Cyclist v Motorist

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Yes. All bicyclists ride exactly the same way. Just like all motorcyclists ride without helmets, weave in and out of traffic and ride the shoulder, breaking the law at every turn.

I do believe I made myself clear saying that it was a stigma and that I know not everyone rides like that but the group that gets the most attention is the one being the most annoying and was clear that not everyone rode the same.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Illinois law states motorists must give three feet of clearance to cyclists. I rode a tour yesterday of 106 miles. By and large, most motorists were accommodating, but a few felt the need to drive by very close. There will always be bad apples. Cyclists are encouraged to ride on the road, not the sidewalk, ot the shoulder. All vehicles on the road here are afforded the same rights, whether you are driving a bike, tractor, motorcycle or car.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Yes. All bicyclists ride exactly the same way. Just like all motorcyclists ride without helmets, weave in and out of traffic and ride the shoulder, breaking the law at every turn.

I do believe I made myself clear saying that it was a stigma and that I know not everyone rides like that but the group that gets the most attention is the one being the most annoying and was clear that not everyone rode the same.

Anything but, but meh
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I live in Minneapolis, which is just about a bike friendly city as one can find in the US. I can get most places on bike paths, bike boulevards and in bike lanes. I'm so cautious that I walk my bike the 2 blocks from my office building to the street that has a bike lane rather than ride on a street without one downtown (despite my right to). But even with all of that, I was almost mowed down this week - in my bike lane, crossing through an intersection on a green light, car speeds and turns right in front of me, narrowly missing my front wheel.

Rrrrr.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to over take. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal.

Please can I ask any non cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:
    I for one hate bikers.
    -- 1 Why can't they use the side walks like people who walk?
    -- 2 if heaven forbid, I should bump into you by mistake, what kind of charges will be pressed against me?
    -- 3 If I bump a car, No charges and it only cost me $500 before my insurance kicks in.
    --4 We teach our kids not to play in the streets and to be in the streets in general, and yet. its o.k for bikers..

bikers should stay off the road and use the sidewalks .. thats what they are for.

This is the type of ignorance I run into while cycling. I would never ride on the side walk because it is ILLEGAL to do so. I have as much right to be on the road as a motor vehicle whether you approve or not.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Motorists aren't taught to share the road with cars, much less bikes. My bike is my car, but I am always cautious of motorists. Texting, music blaring, speeding, feeling entitled, motorcyclists on crotch rockets weaving in and out of traffic, the fact that the average American is below average in intelligence and above average in entitlement and opinion....I could go on.

There are lots of reasons for accidents. Last night a 6-Series BMW flew by me doing 70-80 on a 35 mph road. He turned a corner at a high rate of speed. Guess what? The *kitten* t-boned an innocent driver.

It doesn't take much more than one *kitten* to ruin road safety. Doesn't matter what that *kitten* is operating. People tend to think bikes are the problem because they don't ever want to admit that on the road, we're all responsible for each other and ourselves. Bicyclists are the ones who get killed if there's even a minor accident. Keep that in mind the next time anyone cuts one off in traffic or feels like they have more right to the road.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Went out for a ride today and had a car cut across the front of me. I made a gesture and he stopped, I jumped of my bike and we had a little exchange of words. My point is why do some car drivers believe that bikes should not be on the road or should be that close to the side that they ride in the drainage channel? I drive a Renault Grand Espace, a big 7 seater and make sure I am well out of the way of any cyclist I need to over take. So what if I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds, it's no big deal.

Please can I ask any non cyclist reading to please give us cyclist room on the roads, we have a much right to use the road as you do. :happy:
    I for one hate bikers.
    -- 1 Why can't they use the side walks like people who walk?
    -- 2 if heaven forbid, I should bump into you by mistake, what kind of charges will be pressed against me?
    -- 3 If I bump a car, No charges and it only cost me $500 before my insurance kicks in.
    --4 We teach our kids not to play in the streets and to be in the streets in general, and yet. its o.k for bikers..

bikers should stay off the road and use the sidewalks .. thats what they are for.

This is the type of ignorance I run into while cycling. I would never ride on the side walk because it is ILLEGAL to do so. I have as much right to be on the road as a motor vehicle whether you approve or not.

I'm glad Florida changed the law to allow bikes on sidewalks "if the road is deemed too hazardous" in 2011. In many areas, there are bike paths and I use them. In other areas, the sidewalks are double width to accommodate bikes, particularly in areas where kids are known to ride.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Motorists aren't taught to share the road with cars, much less bikes. My bike is my car, but I am always cautious of motorists. Texting, music blaring, speeding, feeling entitled, motorcyclists on crotch rockets weaving in and out of traffic, the fact that the average American is below average in intelligence and above average in entitlement and opinion....I could go on.

There are lots of reasons for accidents. Last night a 6-Series BMW flew by me doing 70-80 on a 35 mph road. He turned a corner at a high rate of speed. Guess what? The *kitten* t-boned an innocent driver.

