Cyclist v Motorist

Options

Replies

• d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    rules of the road for cyclists: drive the same direction as traffic. stay in the bike lane, however if one is not available, ride as close to the side as possible. if it is unsafe to ride on the side then you should join the regular driving lane and become part of the flow of traffic even if this slow down traffic. obey all traffic signs, including lights, do not use the crosswalk signal. if making a left hand turn you are expected to enter traffic and use the same left turn lane as cars do. in the instance of an accident, you are considered a vehicle and have the same rights and responsibilities as them.

how do i know these? because i was in an accident. in my case, i was following the rules of the road, while cycling and pulling a trailer behind me carrying my two children. i was taking my daughter to school. i entered the intersection on a green light, however the light changed very quickly from green to red giving me only enough time to cross halfway through the intersection. this was a very wide street (7 lanes wide). in most cases i would have stopped in the middle and waited out the crossing traffic but with the extended length from they trailor it was dangerous to do so and i was trapped in a very scary place. i made eye contact with all the cars nearby and everyone patiently waited for me to cross, however there was a utility van that was not stopped at the light and only saw that he had a green light, he didn't see me, despite the fact that all the cars were stopped at the intersection and i had a bright orange flag attached to the trailer, i was so focused on getting out of everyone's way that i didn't notice him coming til it was very much too late, and he hit my front tire, which threw me into the side of his van and then into the middle of the intersection. somehow my children were perfectly fine, just scared, and i only had a very slight tear in my shoulder and a hematoma on my leg. it was a terrifying experience. i followed the rules of the road, but i think it boils down to that i took them too literally. going on a green light is allowed, but its much safer to wait for the next green light especially on long intersections. anyway, because of the particular situation, the driver's insurance did end up claiming partial liability (thank God) so most of the expenses were covered. but since i was a cyclist and considered a vehicle i did have some liability due to being in the intersection on a red light, regardless of it being green when i entered.

my concern is that the law and the streets are biased to cars. the transition from green to yellow to red is not enough time for a bike to safely cross, which makes it dangerous. most of that route did not have bike lanes and was at times a little scary because cars would blow right past me. i'm really thankful that nothing worse happened to me. it took a long time for me to heal mentally and emotionally from what happened and thankfully both kids are good and not traumatized. but i would love to see some serious reform in bike riding safety and in car driver's awareness of bikes. i am now extremely aware of all bikes and always do my best to ensure their safety.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Prior to actually biking, I used to think cyclists should stay off the road. :embarassed: I honestly felt like, until and unless they can maintain speed like a car, or accelerate like a car, they shouldn't be where the cars are.

Actually cycling on the road, though, I can say that my opinion has changed. I try to stay on bike trails instead, anyway, because it's scary riding on the road (especially if there doesn't happen to be a bike lane).

I saw one of the previous responders mentioned the rules of the road for a cyclist. Here's my question for any able to answer it (completely serious, because I just started biking a few weeks ago): We have expansive bike trails in my neighborhood. These bike trails lead directly to pedestrian crosswalks, when they intersect with main roads. Am I allowed to use the crosswalk signal?
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, cyclists have the same rights on the roads as motorists, and when an alternative route is not available, they can even ride on the freeway! Yes it's true in the USA. I wish that people who rode against the traffic or broke traffic laws on their bikes would be held accountable, but that rarely happens.

The reasons a lot of motorists are rude and dangerous towards cyclists are:

1. They are ignorant of the laws or they just don't care
    2. They that their needs and desires are more important than other people's safety is
    3. They are distracted (again, see reason #1)
    4. They are just haters. They hate anyone out there doing something that in any way impede their schedules

It's everyone's responsibility to know the laws, obey them, and to be courteous to their fellow human beings. I hope that everyone on MFP who rides a bike (or motorcycle) is extra careful of the cars out there and that everyone in their cars watches out for our pedal cyclist (as one responder so cutely called them).

Have a wonderful weekend.
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Prior to actually biking, I used to think cyclists should stay off the road. :embarassed: I honestly felt like, until and unless they can maintain speed like a car, or accelerate like a car, they shouldn't be where the cars are.

Actually cycling on the road, though, I can say that my opinion has changed. I try to stay on bike trails instead, anyway, because it's scary riding on the road (especially if there doesn't happen to be a bike lane).

