Calculation Help!

Options
Hi all!

I've been using my fitness pal for a while now but only just jumped on message boards hoping for a bit of help. I've changed my eating habits dramatically over the past few months but still have room to go (I was drinking energy drinks three times daily, eating pizza for dinner, no exercise etc) also on my 4th day of NOT smoking after 11 years!

I'm 5"4 (163cm) weigh 70kg (154lb) and I am now walking 2.2km every morning before work (using mapmywalk - pace of about 9-9.5), have just started going for 5km walks a few nights a week with a friend also. My fitness pal has my daily calorie goal at 1,200 and I do find it a bit hard, sometimes I do good but then some days can be up to 1,500. I just used a BMR calculator that says I have a BMR of 1494.

I've been at this properly (minus smoking only stopped 4 days ago - and I am DONE!) for over a month now but have not lost a single kg, some weeks maybe a few hundred grams but I fluctuate back up to 70kg.

I don't understand the BMR part vs my calorie intake needs. I've read quite a few messages also and have gotten quite confused, some people are saying to eat more? Read some where about 3,500 cals are in a pound of fat or something also? Also don't understand what it means to 'eat back calories burned', does this mean if I burn 200 cals in exercise I should eat 1400 a day not 1200 and never have a deficit?

My biggest demon is carbs, I love bread and rice etc but have been told and read that this stops weight loss? Is this why I'm not losing weight even though I'm exercising 6 times a week and watching my calorie intake?

Sorry for all the noob questions but any help would be MUCH appreciated as I just can't seem to figure this out!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the boards!

Firstly well done on stopping smoking, that's the single biggest improvement you can make to your health.

Don't worry too much about the bread and carbs issue for now - that's a fine tuning detail you can keep for later.

1200 is a very low level - did you tell MFP you were sedentary and wanted to lose 2 pounds a week? Change those to lightly active and 1 or even half a pound, and you'll get a more realistically achievable number.

Now, all numbers are estimates, so an online calculator is only giving you a ball park starting point for your BMR. This is the minimum your body needs to take in to function properly, which MFP defaults at 1200.

Are you sure that's BMR and not TDEE? Total Daily Energy Expenditure is the actual calories you use up each day. Now obviously that changes every day, as well as when you exercise, but in theory eating somewhere between those 2 will result in safe weight loss.
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    In my goal settings I am 'lightly active' with a goal of 1 pound a week, this still gives me a daily goal of 1,200cals.

And I'm unsure of TDEE? Or what the difference is between TDEE and BMR. I used http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ to calculate BMR but to be completely honest I'm not even sure what I'm meant to do with that number (hence the plea for help!)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    BMR is your basal metabolic rate or the amount of calories your body burns just being alive. If your BMR is 1494 that means if you were in a coma the hospital would need to drip-feed you 1494 calories for you to maintain your weight.

As soon as you do anything non-comatose such as get out of bed, stand up, walk around, sit in a chair and type etc etc you can probably add another 2 to 300 calories to that. This number is known as your NEAT or non-exercise activity thermogenesis. This is your BMR plus the calories you burn from your normal daily activity. So for you this is probably something like 1800 calories.

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is the number of calories you burn total in a day. If you don't exercise at all then TDEE = NEAT. If you do exercise though TDEE = NEAT + the calories you burn from exercising.

So lets say you go for a 5km walk and burn 150 calories and that is the only exercise you do but you do it every day. That would mean that your TDEE is 1800+1500 or 1950;

What your TDEE tells you is the number of calories you'd need to eat to simply maintain your weight. If you eat less than your TDEE then you lose weight, The difference between your TDEE and the amount you actually take in is your caloric deficit.

The bigger your caloric deficit the faster you lose weight. One pound of fat is about 3,500 calories. What that means is if your TDEE is 1950 and you eat 1450 your caloric deficit is 500 calories per day which means 3500 calories per week which would mean you would lose about 1 pound of fat per week. The trick here is if you make your defict too large you won't just lose fat but you will also lose muscle which will mean long term you will lose fitness and find it more and more difficult to lose the fat. What you want to do is stick with a consistant small deficit over time.

Keep in mind fat is not the only thing that has weight in your body. A lot of your body is water and water retention or water loss can cause your weight to fluctuate by 10 pounds easily. As a result of this sometimes you have to stick with a diet for several months before you can notice a definate loss in scale weight. This is because after say 5 weeks and losing 5 pounds of fat you could easily be retaining 5 pounds of water and seem to have lost nothing by the scale.

