How much exercise is too much exercise?

Hola~ I'm working on losing about 40-50 lbs (woot) and I started exercising this week for the first time in months and once i get started I can't stop, it is addicting to me. But I don't want to get too much...does that make sense?I just don't want to hurt myself. And this kinda sounds like a stupid question, but is this too much?

M-Les mills body pump+ Attack
T-30 minutes elliptical
W-30 minutes elliptical
TH-30 minutes elliptical
F-Les mills body pump
Sa- les mills body attack
Su-Yoga+Pump

All answers are welcome :)
BTW-current weight is 175

Replies

• meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    I think what you listed seems fine, the most important thing is to listen to your body. As long as you are not too sore then go for it, but you don't want to push yourself too far and risk injury especially if you haven't been working out in a while. Make sure you are doing warm ups and cools downs too.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Where's the lifting?
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Where's the lifting?
    body pump is lifting.

For the OP, listen to your body. If you need to take a break, take a break. That being said, this isn't anything crazy, maybe just if you are going from nothing to this, but elliptical isn't high impact. When training for an Ironman I was doing 17 hours a week of cardio.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    That doesn't sound to bad. I do aout seven hours of exercise a week. Three days of cardio, two days of body pump, one day of Shred, and one hour of yoga.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    I would do an hour of elliptical one day and have a full rest day - I really think one or 2 workout breaks per week are helpful in recovery
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    30 mins of elliptical a day isn't even close to being too much exercise.

You might want to get a handle on your obsessive feeling that you HAVE to do something everyday tho. That's not really how this works
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    depends on the individual.
    When your form starts to get worse. When you feel fatigue 24/7. When you constantly hurt and the pain does not seem to go away. When you find yourself injuring yourself so you can just do one more.

Then you might be over exercising.

If you feel good and you're getting the benefit you are doing just fine.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    No, that's not even close to being too much. And good for you doing Pump 3 times a week! Fellow Pumper here!
  • mkretz23
    mkretz23 Posts: 1 Member
    not too much but i would add in a few days of heavy resistance training.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    I don't really count my cardio as anything needing a rest day unless it is something new and the muscles hurt after doing it. The human body is pretty much designed to be in motion, the days we do nothing are probably harder on it than the days we move around in my mind.

Weight lifting on the other hand (or any muscle building exercise really) definitely needs some rest after its done.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    not too much but i would add in a few days of heavy resistance training.

For those who don't know, Bodypump is a weight training class offered at many gyms. So this person is doing resistance training.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Too much depends on the body. If you have been sitting on the couch for the last years and you start with one hour at the gym every day doing something intense with no rest days, it is very probable you will end up getting hurt. If you are an athlete already, too much could mean more than 8 hours per day :)
    Make sure to alternate exercises and start slowly, both in speed/time when doing cardio and in weights/resistance when doing strength training. In your schedule, I would not be doing the elliptical for three days in a row, but use it as a break between everything else. I would also probably skip one of the elliptical days completely, to add a rest day.