It doesn't take much more than one *kitten* to ruin road safety. Doesn't matter what that *kitten* is operating. People tend to think bikes are the problem because they don't ever want to admit that on the road, we're all responsible for each other and ourselves. Bicyclists are the ones who get killed if there's even a minor accident. Keep that in mind the next time anyone cuts one off in traffic or feels like they have more right to the road.

This is very true. There was a guy a few weeks ago who was arrested for filming himself yelling and screaming at cyclists while trying to run them in a ditch on the side of the road. In his video he yells "bikes have no business on the road" a few times. The cyclist wasn't doing anything wrong. It comes down to ignorance and in this case stupidity. He actually posted the video to facebook...
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    I figure I'd be pretty rude to a car going 10 mph in front of me causing a traffic jam, too. It's not the vehicle, it's the "I'm entitled to cause a traffic jam" attitude.

And there is your problem. you tarnishing every cyclist with the same brush. My average speed is 18mph on my bike. I cycle 2 miles to and from work. I have "race" a friend to work him in his van me on my bike. I beat him in by about 10 seconds as it is down hill so was able to up my overall speed. Going home is different, i beat him by about 5 minutes even though it's up hill. Due to traffic I am able to go passed waiting vehicles, safely as motor cycles also do, this I find hacks of car drivers because they have to sit and wait. My answer to those people is, get a bike you lazy git. Anyway over a short distance a bike is just as, if not quicker than a car depending on your fitness levels.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I pay extra attention to cyclists because I see so many in my area who don't pay attention to cars or follow the traffic laws. Also where I live they are upgrading the infrastructure to accommodate cyclists and there are many drivers in cars that don't respect cyclists in the bike lanes.

So it goes both ways. Me, I don't want to hurt anyone on a bike when I'm in a vehicle. I've been on my bike and almost been run over while in the bike lane. I've also almost gotten in a car accident while trying to avoid a bike.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have a rather unique method of dealing with rude *kitten* in cars. I pull out my baton, open it, and smash their passenger side window. I did this two days ago to some young dbag in a truck who pulled up beside me, honked the horn, and then started edging me off the road. After I broke his window, like the true coward he is, he sped off, ignoring my pleas to get out of his truck.

I have been known to throw hard boiled eggs at cars who are really stupid. I live in SW VA where the ignorant, truck driving, redneck population is through the roof. Dbags who think cyclists have no rights to the road. These *kitten* actually TARGET cyclists on back roads, so I take steps to protect myself and my other riders. I also have been known to carry a .380..just in case.

I stay as far right as I can, obey all traffic signs, and stop at all lights. I signal at every turn. I absolutely abhor rude drivers. If you don't have the damn common sense to go around a cyclist, do everyone a favor and stay the hell off the roads.

The guy who started this thread is far more respectful of idiot drivers than I am. I don't tolerate being bullied by idiots just because they think they are entitled to the road.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    In my area (SF BAY AREA) it's cyclist friendly. There are bike lanes (at least the width of a car) in just about every city.

I'm all for cyclist's having the same right to the road. But I'll just say that trying to impose that right against a vehicle and a driver who doesn't give a hoot, you'll lose every time.
    It's not worth the injury or aggravation. Just like speeders (well over 85miles an hour on a 60 mile an hour limit) it's no gonna be worth getting in their lane to slow them down.
    Just do whatever you have to to be safe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    As frustrating as it can be to drive 10mph behind a cyclist, I'm not about to endanger their lives. I can be patient. Though, the other day I was passing a kid on a bike (the law where I live says to give four feet of space to the cyclist, which I did) and he decided to take his hands off the handelbars and be "cool" or something and swerved in front of me and almost fell off his bike. It scared the crap out of me! I had to swerve into the other lane and slam my breaks. The person behind me almost hit me. So, while I am content to share the road patiently, it's stuff like that, that pisses me off. The Amish around here ride with no hands often and I worry that they'll it a bump and fall in front of me.That and when cyclists are driving in the dead center of the lane so I CAN'T pass them. I don't expect them to be on the shoulder where there are rocks and drains and pedestrians, but at least stay off to the side enough so I'm able to make that 4 foot pass.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I have a rather unique method of dealing with rude *kitten* in cars. I pull out my baton, open it, and smash their passenger side window. I did this two days ago to some young dbag in a truck who pulled up beside me, honked the horn, and then started edging me off the road. After I broke his window, like the true coward he is, he sped off, ignoring my pleas to get out of his truck.

I have been known to throw hard boiled eggs at cars who are really stupid. I live in SW VA where the ignorant, truck driving, redneck population is through the roof. Dbags who think cyclists have no rights to the road. These *kitten* actually TARGET cyclists on back roads, so I take steps to protect myself and my other riders. I also have been known to carry a .380..just in case.

