dwellers get too close, equally it's a question of being aware of the situation, and responding accordingly. That response may be to take a different route, it may be to dominate the roadspace, or it may be to take advantage of the small size and relative ease with which one can navigate to make progress in congestion. Never advisable to put oneself in a situation where the individual in control of something that can kill or maim is more irritated.

Of course the same principles apply when I'm cycling, riding my motorbike, or driving.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I try my pass people on bikes with plenty of room and I do everything I can to give them room. With that said live had cyclists suddenly swop out into the road cutting me off. I even had someone do this when I was at a light right as it turned green and I was in an old dodge Dakota.

I even have to deal with a lot of bike races here too and I hate them. Even though they affect the local communities we are never told when they are going on. How hard is it to post to the community Facebook pages or post something at the Post Office a week before the event happens. I would change my schedule to avoid driving when a race is happening because I am so afraid that I could hit someone on a bike.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I try to be very mindful of cyclists but they do tend to drive me crazy. All I see are people that don't obey traffic laws - go through red lights and stops signs all the time. I had one the other night that slowed for a red, rolled through it and then crossed a light rail line. If I had done that I would gotten a couple of hefty traffic tickets.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's an unfortunate ' Universal Law of Humanity' that we rarely notice the good but Always notice the bad. :-(

Take a look again at nearly all of the posts here - they generalise ..... "Cyclists do this... drivers do that ....". Seems to be in our nature and is a hard habit to break.

Why should I get worked up if a bike rolls through a red light? .. Does it affect me? Nope - but it may do him one day when a lorry get's him!!

Does it affect me? Nope - then why the hell do I feel like I've lost something, like it's cost me personally? LET IT GO - It's just not worth getting stressed about (you're turning into Michael Douglas in Falling Down).
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    I even have to deal with a lot of bike races here too and I hate them. Even though they affect the local communities we are never told when they are going on. How hard is it to post to the community Facebook pages or post something at the Post Office a week before the event happens. I would change my schedule to avoid driving when a race is happening because I am so afraid that I could hit someone on a bike.

To be fair thats not the fault of the cyclist taking part in the race it's the fault of the organisers.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    think you're replying to me- but my recent points was that picking a fight while you're on a smaller vehicle (bicycle or motorcycle) is a really really bad idea. But if you weren't sorry for this- but i'll address it.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm retaliating when someone picks a fight with me by trying to edge me off the road. It's called standing up for yourself. If I do it in a manner that makes me look unsympathetic, imagine how much I don't give a damn. I broke this guy's glass, he sped off and stopped trying to push me off the road. I didn't get hurt and it probably cost this *kitten* a couple hundred dollars to fix his window. To me that's a win-win.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's an unfortunate ' Universal Law of Humanity' that we rarely notice the good but Always notice the bad. :-(

Take a look again at nearly all of the posts here - they generalise ..... "Cyclists do this... drivers do that ....". Seems to be in our nature and is a hard habit to break.

Why should I get worked up if a bike rolls through a red light? .. Does it affect me? Nope - but it may do him one day when a lorry get's him!!

Does it affect me? Nope - then why the hell do I feel like I've lost something, like it's cost me personally? LET IT GO - It's just not worth getting stressed about (you're turning into Michael Douglas in Falling Down).

But how would you feel if *you* were driving the lorry? I think a lot of the driver angst here is based on fear that they'll maim or kill someone while being totally in the right traffic-wise.

The whole point of having traffic laws is to set expectations of behavior - people should stop at a stop sign and turn left from the left turn lane... problems occur when the behavior goes against the expectation (running the sign turning right from the left turn lane)

There are several new rails-to-trails bike paths near one of my favorite hiking areas. The paths cross the main road in several locations and the bikes must stop before crossing. I've had several near misses as cyclists blow through the crossing -- I rarely go hiking there anymore because I feel that it's just a matter of time before I kill someone -- I'd be in the right, but that won't change the fact that I'd have to live with it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's not cyclist v motorist. It never has been and this "them v us" mentality does everyone more harm than good.

It's responsible road user v irresponsible road user.

Some people, be they travelling by bike or by car, simply do not have the temperament or skills to be on the road. They need to go. It is not the mode of transport that defines them but their attitudes which frankly are small minded, overly emotional and that of a child throwing a tantrum.

I have been shown amazing courtesy when I am a motorist by cyclists and by motorists when I am a cyclist. This is the majority of the time. Lead by example and over time attitudes will change.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It's not cyclist v motorist. It never has been and this "them v us" mentality does everyone more harm than good.

Some people, be they travelling by bike or by car, simply do not have the temperament or skills to be on the road. They need to go. It is not the mode of transport that defines them but their attitudes which frankly are small minded, overly emotional and that of a child throwing a tantrum.

I have been shown amazing courtesy when I am a motorist by cyclists and by motorists when I am a cyclist. This is the majority of the time. Lead by example and over time attitudes will change.

QFT
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

This is exactly it, well said.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I figure I'd be pretty rude to a car going 10 mph in front of me causing a traffic jam, too. It's not the vehicle, it's the "I'm entitled to cause a traffic jam" attitude.