I saw one of the previous responders mentioned the rules of the road for a cyclist. Here's my question for any able to answer it (completely serious, because I just started biking a few weeks ago): We have expansive bike trails in my neighborhood. These bike trails lead directly to pedestrian crosswalks, when they intersect with main roads. Am I allowed to use the crosswalk signal?

honestly i'm still super confused by that one. i think if you are traveling in the crosswalk you are supposed to use the crosswalk signal. the first question i was asked when the fire men showed up is if the crosswalk signal was on or if i had used it. naturally i hadn't, because that's not how it works, but it made me nervous that they would put the blame more on me if i hadn't. luckily it had no bearing on my situation
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I stopped street riding for this very reason. I only ride on a biking/walking trail now.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I went on a bike ride the other day and got almost mowed off the street about 5-6 times. One truck driver (F-150) was so close he almost hit me with his side mirror on my shoulder and others were so close that their draft was made me sway with my balance. :frown: That made me consider not to ride alone or only on trails and destinated bike route (which limits my riding time or makes it boring due to doing the route over and over again to accumulate the miles/distance :grumble: :noway: ).
    I am not a beginner and consider my self very sturdy on the bike. So I joined a cycling group. As a group we are more visible and I feel it is safer. Motorists take their time to pass. As there is traffic we ride in a single file, but if the street is clear some of us ride side-by-side (sometimes you need that encouragement to keep up :tongue: ).
    As others stated, motorists need to be more considered, cyclists need to adhere to the traffic laws, the communities need to provide better infrastructures to allow more "bike commuters", and all need to be a little more patient towards each other. I also agree, that bicycle riders who are violating the law, should be "ticketed" or get a warning by law enforcement, because they endanger themselves and others. Every larger city in Germany has police officers on bike patrol for the inner city for pedestrian and bicycle violations. Maybe we should get something like this in the states as well. :smile:

As far as I know, if you ride your bicycle while intoxicated it can cause your drivers license to be suspended.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The ONLY "excuse" I can think of - which is still not good enough - is that in SOME areas, like mine, there are barely ever any cyclists on the roads so some people may rarely or never see them, and/or may not even know that they have the 'right' to ride on streets. For example, we live near a business district with a 5 lane road and large sidewalks on both sides. Cyclists do have the right to ride on the sidewalk OR street there - not a lot of pedestrians using the sidewalks normally - but I think most citizens, if surveyed, would believe the sidewalks are for bicycles and cyclists shouldn't be on the road.

My husband rides a lot, including on our city streets, but I mostly stick to our (quiet) neighborhood and local trails since I'm still not a super confident cyclist. But I understand cyclists have every right to use the road, too, and try to be courteous when I'm sharing the road with them.

I know it is a different topic somewhat, but I also try to leave tons of space for motorcycle and scooter drivers as well. I see a LOT of people in my area (often with huge vans or SUVs) who get within seriously just a few feet of the motorcycle/scooters at stoplights and driving down the road. Scary!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when I am out I pedal my electric bike around. When human powered, it's way slower than my normal road bike but I ride it more because it's heavy and slow and thus a better workout. The nice thing with it though is if I need to, I can turn a little handle and get up to 30 mph pretty quick to scoot around people or speed through in traffic when the side of the road sucks.

On a one lane road without a lot of safe passing spots, going 25-30 is just safer for folks on a bike and I still can't quit get my chubby self up that fast for long on pedals alone.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Not to keep hitting the nail on the head over and over but the truth is that the problem is not in the drivers or the riders but in the government's failure to adapt the infrastructure to safely support both.

Spot on bud
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to overtake. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal. Please can I ask any non-cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:

Hello, Tristan! I don't have a problem with sharing the road with bicyclists. In fact, a recently-passed law here in CA mandates that I leave space for the bicyclist.

I do, however, have a problem with cyclists who do not obey the rules of the road. And I have seen that all too often of late in my neighborhood (which, BTW, borders a school-zone). What have I seen?

*Groups of cyclists in the middle of the street or riding against traffic (instead of riding single-file with the flow of traffic).
    *Riding on the sidewalk: no problem with this for a young child, but should not be done by anyone over the age of 10. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.
    *Earbuds/headphones: I'm not allowed to use either while driving. How is a cyclist supposed to hear the traffic?

Mate i totally agree with you, We are all responsible for OUR behavior on the road. Chicken and egg scenario. Cyclist rides in the middle of the road so the motorist has to give him a wide birth because of an instance were the cyclist was "driven" into the kerb. Motorist drives close to the cyclist because the motorist was made to go out wider than he /she would have like due to a cyclist taking up half the road. And so the cycle continues. As for a whole group of cyclist taking up the road, well thats just bad manners and stupid. Hence why I only cycle on my own or with my son, If the whole family go (6 of us). We drive 50 miles to a family cycle trail.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to over take. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal.

