Yes, 1200 calorie diets work!

Options

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Wow. I only could get through the third page or so before I felt bad for many of the respondents. It is amazing how everyone here knows everything and will be the first to tell you such. People "speaking from experience" on how "horrible" the diet is need to remember, different people require different diets. Just because this diet did not work for you does not mean it won't work for others. All of these scary stats about the diet make me laugh. That is like me telling someone "DON'T DRIVE! There are so many deaths from driving! You should only take a plane because it is safer! I know this because I drove once and I got hurt but I have never been hurt flying."

I am not a gym rat nor do I desire the "bulky, muscular body". I am still VERY strong but I would be lying to say I am not losing SOME muscle mass. However, I am not "Skinny fat" as many like to comment on.

Here are two points I would like you to think about. One is medically proven and the other is logically proven. Lets start with the logical first.

Logically speaking, you have a choice, 100 calories of McDonald's French Fries or 100 Calories of Celery. To put this in a visual comparison, think about 2/3 of a KID'S sized fries vs several stalks of celery. Which would make you FULLER and HEALTHIER? If I could only eat 100 calories, I would pick celery. Why? Because it will fill me up, keep me full longer AND supply nutrients. What would the McPuke fries do? Leave me hungry, sick and disgusted. Now, replace these foods with ANY foods. 100 Calories of ice cream vs 100 calories of chicken, etc. The logic of this diet is UNDENIABLE. You can NOT eat ANYTHING on a 1200 calorie diet. You have to eat QUALITY food. Now, some of you will still argue "well I eat bacon and eggs every morning. All I need to do is run an extra 4 miles to burn off the bacon" My response, DON'T EAT THE FREAKIN' BACON!!!! hahahaha Replace it with egg whites!

Medically speaking. I have a few loved ones that underwent bariatric surgery. They had a gastric bypass. Guess how many calories they ate for two months post op? Not even 300 calories a day. Geeee, they lost weight dramatically, hair didn't fall out, nails didn't get brittle. Because like smart people, they took vitamins.... For the first few years, guess what their calorie intake went up to UNDER DOCTOR'S ORDERS????? 800-1000. Yes, flamers will argue "well, they were under doctor's care" No they weren't. They were given a post op diet and weighed in once a year for three years. They lost 200 pounds, look great and have kept it off. So please, random gym rat or upset yo-yo dieter, before you begin to tell people that it is impossible, unhealthy, or leads to eating disorders, think about the basis of this diet. I will believe 1000's of bariatric doctors before I believe some poster that likes to think they know everything because they lost 30 pounds by going to the gym.

Those of you who made it this far into this thread and think 1200 calories is for you, try it. See what happens. If you begin to exhibit unhealthy symptoms, then stop. But don't believe everything you see on here. I have yet to have a problem other than needing to constantly update my wardrobe.

Let the fighting begin.....

Your logic is wrong, why would someone have to eat either celery or fries, why not both. You are also starting to display an unhealthy view of certain foods

At the end of the day its difficult to take dietary advice from someone who once advised "Stop weighing yourself and just measure BMI."
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The anti-1200 calorie diet group's definition of "work" is to get fit and healthier.

I love this quote. At one point, I weighed over 300 pounds, had sky high blood pressure, pre diabetic, knee injury was nagging due to weight. Yet, I went on the diet, blood pressure is stable, blood sugar controlled, knee feels great and I emotionally feel great... So your logic is flawed. I am healthier and fit, I just chose to do it my way and not yours. If I wanted abs of steel and an *kitten* that can snap wood, sure, I am doing the wrong thing. But if that is NOT what I want, I and others shouldn't be pigeoned holed.....

Fair enough. I guess I don't understand the willingness to knowingly lose muscle to save a couple months in terms of scale weight loss. That said if that was your plan then alright. Suppose I can't say I mind what you do.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight since November 2012 - and I still do not feel very comfortable promoting my own methods in this manner.

