Water intake not necessary for weight loss?

Options
I had a colleague question me yesterday about the amount of water I drink at work (usually 1.5 liters/6 glasses in a 4 hour span) and when I mentioned I tend to get a dry mouth frequently and "hey, helps with the weight loss, right?" she responded that it "does nothing but give you more frequent trips to the bathroom", and proceeded to tell me about how she's lost 20lbs drinking nothing but 2-3 cups of tea a day as liquids, and the whole water and weight loss thing is nonsense.

Now, I do understand that water is needed for hydration, which in the Summer months I tend to suffer easily, but what exactly are its benefits to aid weight loss? I've always took the "water helps loss" as a given but never really knew why. I'll continue to drink my on average 8-10 glasses of water a day (not including those in food or hot beverages) but have become curious as to what other benefits water has.

Replies

• mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think...

....thirst sends out the same signal to your brain as hunger..... So a lot of people tend to eat more if they do not drink enough.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Only 1 thing is needed for weight loss and that's a calorie deficit.

Water can "help" (some find it keeps them feeling full, gives them something to do other than snack etc) but it doesn't "cause" weight loss.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know but drinking a lot of water helps me curb hunger...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. And yes, tea is fine. That said, I drink quite a bit of water, but it's also 92 outside today and I run.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. And yes, tea is fine. That said, I drink quite a bit of water, but it's also 92 outside today and I run.

"and I run"? So you're a runner now?

OP, water is necessary to sustain human life. It's a good thing that it is in most of the foods we consume, so whether you get it from clear water or some other beverage or food, it doesn't matter. Just stay hydrated.

But yeah, clear water is good to drink.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

"and I run"? So you're a runner now?

OP, water is necessary to sustain human life. It's a good thing that it is in most of the foods we consume, so whether you get it from clear water or some other beverage or food, it doesn't matter. Just stay hydrated.

But yeah, clear water is good to drink.

You really don't want that blue plate special and 3:30 cocktails do you?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Water by itself does not cause you to lose weight but drinking water is important for your body to function properly in many areas. It also (as a poster above me said) can help you feel full without eating food and can help as an alternative to those who are nervous eaters. Having a glass of water nearby and constantly taking a sip is much better than constantly dipping your hand into the chips or M&M's as a nervous or mindless habit.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Drinking water doesn't create a calorie deficit, so no, it's not necessary for weight loss. I think it can help flush sodium out of your system, so you might notice a decrease in water weight (ironically). And like other posters have said, things like tea count. I mean, it's basically water that you've let a tea bag swim around in. There is a misconception that caffeine dehydrates you, but like I said... misconception. The only drink that actually dehydrates you is alcohol. So stay hydrated - as long as you're not thirsty, you're drinking enough. But drinking water doesn't aid fat loss.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Water also aids in digestion if I am correct.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to consume enough fluid to stay hydrated. This could come from soups, fruits, veggies, tea, coffee, etc., as well as pure H2O.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet