feeling guilty after binges

Options
I've always struggled with binge eating and I always feel so awful after my binges. I'll start the day eating healthily, but then in the evening I'll binge. I've had 6 binge days in the past 2 weeks. On days I haven't binged I've managed to stay healthy and exercise a lot. I'll give you an example of a binge like yesterday
-3 packets of crisps
-6 oreos
-A crunch bar
-Twix mix (small packet)
-A sandwich with cheese and salami
-2 frozen yoghurts
-A bowl of quinoa
-A low fat chocolate mousse
-A crumpet

I probably had like 4000 calories yesterday. I still feel really hungry this morning and I want something sweet. I had a banana, some strawberries and attempted omelette (didn't come out) with a bit of cheese. I still feel hungry. I'm worried I've gained a lot of weight from the binges. Its hot as well so it makes exercising really hard and impractical so I have to stay indoors. I feel really depressed; my depressed feeling lead me to binge and I feel even worse. How can I get back on track. I've really failed myself. I don't know why I keep binging when I feel so crap afterwards, maybe because it's an instant fix. How can I stop binging for good?

Replies

• hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel because I've binged this weekend as well. I have a way of doing that and since I'm not losing weight I suppose I eat all of it back in the weekends, even though I have a solid deficit the rest of the week.

I don't know the answer to it unfortunately. Looking at what you've binged it seems you get a little sugar crazy? Working on your sugar addiction may be smart. I have heard that if you kick it for some time the urge for sugar will drop. So it's going to be hard at first, but very rewarding later. Some say more chromium works too.

Also recognize that it is emotional eating. An urge for a very specific food is never legitimate hunger. When you're craving chips it is either salt you want or something with carbohydrates, so have a healthier option in the house. I sometimes get those snack bags from Shapers (here in London) which are all under 100 cals.

If you have a real binging problem therapy might be an idea. I've had some binges where I've attempted to throw up after and the fact that I would rather eat a lot and then turn my stomach than go without is really not a good thing..
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I've always struggled with binge eating and I always feel so awful after my binges. I'll start the day eating healthily, but then in the evening I'll binge. I've had 6 binge days in the past 2 weeks. On days I haven't binged I've managed to stay healthy and exercise a lot. I'll give you an example of a binge like yesterday
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

I probably had like 4000 calories yesterday. I still feel really hungry this morning and I want something sweet. I had a banana, some strawberries and attempted omelette (didn't come out) with a bit of cheese. I still feel hungry. I'm worried I've gained a lot of weight from the binges. Its hot as well so it makes exercising really hard and impractical so I have to stay indoors. I feel really depressed; my depressed feeling lead me to binge and I feel even worse. How can I get back on track. I've really failed myself. I don't know why I keep binging when I feel so crap afterwards, maybe because it's an instant fix. How can I stop binging for good?

Perhaps finding out why you do it might help. The other thing is not buying all these things? Dont keep them in the house. Try find healthier options too. Another thing. Dont deny yourself a food or treat. I think that leads to bingeing. I will still have crisps or a chocolate here and there. So I dont end up bingeing. If I want something sweet but I've nearly had all my calories I will have a nice lolly. They're low in calories and sweet tasting. Or buy a smaller chocolate or lower calorie crisps.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

If you want to calorie count, then you need to calorie count. Are you? If so, how many calories are you giving yourself? If you're setting your goal too low then you're setting yourself up for failure and binges. Pure willpower doesn't work in the face of too few calories.

And another thing, stop beating yourself up. The goal here is to teach yourself moderation and portion control, and to avoid those binges. A big part of that is mental. Negative self talk doesn't help, and neither does your current user name. Start being positive with yourself. You've had 8 successful days in the last two weeks. Pat yourself on the back and work to get more of those.

Edit: typo.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

If you want to calorie count, then you need to calorie count. Are you? If so, how many calories are you giving yourself? If you're setting your goal too low then you're setting yourself up for failure and binges. Pure willpower doesn't work in the face of too few calories.

And another thing, stop beating yourself up. The goal here is to teach yourself moderation and portion control, and to avoid those binges. A big part of that is mental. Negative self talk doesn't help, and neither does your current user name. Start being positive with yourself. You've had 8 successful days in the last week. Pat yourself on the back and work to get more of those.

bolded for excellence ~ once again saved me from typing :flowerforyou:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

And another thing, stop beating yourself up. The goal here is to teach yourself moderation and portion control, and to avoid those binges. A big part of that is mental. Negative self talk doesn't help, and neither does your current user name. Start being positive with yourself. You've had 8 successful days in the last week. Pat yourself on the back and work to get more of those.

bolded for excellence ~ once again saved me from typing :flowerforyou:

I love it when I am sleepy and can't get my thoughts written out, and I can just quote this excellent advice. Please listen to this!
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    I'm a recovering binge eater. I go to therapy once a week. It really has to do with why you are binging. Food is your drug instead of alcohol and our brains react with food by not turning on the on/off switch that most people have so we binge. You need to get to the core of your problems. Please feel free to add me :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    While I think you'd do great with a therapist to help you in this journey, if that's not possible, you can check out this site for self-help CBT: http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/. There are a lot of worksheets which will help you recognise what's going on. Or you can try the book I suggest to my clients, Mind Over Mood.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound patronizing or genius depending on your perspective. But remember that very often the reason for binges is that .. food is tasty. And you are bored. Very often if you find some engaging way to spend your time staving off your appetite becomes the least of your concerns. You are far too busy to stuff your face.

