Need a little encouragement re. not losing and old ED issues

Options
Hi there! :-)

I'm so delighted to be here in this community. You guys are awesome.

Anyway, I've been logging for almost a week now, trying haphazardly to lose weight before that. I know I haven't been measuring my food super carefully due to events and eating as guests a fair bit this past week, but I've still been trying to do portion control and a bit of extra exercise. I know it's early days, but I weighed myself today and I haven't even lost a half pound this past week. I struggled with EDs in the past and still have some lingering ED thought patterns so weighing myself today after a week of logging and exercising and seeing absolutely no change is a little hard.

I know it's not all about weight - it's about being healthy, and I'm happy to be developing some new habits. I'm just trying to reformat my brain to 'normal' mode instead of 'obsession about weight' mode (while at the same time knowing I have a few stubborn pounds that jumped on board during some stressful binges this past semester).

Any encouragement/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks!
Sheila

Replies

• katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you are only at the beginning of a good journey, keep doing the right thing by yourself and your body :smile:

Remember to treat yourself (with non-food items!) and enjoy the additional energy that will come from your healthier lifestyle, then the lbs will find their own way off!

Keep positive messages around you and seek support whenever and wherever you need it xxx
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It will be slow going because you don't have much to lose.
    You should only be losing at 1/2 pound a week.
    Weigh your solids and measure liquids for better accuracy.
    Patience!!!!!
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to reset your brain. Going from being obsessed about food, calories, and weight to a mindset of healthy isn't the easiest thing in the world. Those darn thoughts keep creeping back in and have a way of totally messing with our heads! But it is great that you recognize it because that is the only way to get a handle on it. Every time those thoughts fill your head, you are going to have to hang on to all of the positive things you have been doing. Success with this is NOT just about a lower number on a scale. It is about feeling better. I wish you luck. I'm sure you can do this.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with disordered thinking. It's not quite so severe as an OCD, but I've generally been plowing through the thoughts logically. I've been at this for about 4 months, now, and the thought patterns still pop in and out. As difficult as it may sound, the thing that helped me the most is refraining from weighing myself until I was about a month into the process. I focused only on my eating patterns and the thoughts going through my head as I ate. I learned a whole lot about portion control, satiety, and emotional eating when I did only that. Naturally, when I addressed the larger issue surrounding my thinking, a few pounds followed. You're free to message me if you want someone to talk to!
  • localised
    localised Posts: 25
    Options
    Is your profile picture recent? You look really healthy and fit in it!

i'm just going to echo what above users said -- you really don't have much to lose, so don't worry about seeing immediate results. eat healthy but allow yourself treats, and get in some regular exercise. it's probably best if you eat at home more often so you know exactly what and how much you're eating, but don't deny yourself some meals out as well. best of luck : )