Traveling for work - how to manage diet and workout then?

Options
This will be a challenging week for me. Tomorrow I'm going to London, England for work for four days. Will be attending a convention there.

I've done my research and found out that there is a gym at the hotel. So i should be able to get my workouts in, thankfully. Workout clothes already packed!

What worries me is the diet part. Conventions = buffets and snack stands = tons of unhealthy food. And traveling = eating out every night.

I'll be stuffing my bag with fruit, carrots and crispbread sandwiches and hope that will help me resist the buffets. But any advice and shared experiences on how to stick to my diet while traveling is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Maybe you will be lucky and find a farmer's market. I don't know if they have them there, but there are so many fresh fruits and veggies there and they are usually locally grown.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If you have buffet breakfasts at the hotel - have a big breakfast of eggs, grain bread and some fruit. This should fill you up so you don't need too much at lunch. Take away some fruit from breakfast buffet too!

Try go for the vegetarian options at the conference. Hopefully they should be less calories and more nutritious!

Before you go out to the dinners, eat an apple or some type of fruit. Then you wont be as hungry at dinner and will be more inclined to order a salad! :)

Good luck! =)
  • Hannaca1992
    Options
    I'm from England, and depending on where abouts in London you go, there are some really good healthy places to eat out. Personally, I love Yo! Sushi, which has some amazing foods, not just the classic sushi, but soups and spicy foods. It's perfect for a snack as well ^^
    The nutritional info can be found
    http://www.yosushi.com/static/downloads/4237YO!SushiNutritionalBooklet291110.pdf
    and if you look on the site you can find one near you if you like (:
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi! I do a lot of traveling myself so i can understand the issue of eating on the road!

Couple of things that have worked for me--one you already mentioned.

1. Pack some healthy snacks in your bag. My favorites are nuts, granola, and some breakfast/protein type mixes.

2. Do some research or ask the concierge what shops/supermarkets are nearby. I'll go there to buy fruit, bottled water, etc.

3. Eat before you head out to the convention. I also carry an apple or two in my briefcase.

Enjoy yourself in London. If you have some off-time in the evenings, check out Ronnie Scott's. Great music club and place to unwind. Check them out at: http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your great input, all! :-)
  • saj9291113
    Options
    Enjoy the sites of London by bike if you can. You will have to smooze with the other conventioneers so invite some to walk about the River Thames and do your work talking during that time instead in a stuffy convention center. Bet more will be on board then you think. Who wants to sit in a hotel convention hall or in a pub when you can be seeing the sights on your companys dime!
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Leon's is a really good place to get healthy, wholesome food. It is a chain, so you will see them all over. I'm guessing you will be based in central London, so don't hold out for any farmers markets. But there are loads of places dotted around here that are healthy. Worst comes to worst, remember the rule of buffets, just eat four different items and stick to them, because if too many different tastes will make you feel less full.