I stay as far right as I can, obey all traffic signs, and stop at all lights. I signal at every turn. I absolutely abhor rude drivers. If you don't have the damn common sense to go around a cyclist, do everyone a favor and stay the hell off the roads.

The guy who started this thread is far more respectful of idiot drivers than I am. I don't tolerate being bullied by idiots just because they think they are entitled to the road.

I know motorcyclists who take the same approach. I hate that it's necessary, tend to discourage violence as much as possible, but I know the type of area and asshats you're speaking of, and self defense can be a real issue in places like that. Just be damn careful and don't cross the line and become the aggressor. Jail isn't worth it.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I figure I'd be pretty rude to a car going 10 mph in front of me causing a traffic jam, too. It's not the vehicle, it's the "I'm entitled to cause a traffic jam" attitude.

The funny thing is, you would probably be sitting in a real traffic jam and not just needing to wait a moment to safely pass if all the bike riders decided to start taking their cars out.
  • tristan299
    Options
    The trouble with the UK is we are f ing backwards when it comes to cycle paths, I know of none in my area South Gloucestershire. It's illegal in the UK to ride on footpaths so you are left with one option if you want to ride, the road. I still feel though that every cyclist should take a road test, more than the cycling proficiency you do at school. And all motorist should have a part of the driving test dedicated to dealing with slow moving road using vehicles i.e bikes, tractors, mobility scooters etc. The respect for other road users seems to have declined since I started driving 32 years ago.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have no problem giving cyclists their space and generally show a lot of patience when I come up to cyclists on the road. However, I tend to lose that patience when I come across a group of riders who are holding up traffic and making it impossible for cars to pass for miles. If you have a car stuck behind you for more than a couple minutes the polite thing to do, in my opinion, would be to pull off the road and let them by. I think sharing the road is the responsibility of both sides.

Hi Jen

Totally agree with not holding up traffic, there was a bus behind me today on one of the country lanes I was on, pulled in at the first opportunity.

Not sure if you were aware of this but the reason that some cyclist ride side by side is it is safer for them and also quicker (supposedly) for motorist to get by. Your only overtaking 1 bikes length not 2, however you do need more room on you right in the UK (or left more or less everywhere else).

Sorry if that sound pompous or condescending, I don't mean it to just wanted you to know why it's done.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :wink:

That makes total sense now....I never thought of it that way. Thanks!:smile:
  • tristan299
    Options
    I have no problem giving cyclists their space and generally show a lot of patience when I come up to cyclists on the road. However, I tend to lose that patience when I come across a group of riders who are holding up traffic and making it impossible for cars to pass for miles. If you have a car stuck behind you for more than a couple minutes the polite thing to do, in my opinion, would be to pull off the road and let them by. I think sharing the road is the responsibility of both sides.

Hi Jen

Totally agree with not holding up traffic, there was a bus behind me today on one of the country lanes I was on, pulled in at the first opportunity.

Not sure if you were aware of this but the reason that some cyclist ride side by side is it is safer for them and also quicker (supposedly) for motorist to get by. Your only overtaking 1 bikes length not 2, however you do need more room on you right in the UK (or left more or less everywhere else).

Sorry if that sound pompous or condescending, I don't mean it to just wanted you to know why it's done.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :wink:

That makes total sense now....I never thought of it that way. Thanks!:smile:

No problem, glad I could help someone out. Have a good day:happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Someone "riding a bicycle" is not necessarily a "cyclist" (people engaged in the serious sport of cycling). Unfortunately, there are way too many of the first kind that give serious and responsible riders a bad reputation. Riding through red lights, not stopping at stop signs, going against the flow of traffic, cutting in and out of bike lanes, etc etc. Many drivers can not differentiate the difference. It just not worth the fight to me anymore.

Good points buddy, maybe there should be some sort of cycling road test where you are granted a licence at the end of the test. If you are caught going through red lights riding on pavement or any other "cycling offence you have endorsements put on you licence, to many endorsements and you get fined and have to have a retest. Just a thought.

I'd vote for that!

When I see other "cyclists" riding on sidewalks, going the wrong way on on way streets, riding through red lights etc etc I just wish there was a cop around to ticket them..(I've yelled at my fair share of sidewalk surfers, salmons & ninjas over the years)

When we're on our bikes we're operating (in almost every jurisdiction in the world) a vehicle. We're required to obey the rules of the road. I suspect if more cyclists behaved predictably and responsibly motorists would be more likely to do the same around bikes (pardon the pun)....it's a two way street.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The trouble with the UK is we are f ing backwards when it comes to cycle paths, I know of none in my area South Gloucestershire. It's illegal in the UK to ride on footpaths so you are left with one option if you want to ride, the road. I still feel though that every cyclist should take a road test, more than the cycling proficiency you do at school. And all motorist should have a part of the driving test dedicated to dealing with slow moving road using vehicles i.e bikes, tractors, mobility scooters etc. The respect for other road users seems to have declined since I started driving 32 years ago.

Yeap +1