Researchers claiming it's impossible to keep weight off

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    20% is NOT abysmal and is not the 5% mentioned in the news article.

Thanks for the links though - bookmarking now!

Edit: and as many as you got
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Watching this with interest...

I lost 90lbs by doing it slowly, it was a lifestyle change that I was going to stick to blah blah blah. I kept it off for a year. Then I got a trapped nerve in my back which meant I had to give up running. Then I changed jobs and am more sedentary. Suddenly 25lbs has piled back on and I am knocking at the door of overweight again. So I'm back to lose it, hoping that I don't take my eye off the ball again. But for me, maintenance was just as hard as losing it in the first place, but without the highs of seeing the scale drop.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    20% is NOT abysmal and is not the 5% mentioned in the news article.

Thanks for the links though - bookmarking now!

Edit: and as many as you got

But that is only for one to two years. Less than 10% maintain it for 7 years...we are rapidly approaching that 5%. The rates are extremely low. Abysmal is an opinion. This specific study found these results based on the data analyzed. Other reviews or meta-analyses may have reached different conclusions based on their search criteria.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    Gotcha. And I truly appreciate you linking those.

My initial reason for posting was because someone (not you) said every single study shows abysmal failure rate, and I wasn't sure if that was true and felt it was a pretty strong statement to make and not back up.

BTW - Was one of the studies you mentioned, the paper that the original news article referenced?

Here is an interesting study...

Tracked people from the NWCR who had successfully kept weight off for a year (followed them for 10 years after that):

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(13)00528-X/abstract

Mean weight loss was 31.3 kg (95% CI=30.8, 31.9) at baseline, 23.8 kg (95% CI=23.2, 24.4) at 5 years and 23.1±0.4 kg (95% CI=22.3, 23.9) at 10 years. More than 87% of participants were estimated to be still maintaining at least a 10% weight loss at Years 5 and 10. Larger initial weight losses and longer duration of maintenance were associated with better long-term outcomes. Decreases in leisure-time physical activity, dietary restraint, and frequency of self-weighing and increases in percentage of energy intake from fat and disinhibition were associated with greater weight regain.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Can you link some of those studies?

I don't believe that every study shows abysmal failure rates, but unless you direct me towards them I won't know for sure. It's also impossible to judge the methodology used in said studies.

Doing my own search through studies - i haven't found a) the paper mentioned in this news article b) the abysmal failure rates.

You could save me a lot of time by linking the ones you mention with abysmal failure rates, thanks.

I don't care enough about whether you believe me, or any study, to go through the trouble of searching for articles and studies on the topic I've come across through the years.

You can believe whatever percentages you like, whatever helps your road. Has nothing to do with me sir.
  • tedrickp
    Options

I don't care enough about whether you believe me, or any study, to go through the trouble of searching for articles and studies on the topic I've come across through the years.

You can believe whatever percentages you like, whatever helps your road. Has nothing to do with me sir.

Oh ok, thanks, now I know in the future not to try and have a discussion with you. Will save us both a lot of time.

Edit: and I am not being snarky, say that with all due respect and honesty.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

Oh ok, thanks, now I know in the future not to try and have a discussion with you. Will save us both a lot of time.

I don't post on MFP to have a discussion specifically with you. I don't even know who the hell you are LOL. So yes, that works just fine.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    I just enjoy the discussion in general and am open to learning from everyone - so when someone says something as absolute as you did - I ask for them to back it up since a lot of people read the forums and it's a chance for us all to learn.

I didn't mean a one on one :laugh:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Can you link some of those studies?

I don't believe that every study shows abysmal failure rates, but unless you direct me towards them I won't know for sure. It's also impossible to judge the methodology used in said studies.

Doing my own search through studies - i haven't found a) the paper mentioned in this news article b) the abysmal failure rates.

You could save me a lot of time by linking the ones you mention with abysmal failure rates, thanks.

Here's one stating only 20% can maintain a 10% weight loss for 2 years:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu:8080/pubmed/22023231

Less than 10% can maintain weight loss for 7 years:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu:8080/pmc/articles/PMC3139793/

Another one stating that 20% of individuals can maintain a 10% weight loss for just 1 year, and that on average 30-35% of weight is regained within the first year with an average of 1.8kg gained per year after that:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu:8080/pmc/articles/PMC2676575/

I donno, how many do you want?

Particularly alarming in said studies is the definition of "success". Unfortunately a good percentage of the people who make up the "success stories" fit the following criteria:

A. People who never had much to lose in the first place.
    B. People who didn't lose much, gained back some, and managed to maintain very small losses.

