Where do I start my strength training at the gym?

Options
I usually just do cardio at the gym - on the elliptical or the treadmill. But my weight loss has slowed down and I'm not making much progress anymore. I want to start strength training; which machines do you recommend me starting with? All tips welcome, thank you!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend any machines to start. Stick to free weights. You want to focus on heavy compound lifts: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows, Pull Ups/Lat Pull Downs. If you want an actual lifting program look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    So, have you looked at programs that are interesting to you at all?
    I would find an easy to use program (Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, there's another program called Ice Cream lifts or something... I don't know.. find some gym program you like and can stick with). If you do not like any programs online- go to a trainer and explain that you want to start up a program.

here is a fitness program picker: http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/#muscle_gain/strength/beginner

Now that you found a program you are ready to start lifting, right? Possibly. Check out form. Watch some youtube videos- do some quality research. Cannot lift a barbell? DO not do strength lifting with a barbell. Modify the lifts with dumb bells. Or just start with body strength (Squats & Lunges, negatives on pull-ups, modified tricep movements (like reverse plank and going down and bending your elbows and lifting yourself back up to reverse planks). Unsure of what you are doing? get a trainer that you have a goal program, however you are unsure about your form.

you can practice barbell movements with pvc pipes.

here is an irrelevant link: http://whatanimaldoyoulift.herokuapp.com/
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    There's a few great programs for beginners.

StrongLifts is an app you can get on your smartphone. It will have you alternate between 2 workouts in which you do 5 reps, 5 sets, of 3 full-body lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows. It helps you keep track of everything, including your progress, and lots of people have had impressive results.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book with a similar program of lifts which work your whole body. It has a few more moves than StrongLifts, and is a little more complicated, but it also gets great results.

Starting Strength is another one which has gotten good reviews, but I have no experience with it.
  • princesszuko
    Options
    I looked at Stronglifts and I'm worried because I don't know how to hold a free weight, how my posture should be, or anything really. I'm just curious - why are the weight machines at the gym bad for beginners?
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to hire a trainer for a few sessions, I'd recommend it. I started out new to weightlifting 10 months ago, and hiring a trainer was the best money I've spent. He started me with a beginning lifting program (free weights mostly with a few machines). I've advanced to squats, dead lifts, etc., but it took me months. I plan on completing Stronglifts also, but I think a beginner program is a good way to ease into these more advanced lifts. Getting your form correct will be very important to avoid injury down the road with heavier weights. Good luck!
  • Malthuura
    Malthuura Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out shovelgloving. That's something easy you can do at home and they should you exactly what to do. I'm no fitness expert, far from it actually, but here's what I do and I've starting to see a difference even after only a few weeks:

I take a class one night a week- a Circuit Cycle class that alternates cycling with strength exercises like lunges, squats, triceps, planks, etc. Before class I use some of the machines, the ones I'm comfortable with. I do three sets of ten for each machine and if I feel like it I go back and do a few of the machines a second time. After class I hit the pool to leisurely swim. At least two or three other days during the week I swim and in the pool I do plenty of exercises using the water as my resistance.

I'm also taking part in a challenge with a few friends- It's one of those do a varying number of squats/crunches/sit-ups a day. It's been nice. I can actually do sit-ups now! I took the time to look online, to research how to do each of those exercises properly. Soon I also plan to get a resistance cord because I've discovered -via my cycle class- that they assist in balance when doing my squats while working my biceps at the same time.

I've considered hitting some of the machines before the pool on those other days because I feel like they help a great deal. I'm not sure why they shouldn't be used for beginners. I know they give me guidance and assistance where I need it, especially because I have arthritis and have always had trouble with free weights. Machines that don't require me to move weights- that let me just move a stick to the right weight I need and start- are a feature I'm very thankful for. Those machines tell you exactly how to sit, move, etc.. and I have a lot more trouble with poster and such when using free weights.

A trainer is a great idea if you can afford one. That's on my bucket list. *chuckles* My suggestion is to talk to some of the people at the gym- take a class then pull the teacher aside and get their opinion. I know I've found out some very useful information that way- like making sure I do hamstring exercises to compensate for how much work my other leg muscles are getting during cycle.

Start slow. Start with a plan. Don't be afraid of the machines. Work at your own pace but make progress.

I can't imagine I helped much but I wish you all the best as you figure out what'll work for you.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend any machines to start. Stick to free weights. You want to focus on heavy compound lifts: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows, Pull Ups/Lat Pull Downs. If you want an actual lifting program look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

^^^ this. Good luck with your strength training
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Try to get a personal trainer to show you what to do a few times. Otherwise, look into videos showing correct form, and practice in front of a mirror at first with either no weight at all, or very low weight so you will not be at risk of any injury and feel more comfortable. Also you could look into circuit training classes, as you will also learn the basics for many exercises there regarding form.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I looked at Stronglifts and I'm worried because I don't know how to hold a free weight, how my posture should be, or anything really. I'm just curious - why are the weight machines at the gym bad for beginners?

If you can afford it, get just one or two sessions with a personal trainer who can show you the correct way to do these basic lifts. If not, just google them. You'll find tons of videos and step-by-step posters showing exactly how to do each lift, and all the do's and don'ts to keep you safe. I didn't use a personal trainer, I just watched the videos and looked through a few fitness sites with advice on form, and I felt pretty comfortable after the first few times.

One thing that nobody told me at first is that the bar is 45 lbs. (I assume that's a standard weight for all barbell bars?) and that you should start with just lifting the bar until you're comfortable with your form.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

YouTube. I googled all the moves and watched videos.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

If you can afford it, get just one or two sessions with a personal trainer who can show you the correct way to do these basic lifts. If not, just google them. You'll find tons of videos and step-by-step posters showing exactly how to do each lift, and all the do's and don'ts to keep you safe. I didn't use a personal trainer, I just watched the videos and looked through a few fitness sites with advice on form, and I felt pretty comfortable after the first few times.

One thing that nobody told me at first is that the bar is 45 lbs. (I assume that's a standard weight for all barbell bars?) and that you should start with just lifting the bar until you're comfortable with your form.

This is a men's bar. There are also lower weight women's bars which might be a better idea if the OP is an absolute beginner and feels uncomfortable.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

This is a men's bar. There are also lower weight women's bars which might be a better idea if the OP is an absolute beginner and feels uncomfortable.

I don't think my gym has lower weight bars. They seem to all be the same. But I found that 45 lbs was ok to begin with, and I'm pretty weak and out of shape.