Remember the day you said enough is enough?????

Options

Replies

• melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    this time around july 2010, we had a family gathering and my neice took a pick of us sitting around talking and posted it on facebook, i was looking through the pics and was horrified!! i seen a very unhealhy person looking back at me i just sat and looked in disbelief. I wanted to be able to run and play with my son. so i started watching what i ate exercised here and there and lost 20lbs. So last week my bff asked me to be her maid of honor, so now more than ever i need/want to get back in shape for me and my son. i am loving this site, anytime i think i just want to go bing eat, i just come here now and i get motivated to go exercise! thankyou!
  • Veggie_Eloise
    Veggie_Eloise Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine was right after my birthday last year.
    02/12.

Pictures were developed.
    First time I had saw myself not pregnant.
    My husband actually thought I was still preggo in the pictures.
    Then I pointed at the cake in the background.
    I just saw a sad uncomfortable looking young woman.

It was around 262ish pounds I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    My moment came in May 09 when my mom, sister and I all weighed in on my wii fit and I weighed exactly the same as my mom! My mom has been fat for thirty years and although she is 4 inches shorter than me it really opened my eyes to weigh the same. Thirty three pounds later I feel more my usual self. i always said I wouldn't let myself gain more than five or ten pounds before dealing with it but graduate school and full time work let me gain forty pounds before I could give my weight the attention it deserved. Nearly at my goal and it is so nice to be able to tell my patients to exercise and lose weight without feeling like a hypocrite.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Mine was in July, I was taking my son on an amusement ride with my wife and the safety would not close because I was too big, but I continued to gain until one day (10/18/2010) I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 309lbs. That was the day that I found MFP!!!!
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My moment came in December of 2010. I was weighing on the wii fit, and my little mii got bigger according to my weight. My 8-year old daughter said, "Mom, your mii's so fat her belly's hanging out from under her shirt!" Ouch. I then asked my husband, who is notoriously honest, "Am I fat-fat, or pudgy-fat?" He said, "Um, fat-fat." Ouch again. I decided then I'd had enough. I was the heaviest I've ever been in my life, even heavier than peak-pregnancy weight. Time for a change.
  • treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post....I've had two slap me in the face with my own fat moments.

(1) At night out with friends, I thought i was looking great (two Thanksgiving Weekends ago). Then I saw the FB pictures. I looked so uncomfortable and like i was wearing clothes way too small for me.

After that, my wonderful husband nursed my pride back to health telling me how beautiful I was and that i dont look like the picture showed. But then (2) that Christmas at my parents, again, i thought I looked great. We were all hanging out with my family having some beers and playing cards. As i stood next to the table, by my dad, my dad glanced over to me and, in front of everybody, looked at my muffin top and said, "damn, daughter, are you pregnant again?!?"

Everyone laughed except me, and as my husband caught me eye across the room it was all I could do to not run away crying. I was devastated. i kept in until we got home and i just felt...broken and exposed.

Since then, it's been a battle more emotionally than anything. The hard part isn't losing weight, it's losing the emotional baggage that I hid behind so long. I am doing better now with the "lifestyle change", but it's such a battle every day.

Glad to read that others are experiencing the same, i never want to feel so damaged, hopeless, and miserable again!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the specific day, but I had recently found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child and had not lost all of the weight from my 1st. I knew that I had to gain weight because I was pregnant, but I was bound and determined to lose weight after I had him.
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The day after Thanksgiving 2010. I had started running in 2005 and had run 3 half-marathons (my last one being Jan. 2010). I took some time off from the training schedule because I had lost my passion for running. However, I didn't stop eating all of the carbs I had become accustomed to eating while training. Fast forward to Thanksgiving day, I ate/nibbled all day long on whatever I could get my hands on. My clothes were feeling tight. I had a horrible muffin top. I was beginning to look like I was smuggling an innertube under my t-shirt. Fortunately, I found MFP the day after Thanksgiving and decided to start then. I have since lost 8 pounds and am thrilled. I am beginning to run again and enjoy it. :)