I think that at 5 months in and not yet at your goal it is maybe jumping the gun a bit to; so aggressively promote your 1200 calorie diet, get defensive when offered advice, and encourage others to follow your path.

Do you hit/track your micro and macro nutrients?
  • xlisted89
    xlisted89 Posts: 1
    Options
    Whatever works for u man
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OP I think you are correct. It worked for me too. Eat smart. Quality not quantity.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yeah.

I must admit. I've been on 1200 for the past few weeks - and I'm a 5"9 guy of 28 years.... I made the mistake of thinking "ooooh I can lose 2lbs a week" .... and thought it was fine.

Luckily for me, I started to read the message board, and now know better. So am upping my calories gradually.

Also have to admit I've done extreme low cal dieting before (when I didn't know any better) and ended up with a borederline eating disorder..... let me tell you... the result is NOT a good look! (although I was probably on way less than 1200 tbh)

You can't sustain it, eventually I cracked and went on a massive binge and put weight back on. Not all of it, I'm within healthy range, but I seem to have what they call "skinny-fat".

Now I'm determined to do it properly.

Although, I do kinda get it...... after doing 1200 the past few weeks, I have already adapted..... now that I've started to increase, I've gone up to 1580 cals. ....... its really difficult to eat the extra cals.... it seems like such a lot more food - and it is - unless you go for really unhealthy choices like processed / junk food!
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to contextualize your success with 1,200 calories.

First off, you weighed 280 Pounds. That means you had an enormous amount of fat stores to supplement that 1,200 calories.

Remember each pound of fat is 3500 calories. Fat on your body is just reserve stores of energy. So for the person who assumes a 1,200 calorie diet with extra calories stored up, she has an advantage for success.

A person who has less than 15% body fat has a less chance of being successful due to a lack of fat store supplementation. The lack of nutrition will affect mood, physical ability etc. typically resulting in a lapse of discipline to endure the 1,200 calorie regiment.

Just my opinion.
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The OP compares ultra low cal diet to that of a bariatric patient. Gastric bypass patients have on average a 1 in 50 chance of dying within 30 days in real world situations. The best of surgeons lower it to 1 in 500. No, people get these surgeries because they have to or they will die anyway. My cousin had the surgery and had to be rushed to the hospital about a month after. She almost died. Jump ahead 5 years and she went from Morbidly obese to too skinny and back to obese.

I stand behind my "opinions" (that just happen to be backed by professionals as well).

The original post is full of troll.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    How are you only losing 1lb a week eating 1200 cals at your weight? Are you really sedentary or do you just eat back all your exercise cals. Curious because it seems like you'd lose more than that.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How are you only losing 1lb a week eating 1200 cals at your weight? Are you really sedentary or do you just eat back all your exercise cals. Curious because it seems like you'd lose more than that.

Surely even if you ate back your exercise calories, or were really sedentary, you would still lose more than that, if you genuinely eating 1200 cals
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I know I will be trolled and flamed for posting this message but I am sick and tired of everyones high horse mentality when it comes to calorie counts. 1200 calories, if done correctly, is more than sufficient.

I began my journey January 1, 2014. I just completed 5 months and have lost over 55 pounds. I went from 280 to 225 and I feel great. Average calorie count is 1050 with an initial goal of 1200. After a few months, I moved my goal to 1400 and now I am at 1600. Yes, if you plan on just eating a cheeseburger at 1000 calories for the day, your screwed and will harm yourself. But let me give you an idea of my meals.

Breakfast is high protein egg sandwich OR oatmeal and high fiber toast. Either one is about 300 calories. Lunch is a special K protein bar at 170 calories. Dinner is either chicken breast with rice (370 calories), Large Baked potato with veggies (about 500 calories) or an extra large salad (350 calories). You see, at the end of the day, I have ample protein and fiber, good source of fuel (Carbs) and come in under 1000 calories. This leaves me some wiggle room if I want a small (and smart) dessert, some fruit with my lunch, or anything else. You see, I picked HEALTHY, LOW CALORIE foods to fill me up.