And there is your problem. you tarnishing every cyclist with the same brush. My average speed is 18mph on my bike. I cycle 2 miles to and from work. I have "race" a friend to work him in his van me on my bike. I beat him in by about 10 seconds as it is down hill so was able to up my overall speed. Going home is different, i beat him by about 5 minutes even though it's up hill. Due to traffic I am able to go passed waiting vehicles, safely as motor cycles also do, this I find hacks of car drivers because they have to sit and wait. My answer to those people is, get a bike you lazy git. Anyway over a short distance a bike is just as, if not quicker than a car depending on your fitness levels.

#1) I doubt you're going to be going 18 mph.
    #2) That's still much less than half the 45-50 I'd be able to go without a cyclist in the way.
    #3) If you want to bicycle the 45 miles I currently drive to work, that's fine with me, but I'm not willing to put in that kind of effort.

SMH, sometimes I really dis-pare with why people doubt what you say. Why tf would I make it up? I doubt you drive a car 45 miles, I doubt you can drive, I doubt you own a car. Mate, it is my humble opinion (moderators please take note it is an opinion and we are entitled to those) you are one of those car drives that think only you should be on the road.

You called me stupid in a personal message, you use words like "differant" and "dis-spare", and you conflate the speed you're able to ride during a workout with the speed you're going to be able to maintain during rush hour with stop lights. I'm not saying you can't ride 18mph. That's not fast. I'm trying to say it's unlikely you're going to be riding 18mph on Prince Avenue in Athens, GA when you're in front of me causing the right lane to build a compression wave that forces a group of cars to wait for another red light.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I ride daily. I don;t drive often, but when I do, I can't stand being behind cyclists! haha JK

So, this morning I am going over the bridge. A car is dragging over into my very large bike lane. As I am approaching from behind- they were crawling, the vehicle is getting cloer and closer to the wall, and almost all the way into my lane, blocking the bike lane completely.

She swerves back into her lane, just as she catches me in the mirror. I flipped sweat all over that texting beeyatches windshield. She nearly crushed me into the wall. She didn't even have her hands on the steering wheel. She is a crappy driver, has nothing to do with me being on a bike.

If that makes me a douche, I'll take it.

But for the most part my ride goes well, I'm nice, and peeps are nice.

When I am driving, I am always kind to cyclists- I have a 140.6 on the back of my car, and I have responsibility to be cool :)

Todd
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Basically, both motorists and cyclists need to come to an understanding and give a little. There are plenty of both who get hot-headed, air-headed, and even both. I'm guilty of it too, especially when I'm almost hit by the motorist that decides his or her text message is more important than my safety. As a motorist, I slow down for a cyclist ahead of me and only pass when I can give him or her the 4+ feet of room according to law. As a cycllst, I make certain to ride as close to the side of the road as is possible and safe. When this is impossible due to cracked up pavement or potholes, I get back to the side as soon as is safely possible and thank the motorist for his or her patience and understanding. Let's face it, most cyclists are also tax payers and therefore have just as much rights to use the road (i.e. non highway or major thorough fares.)

Here is a story of me just being plain stupid. In other words, don't do as I did. At a stop light, an obese motorist driving a Honda Civic rolled down his window and yelled, "Hey look, it's a fat *kitten* on a bicycle." I was tired, hit 30 miles, and was looking for a place to eat, drink, and rest. So, I yelled, "Maybe if you got YOUR lard *kitten* on a bike, you might actually not have to steer with your stomach!" While funny, I've since regretted this. I behaved exactly like my *kitten* gym teacher in high school. If I'm ever faced with the same situation, I will probably say without malice or sarcasm, "Hey man, you know, you're more than welcome to join me. It's a great activity and I could use a riding friend to talk to make the hills seem less steep."
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Same old argument.

Good cyclists complain about bad drivers.
    Bad drivers always cite the bad cyclists.

Both exist, deal with it. When you ride, keep your head on a swivel. Never trust the bozo behind the wheel. You sound pretty foolish saying, "But I had the right of way!" when the doctor is sewing your leg back on.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

+1

I cycle commute about 200 miles a week (sometimes more, sometimes a little less).

I did 8,000 miles in 2013.

I have had NO accidents.

Most of those accident free miles have been thanks to my defensive cycling attitude mixed with strong positioning.

However it does get tiring having to think for other people, especially those few who obviously don't care about others on the road and are only concerned about saving 2-3 seconds before hitting the next traffic light or next traffic queue... (and they don't just do it to bikes).

I have come across both the good and the bad in all forms of transport, most of the bad is either ignorance or impatience, but it can take only one bad driver to put someone off what is a great form of transport.

Remember, the more people who cycle, the less cars you have on the road, and so shorter the traffic queues.

The people who show patience and pass widely I really want to give a big hug, too may drivers pass too closely, without realising the potential dangers.

Here in the UK bikes are entitled to full use of the traffic lane and do not have to use bike lanes, which is very much a good thing as the infrastructure is so poorly designed that most of it is unusable (especially at speed).

Reading some of the responses here I am glad I am in the UK and not in the US.

It makes me sad that I am reading such poor attitudes to other human beings who are just trying to make their way to work or who are just enjoying a day out.

Whether I am driving, cycling or taking public transport, I always do my best to look out for others, my time or journey is no more important than anyone else's .

Plan ahead, leave a little earlier.

When I get on the bike, or behind the wheel, the plan is to get to the destination safely, to be courteous to others and to make sure I do not kill or injure someone on that journey, if that means I am a little late then so be it, my being late is MY fault for not leaving enough time to get to my destination, it's NOT anyone else's fault.