At least it always happens to me like that. On work days I don't really have any trouble sticking to calorie goals. But it's always on the bloody Sundays where im chilling out in front of my pc on my rest day. That I get assaulted my hunger pangs.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Hello,

This is normal after a binge, I never suffered from BED before but I have binged a twice before. When and if you need to talk to anyone I am here, also to help the bloating I would take peppermint tea, it helps :)

Here for you
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

All is see in this list is someone who isn't get enough protein. I bet if you eat more high protein foods (fish, chicken etc) you will feel more satiated and therefore less likely to binge on high carb foods.
  • mackoulc
    mackoulc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Reading your post I felt like I could have written the same words. I too struggle with very frequent binges and the bad feelings that always follow.
    I've been thinking a lot about why I do this and how to stop. I can only speak for myself, but I tend to binge when I'm feeling down (which unfortunately is often); it's definitely a habit, but I also think it's a way of punishing myself.
    Working out certainly helps, emotionally and physically. If it's too hot to workout outside, maybe you could explore some dvds that you could use in your home. Or maybe a regular morning walk; sunshine is good for the soul.

I'm still struggling with this (maybe I always will) but I think we need to take one small step at a time and try to find other things to fill the void we now fill with food.

Please be patient with and kind to yourself.
  • one985
    one985 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are ways to fight off the urges/cravings. Without knowing you personally, I'm not sure what advices to give, but these are the things I do:

- Refusing to buy junk food. Those piles of oreo cookies and chocolates are always in my face when I go to the grocery stores. But look at the nutritional information: 3 cookies for 160 calories and 14 grams of refined sugar. Three dollars a box. I'm better without them.

- Brushing my teeth when I have the urges because anything tastes bad with toothpaste. Also use the mouthwash because we must wait 30 minutes to eat or drink anything. This doesn't make me binge on junk food after the 30 minutes.

- Get out of the house. Go to the gym. I eat much less when I'm out and nothing at the gym.

I find that eating something sweet in small portion is not enough. Fighting off the urge to eat more is harder than not eating one in the first place. So, no, no and no! I will not open that package.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater too and went to a BED clinic to get help (I don't know if you have BED but it sounds like you do binge). I realize not everyone can do that but you most likely do need some kind of professional help to get through this. There are 12 step programs (you can do them online or by phone if they're not close to you), therapists who specialize in this and support groups.

Things that will probably not work on your own, with all due respect to the kind posters who suggested them:

1) Adding protein. This has nothing to do with macronutrients or nutrition in general. Adding protein will just add calories on top of calories. Stopping the binge and changing overall habits are the key.

2) People might not understand that if you really, truly want to binge then not having food in the house won't work. I found myself in the cookie or Doriotos aisle at late at midnight grabbing armfuls of binge foods. Thank goodness for self-checkout. I was spared the looks of the cashier.

If you can't make it to any kind of help, then I suggest this book (not affiliated)

Overcoming Binge Eating, Second Edition: The Proven Program to Learn Why You Binge and How You Can Stop by Christopher G. Fairburn. It's what my highly successful program was based on.

One last thing - you need to be kind to yourself and realize that there are other factors than Oreos at work in your mind and body.
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

Personally I know exactly this I've been struggling with Bulimia for that past yera, getting much much better but the advice and support of family and professionals has been the key to success.
    Its difficult because of past traumatic situations, food is a destressor like smoking is for others and its addictive too.

I suggest going to clinics or councelling, or tell family or friends in your life that you trust to help you.

Also I suggest trying the Paleo diet (look at the site marks daily apple) as it will require you to get rid of most carby things including all junk or packaged food which has helped me remarkably to not eat tempting things like cookies. So if I don't eat one, I won't be tempted to eat another and start binging.

I also agree with brushing your teeth regularly or carry gum around to distract your mouth from food.
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    That's a lot..
    But I feel you.. There are times that I wanted to eat everything and always hungry it feels like all the food that I'm eating is not going to my stomach instead going somewhere else :/
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    -3 packets of crisps
    -6 oreos
    -A crunch bar
    -Twix mix (small packet)
    -2 frozen yoghurts
    -A bowl of quinoa
    -A crumpet

And another thing, stop beating yourself up. The goal here is to teach yourself moderation and portion control, and to avoid those binges. A big part of that is mental. Negative self talk doesn't help, and neither does your current user name. Start being positive with yourself. You've had 8 successful days in the last two weeks. Pat yourself on the back and work to get more of those.

Edit: typo.

What he said. Your username speaks volumes, and it isn't saying that you think positively about yourself. Start with changing that one thing to something more positive. Part of stopping binging for me was getting over my vicious self-hatred. It took therapy for me to do that. I too recommend the book Overcoming Binge Eating. It was very helpful for me to read.