I will repeat. 1200 calorie diets, eating garbage, will allow you to lose weight but you will not feel good. But 1200 calorie diets that are low calorie, high nutrient food is a great way to lose the weight and keep it off.

Someone here will complain about my use of a protein bar. Many argue they are candy bars on steroids. They are meal replacements, quite tasty and have good nutrients (fiber and protein being the main ones). Regardless, you can not argue with the results. This diet has allowed me to lose over 55 pounds in 21 weeks. Right now, I average a weight loss of 1.2 pounds a week!

So before you all chastise someone for asking about a 1200 calorie diet, troll someone who supports the 1200 calorie diet, or even worse, name call (eating disorder, stupid, unhealthy) those who use the diet, take a look in the mirror. Why do you hate the low calorie diet so much? I think if you are honest with yourself, you will realize that is comes down to will power. Doing 1200 calories is the hardest diet out there. You go to bed hungry for the first few weeks before your body adjusts. Many don't make it past the first few days. So although I applaud those of you who are eating better and losing 0.2 or 0.4 pounds a week because you think everyone needs to eat 2000 calories and just exercises the deficit off, I wish you would applaud those of us who have the will power to change and who are losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a week because we refuse to listen to those who say it can't be done....

Let the trolling and flaming begin....

I have very similar diet choices and the 1200 calorie diet is working for me as well. I fill up on smart choices and I rarely feel hungry in between meals.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

In the long term you will notice the following as well...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair
    Hunger cues will diminish
    Your metabolism is going to slow eventually too

You will do damage to your heart and muscles
    You will not be able to exercise much

And then...you will break...you will eat a wad of food

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

But hey you lost weight...good on you.

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1qla3no1_500.gif

What she said!
  • DavidMStephens
    Options

First off, you weighed 280 Pounds. That means you had an enormous amount of fat stores to supplement that 1,200 calories.

Remember each pound of fat is 3500 calories. Fat on your body is just reserve stores of energy. So for the person who assumes a 1,200 calorie diet with extra calories stored up, she has an advantage for success.

A person who has less than 15% body fat has a less chance of being successful due to a lack of fat store supplementation. The lack of nutrition will affect mood, physical ability etc. typically resulting in a lapse of discipline to endure the 1,200 calorie regiment.

Just my opinion.

You, my friend, are 100% right!

I want to use your example of the 15% body fat. This diet I am on it for the morbidly obese like I was. I had over 60% body fat. I am now down to 30%! Many of the nay-sayers to my post, if their photos are accurate, have no need to be on a diet other than to eat back exercise calories. Meaning, they look to be at a healthy weight and stature. Someone who is at a healthy weight (I saw someone on here weighing 117 pounds wanting to get to 107!!!!), should avoid the 1200 calorie diet because they WILL have issues (hair, nails, eating disorder, etc.) However, those of us who were raised making bad eating choices (McDonald's we served almost nightly growing up, it was easy, fast and cheap), the diet works because, like you said, our calorie use stays the same but instead of fueling the metabolism with food, we fuel it with our fat cells. Someone with minimal fat (less than 25%) would probably do severe harm on this diet but if you are above 40% like I was, jump start the diet with this and gradually increase to a maintenance level. Also, QUALITY over quantity.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Just my opinion.

You, my friend, are 100% right!

I want to use your example of the 15% body fat. This diet I am on it for the morbidly obese like I was. I had over 60% body fat. I am now down to 30%! Many of the nay-sayers to my post, if their photos are accurate, have no need to be on a diet other than to eat back exercise calories. Meaning, they look to be at a healthy weight and stature. Someone who is at a healthy weight (I saw someone on here weighing 117 pounds wanting to get to 107!!!!), should avoid the 1200 calorie diet because they WILL have issues (hair, nails, eating disorder, etc.) However, those of us who were raised making bad eating choices (McDonald's we served almost nightly growing up, it was easy, fast and cheap), the diet works because, like you said, our calorie use stays the same but instead of fueling the metabolism with food, we fuel it with our fat cells. Someone with minimal fat (less than 25%) would probably do severe harm on this diet but if you are above 40% like I was, jump start the diet with this and gradually increase to a maintenance level. Also, QUALITY over quantity.

Deteriorating muscle mass says what's up.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i saw this thread last week.... are still people still posting in it? haha
  • DavidMStephens
    Options
    I have glanced at most of the responses and please do not take my lack of response to the negative people as me backing down. I simply can not argue with those who are closed minded. One thing about me personally is I am very analytical. I analyze and research EVERYTHING. I would not jump into a 1200 calorie diet (remember, started at 1200 and have increased a few hundred calories monthly), without making sure it was safe and sane.

Sadly, I have seen several response from those who started a low calorie diet, read all the fear mongering, and back away. They are now taking the slow route. I am probably foolish but the way mind works (like millions of others) is if I do not see results, I will not stick to it. So going so slow where I might lose or gain a half pound weekly and an inch of waist every 3 or 4 months would not allow me to stick the diet out. Trust me, I have tried. If it has worked for you, congrats. You have my respect.

But for me, I am sticking with healthy choices, fighting the urges to go backwards because I lose an inch or so on my guy at least monthly, if not faster. I drop pounds weekly and I feel better than ever!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I have glanced at most of the responses and please do not take my lack of response to the negative people as me backing down. I simply can not argue with those who are closed minded. One thing about me personally is I am very analytical. I analyze and research EVERYTHING. I would not jump into a 1200 calorie diet (remember, started at 1200 and have increased a few hundred calories monthly), without making sure it was safe and sane.

Sadly, I have seen several response from those who started a low calorie diet, read all the fear mongering, and back away. They are now taking the slow route. I am probably foolish but the way mind works (like millions of others) is if I do not see results, I will not stick to it. So going so slow where I might lose or gain a half pound weekly and an inch of waist every 3 or 4 months would not allow me to stick the diet out. Trust me, I have tried. If it has worked for you, congrats. You have my respect.

But for me, I am sticking with healthy choices, fighting the urges to go backwards because I lose an inch or so on my guy at least monthly, if not faster. I drop pounds weekly and I feel better than ever!

And ignoring the issue of preserving LBM is somehow progressive?
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Congrats to you if you are reaching your goals, regardless of how you are doing it (Gym, low calorie, combination, etc.). Just please stop the fear mongering. It ranks up their with the Republicans claiming there will be death panels with Obamacare!

Let the political tirades begin....

And now I KNOW you're a troll.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss.

I'm not going to troll or flame you at all.

My personal experience was just different. I ate 2000-2200 calories a day, and still lost an average of 1.4 lbs per week. (and I was a 39 year old woman at the time... I hit my goal in 2012 and have been maintaining for 2+ years now) I don't think 1,2000 calories would ever have been enough to fuel my personal energy/nutritional needs. It's not really a matter of willpower.

I did very low calorie diets in my twenties, and they actually did have permanent negative health consequences for me. And, I'm guessing an 900-1000 calorie diet for a 22 year old woman is pretty comparable to a 29 year old man eating 1200 - based on size/nutritional needs. But, if you feel good about your diet, carry on! :smile:
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

In the long term you will notice the following as well...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair
    Hunger cues will diminish
    Your metabolism is going to slow eventually too

You will do damage to your heart and muscles
    You will not be able to exercise much

And then...you will break...you will eat a wad of food

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

But hey you lost weight...good on you.

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

This^ I lost a good bit when I had excess to spare. As I have gotten down closer to my goal, my body is resistant to losing weight. I have increased my calorie goal and yet my body is still maintaining within 1-2 lbs of my current weight.
This discussion has been closed.