Hope that helps.
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    That does help thanks. So I do keep my deficits and not 'eat' them then? Or only if it's say 100-200 cals and no higher
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I really like this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Its so easy to use and told me exactly what I needed to use in an easy to understand way...
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I use my base daily calories being an average between BMR and TDEE.
    Currently only exercise a couple times a week. 100-200 cals.
    I do not eat them back since the amount is so small.
    I eat approx 1300 cals a day and lose approx half pound a week.
    Weight loss, especially for me, is very slow, but that's ok.
    What is best for me is I now eat 3 times a day and feel so much better because of that.
    I love to cook and used to make elaborate, extra large dinners, anything that sounded good.
    No more of that. Would keep me full until the next huge dinner...terrible habit.
    Anyway, good luck on your journey...takes a couple weeks to get all this stuff figured out.
    I get super serious sometimes with it and other times not so much. But always come back to it.
    Happy right now with 5 1/2 lbs gone in the last 8 weeks.
    Hoping to reach my goal by mid August.
  • Mamabearsandbl
    Mamabearsandbl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Carbs can make a big difference in your weight loss, if you are a carb junkie that could be part of the problem. I am currently doing extreme low carb, plus nutrition supplements, and the weight is melting off and I love it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Something's off. I plugged in lightly active and 1 lb per week and I got 1470 calories per day. Although I am 1" taller than you we weigh about the same and I'm older. Can you check your account and numbers again?

Edit: of course if you say lightly active, you really do want to be lightly active. The examples the app gives are teacher or salesman where you spend a lot of your day standing. I might add chasing kids..haha. I've selected sedentary because I work a desk job and do not get much daily activity outside of exercise
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    I just re-entered stats in my goal setting but the daily intake number is not changing, there doesnt seem to be an 'update' button or anything
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I just re-entered stats in my goal setting but the daily intake number is not changing, there doesnt seem to be an 'update' button or anything

Are you using the website or the app? On the website you should have an "update profile" button if you use the guided setup or "change goals" if you use custom. On the app it should update everytime you tap a different activity level
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    Ill try the website and see if that works thanks!
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    Tried it and still at 1,200 cals. I think maybe because i am choosing to lose 1kg a week not 1 pound?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Then you probably should reduce that as 1kg is 2.2 lbs and generally 2 lbs is the highest recommended weight loss per week. At your weight you probably should be at 1 lb. Either way you can manually set your weekly calorie goals to any setting you want to try. I was just curious why it was giving you such a low number!
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    I've changed it now to 0.5KG a week loss which now gives me 1,430 a day! I'm hoping having the increase calories wont increase my weight rather than maintain but I've seen many posts on here saying 1,200 is too little and your body can go into 'starvation mode' so fingers crossed I actually start losing weight!!! Thanks everyone for the help, very new to this! :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Tried it and still at 1,200 cals. I think maybe because i am choosing to lose 1kg a week not 1 pound?

Yeah that makes a HUGE difference. 1 kilogram is 2.2 pounds and a 2.2 pound a week loss is a very big ask. You should set your loss to about 1 pound per week which would be something like 0.4 kilograms and you should eat back calories you burn from exercise. The change in your goal to 1 pound per week should bump your calories up to 1500 and if you exercise frequently you might end up eating 1700-1800 calories a day which will make a big difference in how you feel.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    First off I'd say you need to relax!
    You just quit smoking and you're eating healthier and starting to walk etc and I'm betting your body is going crazy trying to figure out what the hell is going on! Take it slow and let yourself acclimate to your new normal, I'll let the more knowledgeable here recommend calories and TDEE etc. Give yourself a chance and take it one day at a time!
    Congrats on quitting smoking that's OUTSTANDING!!!
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    Yes I've re-done and now have a goal just under 1500 a day which is much easier to stick too! Can I ask what the reasoning is on eating back the calories, how that benefits more so to having a 100 - 200 or so deficit after exercise?
  • littlemissdrea85
    Options
    Thank you ^.^

To be honest giving up smoking was easy as I'd finally just 'clicked' and made the choice, now trying to cut down on bad carbs is my demon!! (I LOVE bread and potatoes - my fav snack meal is actually a mashed potato sandwich lol)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Yes I've re-done and now have a goal just under 1500 a day which is much easier to stick too! Can I ask what the reasoning is on eating back the calories, how that benefits more so to having a 100 - 200 or so deficit after exercise?

The way I view it there are two goals: weight loss, and fitness.

For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit. You decide what a healthy sustainable weight loss would be (like 0.4 kg per week) then you figure out how many calories you would have to eat in order to achieve that and you stick with it.

For fitness you need to exercise and your exercise needs to be fueled with appropriate amounts of food. If you work out and burn 400 calories your body needs that 400 calories for recovery.

You can do both at the same time provided that when you exercise and burn calories you eat those calories back. That way your exercise is fueled and your overall deficit remains the same. So you can make fitness progress AND lose weight.

If you view exercise as just a way of losing weight faster by creating a larger and larger deficit then you may as well go back to eating 1000 calories because it will have the same effect on how you feel.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Carbs can make a big difference in your weight loss, if you are a carb junkie that could be part of the problem. I am currently doing extreme low carb, plus nutrition supplements, and the weight is melting off and I love it.

Nope, sorry, incorrect. For weightloss purposes, a calorie is a calorie. It does not matter if the calorie is from protein, fat, or carbs. This has been proven numerous times, most recently through the widely publicized "Twinkie diet." A professor lost 27 pounds eating only Twinkies, other snack cakes, Oreos, Doritos and sugary cereal. He just did so at a caloric deficit.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Cutting carbs is not the answer unless you plan to limit your carbs for the rest of your life.