Somewhat OT: Dogs and running

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I will admit up front that I am somewhat biased against the idea of people running with their dogs. I know there are exceptions to that but, from my observation, the average person doesn't use the brains they were born with, doesn't know much about the dogs they own, and doesn't know much about exercise. The combination is usually bad for the dogs.

Again, I know there are dog owners who are knowlegeable, conscientious, and thoughtful on this topic, and there are some breeds that are "born to run". But my viewpoint is colored by the far greater number of selfish, ignorant, aholes I see all the time.

At first I wasn't going to reply to this topic, but I just saw another one. I was driving home from errands and here is some dbag guy in his 20s running with a maltese--at noon on a day where it is already 80+ degrees. He was using a retractable leash (another sign you are a total dumbass), and the poor dog was trailing about 8 feet behind. His tshirt was soaked with sweat. I yelled at him out the open window, but we were probably going too fast for him hear (plus he was wearing headphones--the better to be totally out of touch with how your dog is suffering).

My position when people ask is to actively discourage them from running with their dogs at all. While that may be unfair to a few dog owners, I feel it's better in general, since most people are just too f*@king selfish and stupid to do the right thing.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will admit up front that I am somewhat biased against the idea of people running with their dogs. I know there are exceptions to that but, from my observation, the average person doesn't use the brains they were born with, doesn't know much about the dogs they own, and doesn't know much about exercise. The combination is usually bad for the dogs.

Again, I know there are dog owners who are knowlegeable, conscientious, and thoughtful on this topic, and there are some breeds that are "born to run". But my viewpoint is colored by the far greater number of selfish, ignorant, aholes I see all the time.

At first I wasn't going to reply to this topic, but I just saw another one. I was driving home from errands and here is some dbag guy in his 20s running with a maltese--at noon on a day where it is already 80+ degrees. He was using a retractable leash (another sign you are a total dumbass), and the poor dog was trailing about 8 feet behind. His tshirt was soaked with sweat. I yelled at him out the open window, but we were probably going too fast for him hear (plus he was wearing headphones--the better to be totally out of touch with how your dog is suffering).

My position when people ask is to actively discourage them from running with their dogs at all. While that may be unfair to a few dog owners, I feel it's better in general, since most people are just too f*@king selfish and stupid to do the right thing.
    In that circumstance it is definitely selfish on his part. In some breeds it benefits them quite well as long as youre paying attention to your dog and its needs. My older dog is a German Shepherd. Shepherds are known to become quite destructive if they are not exercised quite extensively or given a job. I personally can't even run to the point she would be exhausted. She can outrun me any day. So it think the generalized statement is quite unfair. There are more breeds than there are not that are not suitable for running but a responsible owner knows their dogs limits. Hence why I haven't yet taken my puppy on an actual run yet. And yes I will be checking with my vet before I do. The blanket statement is just insane though really.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Per bolded:
    Some people are irresponsible so no one should run with their dogs? I'm more about promoting knowledge and safe animal handling, not discouraging it entirely just because a few people don't act appropriately. That guy and his Maltese could benefit from good information. The more people hear about good practices, the more mainstream the knowledge can be and the more good dog owners will be made. How would the OP and all the lurkers with similar questions have benefited if everyone on these forums thought like you did?

Per OP:
    You've gotten some great advice. I have a German short-hair pointer that loves to run. I walk/run 5-8 miles a day and my husband runs a few miles 3-4 times a week. Our dog winds up running/sprinting/pointing/digging/tracking/walking anywhere from 10-25 miles a day depending on how far he ranges. He's off leash and sets his own pace but I'm fortunate to live on large acreage that allows for this, along with having neighbor's permission for him to run on their property if he ranges that far. I'm only conveying this experience because of his need to cool off. I have a stock tank filled with water at the west end of our property, as do my closest neighbors to the south and I have a kiddie pool near the house. Each lap we do is about 1.5 miles and, depending on the temp, he routinely jumps in those tanks/pool to cool off and drink. This is the only reason he's able to go such distances almost every day. Having a cheap kiddie pool in your yard can really help your dog cool off at the end of a particularly hot run or to just cool off while outside at all on any hot day.

Just like others have said, it depends both on the breed, individual dog and conditioning as to how far their going to be able to run. GS, unfortunately, have a high incidence of hip dysplasia so you'd have to keep up with your vet to make sure that yours are still good to go. Their breeding line can have a big impact on this. Lines that come from Europe that haven't been bred to have the sloped back look are less likely to develop this condition (why most police and military working dogs are taken from those lines), the Americanized version suffer from it at a much larger rate.

One thing I do for my dog is messages. He gets one each night before I turn in and he gets one after walk/run I take. My husband isn't as diligent about this. I know a lot of people don't do this but, just as it's good for humans (foam rolling, general message, etc) and their muscles, it's good for your dog.

Okay, this post seems disjointed and rambley to me, I hope something useful comes from it because I just don't have it in me to rework it or delete it all together.

So I'll end with: Cheers, responsible pet owners! :drinker:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sorry for being the one to have disrupted the thread. I should have made it clear that my remarks were not directed to any individual who was posting in this topic. I let my emotions get the best of me, which is always a bad idea in a public forum.
  • Beccajo2004
    Options
    Sorry for being the one to have disrupted the thread. I should have made it clear that my remarks were not directed to any individual who was posting in this topic. I let my emotions get the best of me, which is always a bad idea in a public forum.

I understand where you're coming from I really do. Small breeds just aren't cut out for it and its just cruel. It was the generalized statement of all dogs shouldn't run that got me. I would never take a chihuahua out on a 10 mile run. Thats animal cruelty. But for a conditioned husky in Alaska that has plenty of water and rest/walk breaks if needed its not. I think theres a huge difference.
  • Beccajo2004
    Options
    I think this is a question that has a lot of variables...

How far do you run?
    How fast do you run?
    How hot is it where you are?
    Does your pup have any health issues or special concerns (I might be concerned with exacerbating pre-disposed hip dysplasia in a lab.)

I would discuss all of these issues with your pup's vet and see what they think.

I run with my 2-1/2 year old pit bull, and it is great, but a) usually don't run more than 5K; b) run very slowly; c) live in AZ so it is way too hot to run now (heat stroke and burned paws from hot pavement); d) my dog doesn't have any health issues that would be exacerbated by running.

If you do decide to start running, make sure you give your pup the benefit of a walk/run interval program to get going and build his endurance.

I missed this somehow. I am a beginner runner so I use the term loosely. We usually (my GSD and I) go around a 5K currently, wanting to try upping my distance. This is not non stop running. Its walk/run intervals. Still working on running the full thing bc well I suck at running lol. I guess I should have put more detail into this post considering my ability at running. I "run" very slowly bc of the intervals. I live in Wyoming so it doesnt get horribly hot but I still won't take them during our hottest parts of the day as it does get to around 80-85. Neither dogs have any health problems at the time. Both breeds (lab and GSD) have known hip dysplasia so I will be keeping an eye on that with my vet throughout their lives. I will most definitely be waiting until she gets older to do any running with her and when I feel like she grown Ill get xrays to confirm her growth plates are closed enough so thanks so much for the great info on this thread!

ETA: I originally asked this question bc I wanted to started bringing her along with us on our runs
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

what about those of us with dogs that love to run and can outrun us any day? We should keep them in the house going stir crazy all day???? Runs and walks are the highlight of my dogs day.