Best way to hard boil eggs?

Options
I always seem to fail at these. I'll put them in cool water, let it the pan come to a covered boil, and then let them sit for 10-15 minutes off the heat, still covered. I let them sit for 10 minutes the other day, and all of my yolks were still partially uncooked.

Anyone have a secret trick for making good eggs? Thanks!

Replies

• allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I put mine in pan with cool water. Bring to boil then simmer (lightly bubbling) for 6-7 minutes. Perfect hard boiled eggs every time.

Edit to add - in uncovered pan
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Troubleshoot: Make sure there's at least 1 inch of water over the eggs (single layer of eggs in a "dutch oven" sized pot). For perfection (I'm sure everyone's stoves vary in how long it takes to reach boil), but once they reach boiling, try continuing a gentle boil for 5 minutes, then shut off heat, and under NO circumstances do you remove the lid for 10 minutes for medium sized, 12 minutes for large size, or 15 minutes for extra large/jumbo size eggs.

Tip: I use a pot with a glass lid, so I don't have to peek inside and let heat escape. If you don't have that option and "must" peek, increase rest time by 2 minutes. YMMV--this works for my "hot" stove. Standard electric ranges or smaller gas stoves may also take a little longer.

(Yes--I am passionate about perfect eggs--Hard boiled eggs have been my life-blood for my entire life :heart: )

Oh, very important, I forgot--run cold water over them once done (or an ice bath) to stop the cooking. Else they will get rubbery and the "green" yolk yuckiness.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs in a pot with just enough water to have an extra inch of water covering them.

Bring them to a boil. Then remove the eggs from heat and cover them, and let them sit for 12 minutes. (I use a timer)

Then drain the hot water and place the eggs in cold water.

They always turn out perfectly.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would go for cooking them longer. 6-7 minutes should make them hard from the pan.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I steam mine!!

Put (cold) eggs in steamer basket. Put steamer basket over 2-3 inches of water in pan. Cover steamer basket & bring water to a boil. I do 10 minutes for hard boiled eggs but have accidentally let it go 15 minutes and they were still perfect - not over cooked. Drain carefully, then cool in an ice bath until you can handle them.

BONUS: they peel SO easily. A quick tap on each end, then - whoosh - the peel slides right off - EVEN if you forgot about them and didn't peel them for several hours!!

ETA: Keep the water boiling the entire time.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Hm? The way you make it seems like more soft-boiled eggs. To make hard boiled eggs, I like to boil on medium-high with pot uncovered for 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat, immerse in ice cold water, and then crack and peel.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Fill a pan with water,chuck the f***ers in and boil em for 20 mins
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I steam mine!!

Put (cold) eggs in steamer basket. Put steamer basket over 2-3 inches of water in pan. Cover steamer basket & bring water to a boil. I do 10 minutes for hard boiled eggs but have accidentally let it go 15 minutes and they were still perfect - not over cooked. Drain carefully, then cool in an ice bath until you can handle them.

BONUS: they peel SO easily. A quick tap on each end, then - whoosh - the peel slides right off - EVEN if you forgot about them and didn't peel them for several hours!!

ETA: Keep the water boiling the entire time.

Interesting, I'm going to have to give that a try.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

For shame!! I will NOT be coming over for eggs anytime soon. So barbaric and cavalier in your treatment of such a divine treat sent from the gods :tongue:
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I start with an uncovered pot filled with hot water. Then I place the eggs in the hot water and turn the heat up to medium high. I set the timer for 8 minutes and let them cook. Then when the timer goes off I turn off the heat and move the pot to the sink. I fill the pot up to the top with cold water and let them sit until they are cool enough to take out.
  • lilac_fields
    lilac_fields Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    best way i found is to bake in muffin pan at 325 for 30 mins. turn out perfect every time. super easy to peel. pop them in and 30 mins later done!
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options

For shame!! I will NOT be coming over for eggs anytime soon. So barbaric and cavalier in your treatment of such a divine treat sent from the gods :tongue:

But I eat them tenderly
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Eggs that are a bit on the old side (30 days old) are going to be easier to peel than very fresh eggs. If they are store-bought, no worry as most eggs in stores are at least 30 days old. Anyway--you get your water boiling in a pot that you can lower your eggs into (doesn't matter if they are from the fridge or have been out on the counter for a while). If you start with them in cold water, the shells are more apt to stick. Cook them exactly 11 minutes and immediately plunge them into ice water. Let them cool till you can handle them and the peel should come right off. Never fails for me.

ETA: I saw a novel way of peeling them on the web. When you go to cool them, add a teaspoon of baking soda to your cooling water. After they are cooled, tap and peel the top and bottom of the egg, and then put your mouth on the narrow end of the egg and blow the egg out into a bowl (or your hand if you think you can catch it). I would imagine this method would be a hit with kids. Looked like fun.
  • quietcountrylife
    quietcountrylife Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with steaming them! We have our own hens, and I can steam them fresh and they are easy to peel and don't have a dark coating on the yolk from sulfur. It works great!

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/01/hard-steamed-eggs.html
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    best way i found is to bake in muffin pan at 325 for 30 mins. turn out perfect every time. super easy to peel. pop them in and 30 mins later done!

Alton Brown has an entire video dedicated to cooking eggs in the oven. He uses a damp dish towel instead of a muffin tin.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've tried baking them, and can never get them right.

Usually I put them in cool water, bring them to a boil, boil for about 5 minutes, turn off the heat, cover them, and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Drain the water, and submerge the eggs in ice water.

Perfectly cooked, easy to peel.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My daughter told me to steam them (15. Min) & they are good & so easy to peel!! I hate when they aren't easy to peel.
  • kindredlaugh
    Options
    I've been cooking them the same way for 45 years and they always come out perfect for me.

Cover 6 eggs in cold water.
    Bring water to a hard boil, this takes about 10 minutes
    Cover and remove from heat for 25 minutes
    Drain and cover with cold water for at least 10 minutes ( I have forgot them for hours, no difference)

Yay eggs!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Put them in the microwave.

(Kidding)