Low carb diet frustration

Options
2»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The overall calorie intake is probably more important than the ratio of carbs. As suggested be accurate with your portion sizes and if that's problematic, err on the side of overestimating your portion sizes when adding to your diary. Is 1400-1500 what MFP suggests for your size/height/activity level and what is the predicted weight loss MFP comes up with for you on that plan? How long have you been monitoring your weight to conclude you are not losing any/gaining?

Incorrect with someone with the hormone imbalances that PCOS causes.

Carb counting is far more important than calorie intake due to insulin and blood sugar levels.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i dont like low carb diets :(
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    i dont like low carb diets :(

That is your personal choice. The OP didn't ask whether anyone liked them or not, she asked for help because of a specific medical condition that pretty much requires a low / controlled carb lifestyle.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Looks like you were doing low carb, low fat diet. I eat more veggies than my high carb friends and have no problem keeping my carbs low. Also remember, with low carb its first 4 weeks which are tough. I went crazy when I lowered my carbs, but it got better after 4 weeks.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have PCOS and it was suggested that I try a low carb diet to help lose weight. I was on a diet of about 1400-1500 calories a day but I saw that I was still continuing to gain weight because my carbs were still at 120-150g a day. I decided to drop those and try to keep them under 50g a day (kind of the Atkins route). Easier said than done. I find myself looking at everything and feeling crappy about cutting out fruits and vegetables because they have carbs. I eat a sensible diet that consists of Greek yogurt, chicken, salads, vegetables, tuna, and lots of water. I'm finding my carbs still around 70g for the day. I have cut out all bread, pasta, crackers, potatoes, and soda/sugary drinks, but am still feeling like I'm not doing enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Whoever suggested that is an idiot, seriously.

My wife has the SAME EXACT disorder and she eats carbs whenever as long as it fits within her calories. She's dropped her skinny-fat and put on some solid muscle. I'm not saying skip out on protein and good fats, but don't ignore carbs either.

LOL.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have PCOS and it was suggested that I try a low carb diet to help lose weight. I was on a diet of about 1400-1500 calories a day but I saw that I was still continuing to gain weight because my carbs were still at 120-150g a day. I decided to drop those and try to keep them under 50g a day (kind of the Atkins route). Easier said than done. I find myself looking at everything and feeling crappy about cutting out fruits and vegetables because they have carbs. I eat a sensible diet that consists of Greek yogurt, chicken, salads, vegetables, tuna, and lots of water. I'm finding my carbs still around 70g for the day. I have cut out all bread, pasta, crackers, potatoes, and soda/sugary drinks, but am still feeling like I'm not doing enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Whoever suggested that is an idiot, seriously.

My wife has the SAME EXACT disorder and she eats carbs whenever as long as it fits within her calories. She's dropped her skinny-fat and put on some solid muscle. I'm not saying skip out on protein and good fats, but don't ignore carbs either.

I know this is an old post, but MAN does this infuriate me. PCOS is not the "SAME EXACT" in everyone. You can have PCOS with Insulin Resistance. You can be lean PCOS. You can have PCOS with absolutely NO PCO's! It is a flurry of different things that all get packed into one stupid disorder- so congratulate your wife on being successful with her diet, and then apologize to her for not even bothering to educate yourself on her condition. At all.

OP (if you are still around)- It really is a balance of what works for you. Personally, I have to be either at or under 75g carbs and working out HARD or at or under 40g carbs and just making sure I keep moving. It is a tough road- but it can be done!!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb and have no issues staying at around 50 net carbs. (total carbs minus fiber). I eat alot of meat, veggies, and almonds. And I stay at under 1500 calories and workout an hour a day 5 days a week. It is a great way for people to lose weight who are insulin resistant.

Make sure you are getting enough fiber because this will help keep you fuller longer. And try and drink close to a gallon of water a day. After a few days your cravings and appetite will diminish greatly.

I started low carb 2 months ago and have lost 8 pounds in 2 months. So it does work.