Is maintaining harder than weight loss?

Options

Replies

• starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier because you will catch yourself slipping before it gets out of control and know exactly what to do to get back on track.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It took a bit longer for my mind to catch up and my biggest hurdle was actually increasing my cal intake and not panic when my weight fluctuated.

Now it's not as stressful
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    For me, yes. I know how to lose weight. I know how to gain weight. I have never maintained my weight loss. That being said, I reached goal yesterday. Yikes!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    <--3.7 years today graph. 10 pounds bump up that inches up and down. But would love to keep going up!
    After a year of weight loss I got to my 50lbs off goal. A little low for my body, but just needed to touch the goal. Bumped up 3 lbs and was really good there. Got slack every vacation and inch up to 10lbs from my good weight. This 10 lbs wiggle room if kept unchecked would bounce all the way back to inactivity and eating poorly. If I didn't keep at it and keep trying.
    So, at first, yeah it's easy! You finally get to eat more! You don't gain with that, either. Until you start making poor choices a little too often. Get lazy and complacent.
    But, the good news is the physical fitness is much quicker to get back than it was, if you don't let yourself go very long. A couple of weeks of effort consistency and you are back in the saddle. And you have good habits already, you just have to rein it in.
    Keep the good habits as life changing habits, not just weight loss time behavior. This stuff is forever. It's worth it. It feels good to feel good. Keep the old pictures and remember that you don't want to start from the beginning, and you can keep it.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you view maintenance only as a time when you'll finally be able to 'afford' eating a few oreos a night and hitting the Chinese buffet again once a month, you need to make sure you don't send all of your fat clothes to the Goodwill because you'll be needing them again before long.
    I did get rid of all my fat clothes. It's good. My entire wardrobe is my small size clothes and they are tight. Which means to buck it up buttercup. I will NOT buy more fat clothes! The small size IS my size, now. If it doesn't fit, I will have to put in the effort until it does fit again. The clothes became my barometer.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Harder? No...but it takes more precision if you're not comfortable with a certain maintenance range.

I think the best approach is just to make periodic evaluations of how well you're maintaining and make adjustments accordingly. As long as you aren't convinced that you're going to maintain a specific number on the scale, it really isn't *that* difficult.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    For me, yes.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for over three years now. Neither one is difficult for me, personally. My personality type has a ton of self control. I just plug in the numbers and it works. I was never technically overweight, but I had been noticing a gradual creeping up of my weight as I aged, so I decided to reverse the process here on MFP proactively, BEFORE I got to the point of being overweight. I think it's easier to be on maintenance only because I can eat more - I enjoy food. Otherwise, it's the same to me. :flowerforyou:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't think maintaining is harder, but it was a little scarier for me at first. I KNOW how to lose weight - I've been doing it forever. And I know how to gain weight - I've done that a number of times, too. I don't think I've really ever stayed the same, until now. I've stayed in my maintenance range for 4-5 months. At first, it felt like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. I was afraid to increase my calories because I didn't want to regain. But I finally stopped stressing and trusted the numbers and my body.

The challenge for me is eating the foods that I avoided while I was losing. I tell myself that a little bit won't hurt. And it doesn't really. But I don't like the way I feel when I eat certain things - like candy, cookies, and other junk food. I feel so much BETTER when I eat the new way I've learned to eat. So that's the way I eat as much as possible.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    maintaining is only normally had for people who go on fad diets or lose control/go back into bad habits, thats why diets are bad idea but healthy eating/lifestyle works
  • cantybaby
    cantybaby Posts: 4
    Options
    maintaining is a life long struggle
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I hope more people who have lost more than 10 pounds reply to this thread. Interesting that most replies are from members whose tickers show very low pounds-lost numbers... of course that could be just the amount the lost "this time" or with MFP.

I wonder if taking a year or two to lose weight because you have so much to lose, puts you in a different place than if you lose 10 pounds (or less) in a few months?

