Treadmill

Options
So I'm just fairly curious on a few things.
The first being after you walk for an hour, is it normal for your legs to twitch? Mine have been twitching for probably five minutes already... And the next being out of curosity, do you find it hard to walk on a treadmill or anywhere really with shoes on? For some reason I am so uncomfortable with walking in shoes (though I suppose it could be because the only shoes I own are a pair of Vans). I just walked three miles barefoot on my personal treadmill. Which I don't reccomend by the way. I believe I have two large blisters on each foot. Also, any tips on just average walking on treadmills such as normal cool down time or anything like that?

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I hate shoes lol i wear these grippy type slippers on treadmill personally i think its the fact i hate socks more....I know its not good to wear them BUT its not goodbeing uncomfortable either..the legs twitching..make sure your warming up and drinking enough water while working out also have a pre workout snack I would say if it continues after 2 weeks see the doc for sure
  • Bec_Bone
    Options
    My legs totally switch sometimes after walking, almost like little zaps, I always thought it was just me! Unfortunately I have no idea what this actually is lol.

For the treadmill I was getting sore shins while/after a lot of walking or running in my crosstrainers so slurged on a pair of good quality running shoes and they are fantastic! Best thing I ever bought. I would recommend going into a sports store and asking one of the staff there (one who knows what they're talking about, avoid the people who seem to be talking out their butts!) about which ones suit. You could have feet that turn inwards or outwards or just need extra padding (which I did) and seriously they are worth getting.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Maybe a good pair of moccasins will fit the bill? My wife loves to wear Minnetonka Moccasins everywhere. She said it feels like going bare foot without the scrapes and cuts.
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    It could be that you are wearing the wrong kind of shoes. I hated running sneakers when I was 40 pounds heavier because I had wider feet so they were really uncomfortable. You CAN find wide shoes in stores, you just need to look harder :)
    As for the leg twitching, I'm not sure.
    Good luck!!
  • iKarlee
    Options
    I think the twitches are muscle spasms. And the shoe thing fits me, also! Ugh! I think it's because I have such arched feet, and I'm so uncomfortable all the time. Blah.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I echo the comments about getting a good pair of shoes. I can't tell you how many pairs I had that hurt some body part or another before I started buying shoes at a store that specialized in running. They watched me run, suggested some shoes, and I haven't looked back.

If you do like the barefoot feeling, you could always try the Vibram Barefoot running shoes. I think they look a bit silly, but the people who wear them seem almost religious in their zeal for them. They are the ones that have the little toes.

Best of luck!!!

--Carter
  • paulagabay
    Options
    I wear the New Balance with the birkenstock insole. The are the top of the line New Balance a little pricey but they have lasted me a year and I go to the gym 6-7 days a week so they have paid for themselves. I have not have foot trouble since wearing them ofcourse I am sure losing the extra weight helped too.
  • tlboyer1
    tlboyer1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I looked into this because it happened to me too. It is perfectly normal for this to happen. One of the causes is that lactic acid is released when you exercises causing your muscles to twitch. It is okay though nothing to worry about and it is a typical reaction for many people.
  • barton2
    barton2 Posts: 10
    Options
    the back of my calve muscules used to bruise b/c my shoes were old and not good workout shoes. Definitely invest in a good pair of shoes. I found mine at Target for $30 on sale and I haven't seen a bruise since. Plus they are extra comfy!
  • merryxmas15
    merryxmas15 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would agree about making sure you warm up and are hydrated to help with the twitches. I also hate shoes (but love socks) but I wear them on the treadmill. I tried it once without shoes and ended up with huge blisters which I hate more than I hate shoes:grumble: I bought a good pair of running shoes and they are very comfortable so thats what I wear. Do some research online about how to tell if your flat footed, or have a high arch ect. and what kind of shoes work best for the pronation you may or may not have. You can find info online to help you determine these things or set up an appointment at a running store. They'll put you on a treadmill and watch how you walk and help you find a good shoe for you. There are also people I know that prefer to not wear shoes when walking or running. They say that your body is adept at fixing any problems and shoes keep your body from correcting itself. There are sites about barefoot running that will give you a lot of info about this and there are shoe type things, or more like foot coverings I guess, for people that don't want to wear shoes. I have not tried them but probably will at some point in the future. I know one is called Vibrams Five Fingers. They are funny looking but I know people that swear by them. There are others too but these are the ones that I can remember the names of right now. Like I said I have not tried any of these but I want you to know that there are options. Good luck and no matter- what keep on keeping on!!!!