Oatmeal- good or bad?

Options
leahadix3
leahadix3 Posts: 24 Member
Hey everyone!

I was wondering is plain oatmeal good to eat to help with weight loss? I was planning on buying plain Quaker Oatmeal and adding fruits or cinnamon to it most days of the week and having smoothies on other days. Also, what are your opinions on Dole frozen fruit for smoothies? I would be using that with some orange juice. For lunch and dinner I plan on eating salads and grilled chicken and lots of veggies, I just want to make sure I have a good breakfast to start the day. Thanks in advance! And feel free to add any suggestions :happy:

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal at least three times a week. As long as it's something you like and it fits in your goals, anything is fine.

I usually add plain Greek yogurt, fruit, honey, walnuts and cinnamon to mine. It's delicious - fresh peaches are my favorite addition right now! :smile:

Overnight oats are another option for oatmeal, and great for summer. http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/08/overnight-refrigerator-oats-with-fruit-and-honey-mitten-moms-conference-recap.html Bananas and fresh raspberries are my favorites for overnight oats.
  • Act2130
    Act2130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my favorite diet food--- you can do so much with it for so little calories and it is sooo filling.

Some of my favorite--- chocolate oatmeal ( Quaker instant oats with 20 calorie diet hot chocolate mixed in after cooking)
    Pumpkin pie oatmeal ( Quaker instant oatmeal 1/4 pure pumpkin 1/4 cup almond milk cinnamon and truvia)
    Oatmeal pancakes ( 1/2 cup old fashioned oats blended into powder, 1 egg white, water, truvia)

As frozen fruit for smoothies just make sure it is unsweeted. I personally love target frozen strawberries and raspberries the best
  • leahadix3
    Options
    I eat oatmeal at least three times a week. As long as it's something you like and it fits in your goals, anything is fine.

I usually add plain Greek yogurt, fruit, honey, walnuts and cinnamon to mine. It's delicious - fresh peaches are my favorite addition right now! :smile:

Overnight oats are another option for oatmeal, and great for summer. http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/08/overnight-refrigerator-oats-with-fruit-and-honey-mitten-moms-conference-recap.html Bananas and fresh raspberries are my favorites for overnight oats.

Thanks for the response! And I would have never thought to add Greek yogurt or honey, yum! And the overnight oats sound good!
  • leahadix3
    Options
    Oatmeal is my favorite diet food--- you can do so much with it for so little calories and it is sooo filling.

Some of my favorite--- chocolate oatmeal ( Quaker instant oats with 20 calorie diet hot chocolate mixed in after cooking)
    Pumpkin pie oatmeal ( Quaker instant oatmeal 1/4 pure pumpkin 1/4 cup almond milk cinnamon and truvia)
    Oatmeal pancakes ( 1/2 cup old fashioned oats blended into powder, 1 egg white, water, truvia)

As frozen fruit for smoothies just make sure it is unsweeted. I personally love target frozen strawberries and raspberries the best

Those sound good! And I'll definitely go to Target to check out the frozen fruit. Thanks for the reply!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for breakfast frequently :) i microwave old-fashioned rolled oats with some (soy or almond) milk and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, then stir in nut butter, chocolate chips, honey/maple syrup, etc and top with chopped fruit, such as bananas, strawberries, or apples and sometimes nuts.

I'm not a big fan of juices and smoothies in general, but frozen fruit is a great option, given there is no sugar added
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal before most of my early workouts. I like it with natural peanut butter mixed. If you do like oatmeal, yes, get the plain old fashioned kind, not the quick cook sugary stuff. I don't eat many grains, but oatmeal is one I tolerate very well and get good results with in my workouts.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I add peanut butter and 2 brownie bites to mine. Yummy and filling.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Oatmeal is great in everyway. I eat oatmeal with chia seeds almost every day for breakfast......
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm getting some great ideas for my oatmeal! I love oatmeal in the afternoons when I need something filling. Right now I put blueberries and a sprinkle of brown sugar on top. I like the chocolate oatmeal idea though. YUM.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    ]10401654_1429098144017915_1034799117_n_zps76c7394e.jpg

My daily oatmeal .. 750 calories of heaven .. Oatmeal is supposed to be fun :)
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    ]10401654_1429098144017915_1034799117_n_zps76c7394e.jpg

My daily oatmeal .. 750 calories of heaven .. Oatmeal is supposed to be fun :)

:noway:

Yum
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'll be THAT guy.

I totally abstain from oatmeal. Why? Relatively high carbs. Takes a big chunk out of my daily carb macros.

A packet of plain oatmeal contains about 19 grams of carbohydrates and 2.8 grams of fiber, which corresponds to 16.2 grams of net carbs.

Instead I prefer to get my carbs from vegs. And if I want a cookie...instead of oatmeal I have choc or peanut butter. No, not because they are lower in carbs, but I consider them a treat, and enjoy the taste. Yes, you may enjoy oatmeal as much.....

I realize that I'll probably get flamed for this....but at the end of the day, I'll stick with more proteins, lower carbs and that means no oatmeal. :tongue:
  • Act2130
    Act2130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ummm...amazing? Lol
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast and sometimes lunch too. Yes it is high in carbs but for the calories it keeps me full for a long time. Love mine with yogurt and chia seeds too! Yum! Refrigerator oats are delicious too. I'm a big fan and have lost weight while eating them. Careful of how much sugar or honey your adding for calories.
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Really good! You should try the steel cut oats by quaker. It takes a little longer to cook and it is a little more expensive but it is better for you.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal!!! I seem like the only one in my family to eat it but its really good with some peanut butter, or sometimes I put in some maple syrup and some brown sugar...yummy!
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I want to eat oatmeal but it's too high in calories and carbs.
  • katelosingweight7
    Options
    I eat it most days for breakfast with blueberries, banana, chia and yoghurt. Doesn't keep me full though like everyone always says, I'm starving an hour later
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hated it as a kid, but have grown fond of it now that I have to have it. I have low iron, and it happens to have a lot of that.
    I do however use the instant packets. Some say the oats in the big bag are better. Don't know the truth to that, so if someone knew that'd be awesome.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's good for losing weight, but I did eat porridge/oatmeal for breakfast through most of my weight loss, and I liked it because it felt substantial enough to keep me going until lunchtime.

I would weigh it out every now and then (not every single time, but occasionally) to get an idea of my portion size. (It's easy to eat too much!). I always made it with salt and water, but sometimes would add all sorts of things to it: chopped nuts, nut butters, seeds, frozen berries, dark chocolate chips, jam, honey, quark, etc. I've never used instant oats, but I always made it in a microwave (so easy!).