Not losing weight. what workouts should I be doing

Options
Hi! I'm about 5'2, 125 lbs. My goal is 115 by the end of August. Is this realistic? I work out about 4 (sometimes 5) times a week do about 45min-1hr. What I do varies if I'm taking a class (either cycling, pump and sculpt, step, etc) or jogging for about 20-30 and then doing some ab exercises. My calorie intake is about 1200, give or take, but it's generally healthy besides during exams when I snack too much on nuts + dried fruit....BUT I don't seem to be losing any weight....I feel like I'm not doing the right workouts. Too much cardio? Should I focus on weights? I don't do this as much unless it's a class.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what I should be doing instead? I may have lost inches (I don't notice it but my roommate thinks so), but not really enough for it to be noticeable. ANYWAY, I would really love input on how to lose more inches.

My BMI is 23.5, and just calculated my BMR at 1437 and TDEE at 2038. To be honest, not sure exactly what to do with these numbers.

Any tips or help is much needed!!!

Replies

• CoreyGDS
    CoreyGDS Posts: 10
    Options
    BMR is what your body need to survive as if you in a coma in bed sorta thing. SO doing nothing you need more than your intaking being active. Eat more.....more active the more you can eat, the less, the less you can eat. so Protein is something 1g per lb for example (Protein 1g = 4calories, Carbs 1g = 4calories, Fat 1g = 9calories) You can find this out at Bodybuilding.com (fitness calculators) they are only ball park figures but a place to start. You need (Proteins/Carbs/Fats) and may need to adjust carbs..

So on BB.com you can find out Proteins required etc, water intake and so on.....they are a place to start and not exact figures...want to get the metabolism up, lifting weights just helps it. Building muscle assists in fat lose, HIIT is suppose to keep the body in a fat burning mode longer into the day. Nutrition is a big part, and if anything it lies with in it....

Some one could be eating very well but take a taste of this and that can put the brakes on the fat loss process. Theres a trainer at my gym she eats like 3000+ calories a day, fit, low fat %. Don't use the scale, it just promotes negative thoughts, use measurements/cloths. There a lot of people that wear smaller cloths and weigh more than they did at the start..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm a place to start,

to some up what I did and came from, I was 800, then 436+lbs joined a gym, today 260lbs. When I started at the gym, I did my 5-6 days and maybe 25 min cardio in a day, I was told at first to make sure I eat my veggies and meats....1st yr I dropped 100lbs, 2nd yr much the same..... I actually never logged anything..... My Macros are more laid out (for what I need) now...it can be done, its a process of a bunch of moments of failures and success that going to in the journey, and being a lifestyle....many years a head to perfect it. So don't sweat it.......consistency is the key.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    At your weight I would set a weight loss target to .5 lbs a week personally, so ten lbs lost in about 11-12 weeks seems a little fast to me, though not completely unhealthy. Since you are so small, your exercise simply won't burn as many calories so you would have to work a lot harder ( probably by consuming fewer calories) to get your deficit. Being so small you should almost concentrate on a nice lifting regimen to shape your body and eating enough protein to potentially build some muscle , rather than weight loss.

Your TDEE number, it takes eating 3500 calories less than your body needs to burn one pound. So if you want to lose a pound a week, you take 3500, divide by 7, and subtract 500 calories from your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) number. If you want to lose 2 lbs subtract 1000. 1/2 lb, subtract 250. This will be your daily allowance for eating food. You will no longer eat back exercise calories, as exercise is already computed in order to give you the TDEE number. Here's the thing. If you're not losing weight, after, say, four weeks, you would the need to reduce by around 100 cals per day and repeat. If you're losing too fast for your taste or if you're hangry, you can increase. This is why IMO just figuring out the start till you're progressing nicely could take a couple months. Hence why I wonder about the timeline sometimes

I take BodyPump too by the way. Love it! When people say lifting heavy on this site, though, hey generally mean for example squats you would gradually go to the 100+ lb range. I'll try to find you a link...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    This is stickied in the Fitness and Exercise forum:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

You could also read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

It's about a nice stomach but I bet will help with overall body shape if that's what you're interested in
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Geez. I answer the is my goal realistic and what should I do with TDEE but not the subject line.

So plugging in your numbers into MFP, you would need to eat 1290 cals (plus exercise) to lose 1/2 lb per week. 1200 is the minimum MFP will go to. That should get you up to around .7 lbs per week lost. If you've been eating 1200 calories per day for more than around 6-8 weeks and not losing anything, you may be eating more than you think. Do you have and use a food scale? Know that you have less wiggle room than somebody starting at 300 lbs so you would need to be very accurate if weight loss is your goal

More links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide