Oatmeal- good or bad?

Options

Replies

• PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I don't eat it often though.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ]10401654_1429098144017915_1034799117_n_zps76c7394e.jpg

My daily oatmeal .. 750 calories of heaven .. Oatmeal is supposed to be fun :)

Oh my that looks yummy!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nowt wrong with porridge.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you like it, I would however recommend cereal. I do find oatmeal to be satiating.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have it every morning with a sprinkle of sugar. It's the only breakfast that keeps me going for the morning. Any time I try to eat something else, I am starved an hour later.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I struggle with porridge as I find it too heavy for me in the mornings (I feel the same way about peanut butter!). However, I've started having some oats mixed in with natural yoghurt and I'm enjoying that.

I was told by a professional that cereal is way too fast-release to be effective for breakfast as part of a weight loss programme, FYI. So although I don't deny myself, I don't eat it for breakfast at the moment!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I was told by a professional that cereal is way too fast-release to be effective for breakfast as part of a weight loss programme,

I've always heard the exact opposite .. that Oats are Slow Release.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=oats slow release energy
  • iamuniqueiam
    iamuniqueiam Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but for some reason I find I'm hungry very soon after eating it and it gives me horrible heartburn!! I know oatmeal is supposed to be one of those foods that's good for sensitive stomachs but it just doesn't sit well with me at all.
  • TahoeHeathen
    Options
    Cereal is quick release, when you think of cheerios and such. And while oatmeal is a cereal as well, it is slow release, not as much processing to break it up. It and Barley have the lowest GI values of the grains
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yep, thats what I meant - it was in response to something someone said earlier. Oats are slow, but cereal in general is fast.
    I was told by a professional that cereal is way too fast-release to be effective for breakfast as part of a weight loss programme,

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=oats slow release energy
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is awesome... though I have to say, making it with milk seems to be more filling than making it with water... Tried it with water once and I was hungry very quickly after, where with milk I'm good for a few hrs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is supposed to be good for you, I like it with the right toppings but I don't find it filling much unfortunately.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Yep, thats what I meant - it was in response to something someone said earlier. Oats are slow, but cereal in general is fast.

I've always considered cereal and oatmeal as two different things.... Guess they're not since they're both grains?

And oats are definitely slow release.. maybe because the cereal is so overprocessed? Just becomes empty carbs? (did not read that link)
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal everyone morning with cinnamon and unsweetened almond milk. Sometimes I add blueberries or raisins.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here is a great article by a fellow MFPer on the topic of cereal. http://strengthunbound.com/how-breakfast-cereal-warps-nutrition/
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I start just about every day with a bowl of slow-cooked oatmeal. Depending on my mood and my activity plan for the day, I might mix in:
    - apples & cinnamon
    - blueberries
    - peanut butter
    - peanut butter & banana

I find I'm full well until late morning, at which point I can either wait until lunch, or grab a small snack (e.g. 1 oz / 30g of mixed almonds/cashews), to hold me over to until lunch.

My 1/2 cup of oats does supply ~50g of carbs, but also provides about 10g fibre, 13g protein, plus another 4g protein from the half cup of (semi)skimmed milk I cook in with it.

Note: I don't find the same value in "quick oats", as I find I'm hungry much sooner after eating them ... perhaps down to the processing and lower fibre content?

As far as whether or not you can lose weight if you eat oatmeal, I'll let my ticker answer that question for you. :)
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Quaker oatmeal maple and brown sugar is really good. They also have berries and cream oatmeal that is only 130 calories per pack, so if you eat 2 packs, it would only be 260 calories for breakfast! I tend to eat Quaker oatmeal almost every morning, I just try and mix up the flavors.
  • Richterchuk
    Richterchuk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Count me in as one who makes her own and stays full until lunch.

High carbs or not - keeping me from snacking is worth it, IMHO.

I used to use the packets (and still do in a pinch, but only Apples and Cinnamon as it is lower in sugar and calories than the others, other than the plain). I find the packets don't satiate me like my homemade ones do.

I tried stirring protein powder into mine and YUCK. Didn't turn out for me! Same goes with adding yogurt.

I cook 1/3 cup with 2/3 cup of water and 1/4 tsp cinnamon on the stovetop (can microwave too). I add in 20 g of raisins for natural sweetness and the iron. Once it's cooked I drizzle 1/4 cup whole milk on the top. I use whole milk because the fat content helps with satiety and it's only 1/4 cup so it doesn't have a lot of damage calorie wise (at least for me).

I've tried Pinterest recipes and they always ask for 1/2 cup of oats though - that makes way too large of a serving for me.

For those of you who cook your own - do you use 1/3 or 1/2 cup of dry oats?
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Count me in as one who makes her own and stays full until lunch.

High carbs or not - keeping me from snacking is worth it, IMHO.

I used to use the packets (and still do in a pinch, but only Apples and Cinnamon as it is lower in sugar and calories than the others, other than the plain). I find the packets don't satiate me like my homemade ones do.

I tried stirring protein powder into mine and YUCK. Didn't turn out for me! Same goes with adding yogurt.

I cook 1/3 cup with 2/3 cup of water and 1/4 tsp cinnamon on the stovetop (can microwave too). I add in 20 g of raisins for natural sweetness and the iron. Once it's cooked I drizzle 1/4 cup whole milk on the top. I use whole milk because the fat content helps with satiety and it's only 1/4 cup so it doesn't have a lot of damage calorie wise (at least for me).

I've tried Pinterest recipes and they always ask for 1/2 cup of oats though - that makes way too large of a serving for me.

For those of you who cook your own - do you use 1/3 or 1/2 cup of dry oats?

I do 1/2 cup dry oats, 1/4 cup milk (semi or whole, depending on what is available), 1/4 or so of water, microwave for 3 mins, let sit for a minute, stir in my fresh fruit (usually banana & blueberries), and enjoy. Depending on which fruit(s) I mix in, my total calorie count is 500-600, of which 300 are the oats. Depending on your daily targets, 1/3 cup dry oats might be sufficient.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i think oatmeal's yummy. i just buy the flavored instant packages. some people scream blasphemy for using those, but i love 'em. my favorite is maple brown sugar by far. i haven't had it in awhile, but it's really yummy with berries or chopped fruit added too.