Another thought I had is that people who take control when they are overweight by just a few pounds compared to those who (like me) allow themselves to get morbidly obese before losing weight, are more nervous or shocked when they gain just a few pounds back, whereas someone who has lost 100 pounds might think "well I'm still 90 pounds lighter" if they gain back 10.

I lost more than 10 pounds...it took me about a year and I've been in maintenance for 15 months now...

BUT..

About 7 years ago, I lost 75 pounds...it took me about a year as well using diet, exercise, but not MFP. Within 2 years of reaching my 'goal,' I gained back all the weight, +10 more pounds.

During the process, I too felt that with all the hard work I put in to remove the weight, there was NO WAY I would ever gain it back...WRONG!

two lessons learned this time over last:

1) there's no END when it comes to diet & fitness...it's a lifelong quest that will need constant vigilance & tweaking as you age & situations change...ALWAYS...till you die.

2). If you don't address the REASONS why you use food as your drug of choice to alter your moods and keep swallowing your pain, your weight will be a lifelong struggle.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Nope.

NEXT!
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Not really..it is an adjustment of the calories....and exercise.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I think of maintaining weight I think about my father, he was 50/60 and had abs, perfectly slim, always toned, super strong, powerful arms (still gentle arms), no double chin, could lift heavy things, never complained of lumbar pain, only some pain in the back of the neck, loved swimming pools, but he grew up in a mountain town, playing soccer with old super heave soccer shoes made of rough letter, he never had over eating issues: desserts, sweets, fried, just the necessary portion never between meals, never had a second dish or a dessert, never saw something and got it just for cravings, and he lived in a time where there were no: three milks, cheesecake, coke, fast food, fried chicken, but plantains, pork, corn (we had a very small corn field), chickens (we had chickens), greens, no ice cream and no flavored soups, so my thinking now is: maintaining weight is not buying into the system with food that one doesn't need, with the 0 calories products, with the: come and drink all you want or so, it's a lifestyle rather than a timed project.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I like getting to eat more so no it is not harder.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't find it harder. It's moved to the 'a habit like toothbrushing. I'm eating the same food I was before I lost weight and during weight loss, but just less of it.

Only 3 diet changes are less milk and cheese and less bread. I am cooking more creatively because I LOVE to eat.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Weight loss was actually the fun part, its only a temporary change, you eat defliect and you are rewarded with new lower numbers on the scale.

Maintancing is still at a deflect, its a life time commitment, your only reward is to see your weight not returning, so long term effect maintance can feel so a slow starvation, so yeah it is harder.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    Yes! A million times yes!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I rather plan to use MFP for the rest of my life, including for maintenance, and if later on I want to lose a few more. I don't feel like weight-loss is a summer classes type deal. Once you decide to do it, it's a sort of rest-of-your-life decision, and that's why programs and apps like MFP are nice to have because they remind you of how far you've come. I've signed off almost all of my favorite foods in large amounts and outside of special/desperate occasions (these include: Cherry Coke, Flaming Hot Cheetos, Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies, Cheese sticks/cubes, Burger King's grilled chicken ranch wraps) for life, and I think it's just a sacrifice you need to be willing to make if you want to lose weight and be healthy to a degree that makes you happy.

I can't see where maintenance should be more difficult. I'm by far no expert. But maybe if you thought that once you lost weight you could go back to eating anything you wanted and as much as you wanted, it will disappoint you to find out that you can't. But otherwise I find it extremely hard to believe it will be harder for me to stay under 1600 calories without exercise than to stay under 1200 calories without exercise.

The problem with your plan is MFP may or may not be around even six months from now. The way websites go, nothing is written in stone. Maintenance can be difficult because many tend to gain 4 or 5 lb when they go into maintenance likely because they don't reverse diet. That gain can trigger yo-yo dieting or at least trying to lose that gain again so the cycle repeats. If you reverse diet and continue to apply the good eating habits learned while losing the weight as well as continually improving your diet, then maintenance shouldn't be difficult at all.