Best of luck to all of you, MFP'ers! I am so motivated by all of the great stories out there! Keep up the great work!
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    Late December of 2010--I had spent some hard-earned money in September on new work clothes that would make me feel fabulous. By December, I was needing to unbutton my pants to sit comfortably, just like my mom and dad have to. And then I had a look at where I stood on the scale, and I am just between "overweight" and "obese". Morbid obesity runs in the family, so if I'm going to stop myself from ending up like my beloved (but fat, unhealthy and in pain) relatives, I need to lose at least 30 pounds NOW!
  • ZebraGlee78
    ZebraGlee78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A month ago today. 12/09/10. My best friend came over to take holiday pics of me and my husband (and our pups), and I looked so fat. I hadn't taken any pics of myself recently, and I thought I was "on the right track." I was partially, but since then, I've lost 20 lbs (10%)!
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I dont remember the actual date, but i know i was 23...and something had to change. I was Always the funny one ( still am :) ) but inside i was dying....not only physically but mentally. I've had a long journey, down 113 lbs. I have maintained my weight the last 5 years, but i have those last 20 lbs to go...It's a daily struggle, and now that i'm close to my goal, i see myself becoming harsher about those areas i never noticed before! It's a mental game too, no doubt about it!!! I think the success stories are so great, sometimes i forget that i too, have had success this far!!! Thanks for sharing everyone!!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I decided enough was enough when I found out my ex-husband, recently divorced about 2 months ago, has a new girlfriend! I sure as heck don't want to be left behind and that has motivated me more than anything. I decided to take charge and get serious and do something about it!. Enough of feeling down and out and left out, no more. I want to to get to 155-160 pounds by Feb. 2012. This is my time to reinvent myself and become the person I know I can be. There is a skinny version of me in here somewhere?! This all happened on Thanksgiving, so I started the day after, now it's just over 6 weeks later, down 25 pounds so far!
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have to tell myself every single day that enough is enough as I don't want to lose sight of why I not only want, but need to lose weight. I know that a lot of the additional weight that I carry is in emotional baggage that I have to learn to get rid of as well as I am sure it has
    played a huge (pardon the pun) part in gaining weight to begin with.
    4492 Posts: 15
    Options
    There has been many I mean many of those days, and by me still having the weight on me I guess enough wasn't enough. I stopped drinking after years of abuse, I use to say that that was the reason I couldn't lose weight. I haven't had a drink in 8mths. and I am still close to my all time high 271. I just turned 36 and I thought that that would be my milestone but that was a month ago and I was 267. In 2005 I was 240, in 2002 I went down to 208 and in 1997 I was 175. Today I am 263.2 and don't understand why. I like that lady's post about cal. in<cal. out or something like that. I once was told that a champion is made up of losers that never quit. Call me a champion because I am still on this journey.:noway:
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mine was 5/10/10.

I'd had a baby on 3/23/10 and lost my dad on 9/4/09. He had a heart attack and had struggled with his weight for a long time. He lost a lot of it and was only 54 years old.

I hated how I looked in the mirror and I didn't want to leave my kids without a mom. I was also having numerous health problems. I weighed in at 297 lbs the day I left the hospital after having my daughter. I know I can't ever go back to the way I was.

November 2010 was a really bad month for me because of all the stress. I slipped up a bit and gained back 2 or 3 pounds but I'm fully back on track now and I feel great. So far I've lost 82 lbs and I'm almost halfway there.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Like some here, I didn't really have an AHA moment, it was more of a progression. Those who know me know my marriage issues and health issues, but for those of you who don't I've been here off an on for a long time. In July I had a total hysterectomy after they found a cancerous area. So I was laid up for a while. And now my lupus is getting worse (heart, lung, possible kidney/brain involvement), to the point where I've now started Methotrexate injections -- this is a drug that is sometimes used as chemo for cancer patients. I also just found out there's a chance my once-gone brain tumor is back. :mad:

My reasoning for losing weight is that with all my illnesses the less weight on my joints the better it'll be for me in the long run. But I'm also on chronic steroid therapy for the lupus, which makes it hard to lose the weight. I've found myself slipping these few wks with how bad I've been feeling -- lupus and the meds are making my hair fall out, for instance. The day of my first dose about all I could hold down was ice cream. There are days my husband has to almost carry me up the stairs or walk me from the couch to the bathroom. So depression sets in and I go back to bad habits, ie cokes, etc.

So I guess here's my new AHA moment. I don't like that my weight loss progress has slowed/stopped and I need to pick myself up and go back to what I was doing diet wise, even if most days I can hardly move. That any little bit I can do is better than nothing. To allow myself a few treats here and there, but not fall completely off track. So I'm renewing my committment to at least eat better, eat balanced, and just see what comes next.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Everyone thanks for posting to my topic. Please add me as a friend and lets start pay it forward nation!
  • Heinz57
    Options
    I was at the fair with my family and my oldest daughter who was 8 at the time had to ride all the rides alone because I wouldn't fit on them. That was the 1st time I realized. I lost 60 lbs. and was feeling good. Then we had our son and after 10 months of not getting a full night sleep I had thoroughly given up. On 1/3/11 I decided that since none of my old fat clothes fit and i am 10 lbs. heavier than my old start weight...350...I am done with it. Some of the people at work started a weight loss group so let's go for it. Good luck all.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Can I just say two things -

First one - you are all so WONDERFUL and I LOVE reading your stories and send you all much love and best wishes. :flowerforyou:

Second - I don't know if it is a cultural/language issue, but I have NO idea what 'pay it forward' means and what is pay it forward nation please? I have never heard the saying before and it is meaningless to me so I am not sure what it is you want us all to join? Thank you :embarassed:
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    My moment was over this last Christmas when I was feeling thoroughly miserable. I ate crap and all I did was sit around and I felt it. I felt really lethargic, had headaches and generally felt like rubbish. I was also speaking to my boyfriend's mom who's recently lost weight through Weight Watchers and it made me realise how much better I felt when I was lighter. I am determined to change my habits for good this time so I am trying hard to reduce the amount of junk I eat. So far it's working - I had a 3 pound loss in my first week. I just hope I can keep it up!

Everyone on this thread has been so inspirational so far by the way, it's truly motivating to read everyone's stories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!