Please can I ask any non cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:
    I for one hate bikers.
    -- 1 Why can't they use the side walks like people who walk?
    -- 2 if heaven forbid, I should bump into you by mistake, what kind of charges will be pressed against me?
    -- 3 If I bump a car, No charges and it only cost me $500 before my insurance kicks in.
    --4 We teach our kids not to play in the streets and to be in the streets in general, and yet. its o.k for bikers..

bikers should stay off the road and use the sidewalks .. thats what they are for.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    because- pedal bikes like to claim as much right to the road as a fully registered vehicle.

And they aren't.

We ALL have the SAME right to use OUR roads.

Cars do NOT have ANY more right to use the roads than Bikes do (or visa versa) .. The vehicle in front has right of way and the overtaking vehicle has a duty of care to do so ONLY when it is safe to do so.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

[/quote]

Because it's ILLEGAL (in the U.K) to ride on footpaths
    You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
    Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129
  • raytrimmer
    raytrimmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

bikers should stay off the road and use the sidewalks .. thats what they are for.

COMPLETE BOLLOCKS
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to over take. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal.

Please can I ask any non cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:
    I for one hate bikers.
    -- 2 if heaven forbid, I should bump into you by mistake, what kind of charges will be pressed against me?
    -- 3 If I bump a car, No charges and it only cost me $500 before my insurance kicks in.
    --4 We teach our kids not to play in the streets and to be in the streets in general, and yet. its o.k for bikers..

People bare pay attention to how they are walking much less to a small vehicle travelling two to three times their speed- as much as I feel very MEH about bikes on the street (I'm not anti bike- but I just don't particularly care for them either- so meh) they absolutely do not belong on the sidewalk.

that is way to dangerous.
    when an alternative route is not available, they can even ride on the freeway! Yes it's true in the USA.

um
    yeah no
    http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/highways.shtm
    there is a list of roads that follow- but this is the gist of the page.
    Bicycle traffic is restricted by regulations on the following roads. These are the only roadways for which access restrictions for bicycle traffic have been officially publicized.

Bicycle Permits
    In New Jersey, interstate roadways are currently closed to bicyclists; however, most sections are open by special permit issued by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT). For a permit to ride on these sections write to:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    because- pedal bikes like to claim as much right to the road as a fully registered vehicle.

And they aren't.

And then when they do things NOT for registered vehicles- they scream- we aren't cars.

and they are often extremely rude about sharing the road and very condescending about how much better they are that they are on bikes.

I ride a motorcycle- I'm aware of how dangerous being exposed on the road is- and even I get excessively annoyed with the entitled attitude of pedal bike folks.

THAT'S why no one likes bicyclists.

sorry... not sorry. noting personal- but the odds tip into the rude A hole camp more than the "polite" camp... much like when I tell people I ride a sport bike- everyone assumes I'm some flip flop wife beater stunting wanna be who lane splits at 120 through free way traffic.
    and even though I don't- there is a large percentage of sport riders who DO behave like that... so we all get lumped into and unless the majority STOP behaving like that- each of our respective groups has to suffer with the unwanted stigma.

sorry mate- that's just the way it is.

Yes. All bicyclists ride exactly the same way. Just like all motorcyclists ride without helmets, weave in and out of traffic and ride the shoulder, breaking the law at every turn.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

COMPLETE BOLLOCKS

We have bike lanes in my city, but I still won't ride to work because we have one of the highest bicycle accident rates in the U.S. Bicycles are a great means of transportation, cut down on emissions, and very inexpensive when compared to cars. It's a shame that we don't do more to make the roads safe for them.
  • complexB
    complexB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live in a bike-unfriendly city - Nashville TN - and it pains me to see how drivers treat cyclists despite the LAW which requires motorists give cyclists 3 FEET of space. Driver behavior keeps me away from cycling. And sadly, while the city encourages cycling by putting rental bikes all over town, they fail to provide the cyclists with helmets. It's very difficult to retro-fit our cities to cycling paths like Minneapolis did decades ago.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I figure I'd be pretty rude to a car going 10 mph in front of me causing a traffic jam, too. It's not the vehicle, it's the "I'm entitled to cause a traffic jam" attitude.