Any hula hoopers on this site?

Options
I love hula hooping. I'm at the intermediate level and taking a class to learn new tricks. So far it's going great.

Anyone else do it?

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy - more like a Hula-Dropper at the moment but getting better!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy - more like a Hula-Dropper at the moment but getting better!
    LOL just keep at it, you'll get it
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Thank you. how do you keep it spinning above your hips? Is this where it is easier for females than males do you think?
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can do basic hooping but I got a DVD for beginners to learn more tricks. I can do it around my waist, legs, and do "bombs" if you know what that is lol.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Its all in the way you move your knees really. it keeps the momentum going. Hard to explain it in writing.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    One foot in front of the other and forward-back movement? Or have I got it wrong? I managed to keep it up for about 20 seconds last time, which is progress for me!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate calorie burn whilst hula hooping? HRM? Or??
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop pretty much every day, but I don't do any routines or classes or anything fancy, just a couple times throughout the day while watching TV. This method doesn't burn a ton compared to other exercise, but it's an easy way to burn calories that I wouldn't be if I stayed sitting on the couch watching TV.
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    Do you have a weighted hula hoop or just one of the ones made for kids? I was never able to keep one up either, but now I have a weighted hoop that's also wider than a kid's hoop. The weight and larger diameter make it easier to keep up, but you work harder because the hoop is weighted.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Do you have a weighted hula hoop or just one of the ones made for kids? I was never able to keep one up either, but now I have a weighted hoop that's also wider than a kid's hoop. The weight and larger diameter make it easier to keep up, but you work harder because the hoop is weighted.

I have an adult non-weighted sized one. I've never tried weighted. I guess I 'll look one up and see if it is different.

edit (just to add): it's amazing how I'm not very good at it but I'm hooked already!
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop pretty much every day, but I don't do any routines or classes or anything fancy, just a couple times throughout the day while watching TV. This method doesn't burn a ton compared to other exercise, but it's an easy way to burn calories that I wouldn't be if I stayed sitting on the couch watching TV.

Exactly what I am doing! I usually hula hoop 10-20 min a day through commercial breaks or before I get ready for work. I don't really log it but I enjoy it. I might give an actual video a shot shot. Did anyone get major bruises when they started?
  • missylectro
    Options
    Thank you. how do you keep it spinning above your hips? Is this where it is easier for females than males do you think?
    It's all about momentum. One foot in front of the other helps. You need to spin it faster to bring it up then maintain the speed.
  • pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted hoop - and the first few days I had killer bruises! I hoop 2/3 times per week - usually 5 mins clockwise and 5 mins anti clockwise - cant do anything fancy though and whilst I enjoy it I wonder whether it is helping to burn cals/tone?!
  • yogicarl
    Options
    - anti-clockwise? O my goodness! I can't get my head around clockwise yet. You mean there's a whole another way round?

- thanks Missylectro for the tips - plenty of homework there.
  • missylectro
    Options
    How do you calculate calorie burn whilst hula hooping? HRM? Or??
    I think it's the equivalent to dancing
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use weighted and I was a little sore at first, but that went away after a few days. I log it under Wii Fit Super Hula Hoop. I am one of those people that does not use a HRM and just goes by what MFP says. I know it can overestimate but whatever workout I do, I always subtract time for warmup and cooldown and it seems to work for me. I lost weight and am now maintaining with not much in the way of fluctuations, just small ones here and there.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yes I love hula hooping. I've been making my own hoops.

I wear my HRM while hooping. I can burn quite a bit in a pretty short amount of time.
  • missylectro
    Options

I wear my HRM while hooping. I can burn quite a bit in a pretty short amount of time.
    How much?
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

How much?

With my weighted hoop I burn about 40 calories in 5 minutes.
  • pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    - anti-clockwise? O my goodness! I can't get my head around clockwise yet. You mean there's a whole another way round?

- thanks Missylectro for the tips - plenty of homework there.

Lol! I think you have to go both ways to make sure you're toning evenly?! I found anti clockwise much easier than clockwise - no idea why!