The numbers for people who have had substantial weight to lose, say in the 50 and up category, are worse. It's an anomaly for people like me, who've lost over a 100 lbs, to shed that much, but even more so for us to maintain it for the long term.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't even help much here. Unfortunately, in my experience, the data matches up very well with the people I've experienced in my day to day life. Most of the fat people I know have been fat for a long time. The few that have managed to lose a considerable amount eventually regained. I think I know maybe one or two people who shed weight and kept it off. My great Aunt, who passed a couple years ago, did so before I was born and stayed very skinny for the latter 30 or so years of her life, eventually passing into her 90s.

These odds don't scare me. I've been in the majority and regained a lot of weight. They simply remind me that this is a life long journey, and that I will always need to be mindful of my food and activity level if I want to avoid the nightmare that is obesity/fatness.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know that after five years keeping it off now, I am an official outlier .... whoo hoo!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Congrats, outlier!!

I agree about the fuzzy definitions of success or failure. I mean if you lost 100 lbs and slowly gained back 20, is that really failure??
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Congrats, outlier!!

I agree about the fuzzy definitions of success or failure. I mean if you lost 100 lbs and slowly gained back 20, is that really failure??
    This is a good point. When all is said and done and I near my genetic muscular potential I will be about 20 lbs heavier then at my lightest. But it was intentional weight gain in the form of muscle mass. Does that mean I failed at "keeping the weight off"?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If the problem is that most regain after dieting, then the solution is for everybody to never get off the diet.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think it's a darn good article. I didn't see where it said it had nothing to do with people sticking to a plan. My take was that is EXACTLY what it was saying. And statistics are statistics. We can all think we are going to be that success story. We are going to be the one to keep it off forever. But, the reality is that only 5% of us will.

I've seen so many posts bragging about keeping the weight off for a whole year or even two. I've done that too. Several times.

Indeed. I guess it's not very motivational to say this, but most people who think they're going to keep the weight off for 10 years through self-discipline and force of will are deluding themselves. I made it seven years once :)

I remind my self that I cannot have this 'perfect' body', when I eventually get pregnant, I will put on weight which I will have to lose again and your whole chest area basically goes to pot :s There is no knowing what the future holds, so saying 'I will never put on weight again' is naive.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    ^^^ Congrats, outlier!!

Most of these studies define 'success'. For instance, success could be defined as maintaining a loss of 10% of your original body weight for 2 years. If you weighed 300 lbs and lost 30 and kept it off for two years, you would be considered successful. If you lost 100 lbs--33% of your bodyweight--then gained 20, bringing you down to an 80 lb loss, you still would have lost 27% of your bodyweight and would be considered successful.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Most of these studies define 'success'. For instance, success could be defined as maintaining a loss of 10% of your original body weight for 2 years. If you weighed 300 lbs and lost 30 and kept it off for two years, you would be considered successful.

Yes and that blows me over.

My highest weight was 320. Maintaining just a 10% loss would leave me as a "success" story at 288. Now I've lost over a 100lbs, am knocking at the door of onederland, and my ultimate goal is likely somewhere between 160-170.

When I reach that, if I was to gain back up to 288, but never go over that, I would be considered a "success" story in a study.

But I'd be anything but.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This gives me more motivation to weigh daily and never stop logging! Thanks!

Ditto :grumble:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Most of these studies define 'success'. For instance, success could be defined as maintaining a loss of 10% of your original body weight for 2 years. If you weighed 300 lbs and lost 30 and kept it off for two years, you would be considered successful.

My highest weight was 320. Maintaining just a 10% loss would leave me as a "success" story at 288. Now I've lost over a 100lbs, am knocking at the door of onederland, and my ultimate goal is likely somewhere between 160-170.

When I reach that, if I was to gain back up to 288, but never go over that, I would be considered a "success" story in a study.

But I'd be anything but.

10% is commonly used because that level of weight reduction is the point at which health improvements are seen...aka lowered blood pressure, improved lipids and insulin sensitivity, etc. It doesn't sound like a lot, but losing 32 lbs of adipose tissue would have a big metabolic effect.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

But I'd be anything but.

10% is commonly used because that level of weight reduction is the point at which health improvements are seen...aka lowered blood pressure, improved lipids and insulin sensitivity, etc. It doesn't sound like a lot, but losing 32 lbs of adipose tissue would have a big metabolic effect.

Definitely. I always tell people that they'd be surprised how much even a relatively small loss can do to improve your health.

Just imagining losing up to half my body weight, regaining close to 130 lbs, and still remaining a part of the rare "success stories, thus skewing that already small percentage incredibly.

It makes me wonder how many people who lost substantial weight truly managed to keep off at least 80% of their fat loss.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've read and reread this article and where does it say that they revert back to old habits? It doesn't say that anywhere that 95% of people revert to old eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle.