Male 60 yrs old 60lbs to lose in 6mos is it doable ?

Options
I am just getting going on my plan, started 2 weeks ago and have lost 9 lbs so far. I know this is pretty much on the edge of extreme weight loss @ 2.3lbs per week but I think it is doable. I do not want to do anything that is crazy just count calories and exercise at least 3~4 times a week at the Gym doing general Cardio and some resistance weight training Plus evening brisk walks with the dog.
Am I dreaming or is it doable.
Dave

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Possible? Maybe.

But the more important question is, why the arbitrary deadline? Why not take an approach that is more measured and reasonable ?

Also, the weight loss you experience your first two weeks simply will not continue in the later weeks. "Water" weight and glycogen stores are are one-time loss...and on the other side, will be regained when you are back at maintenance. (No worries though, this isn't a "bad" thing...just something that can set unrealistic expectations and lead you to make bad conclusions.)
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sounds too aggressive of a goal to me
  • MyouTakaraTriesAgain
    Options
    Use the search function. This has been asked before. And the answer to this question is always no.

Losing weight is not a quick fix. It won't happen fast, if it's happening in a way that's healthy.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You'll lose faster the bigger you are, but it won't keep going like that. It'll slow down, the more you lose.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There's just too many sixes there. I'd be careful if I were you! :noway:
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Ha!! I swear I was going to type that but decided against it lol
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Ha!! I swear I was going to type that but decided against it lol

Thankfully I'm not constrained by the little voice that stops one from saying foolish things. :wink:
  • davefred99
    davefred99 Posts: 11
    Options
    Possible? Maybe.

But the more important question is, why the arbitrary deadline? Why not take an approach that is more measured and reasonable ?

Also, the weight loss you experience your first two weeks simply will not continue in the later weeks. "Water" weight and glycogen stores are are one-time loss...and on the other side, will be regained when you are back at maintenance. (No worries though, this isn't a "bad" thing...just something that can set unrealistic expectations and lead you to make bad conclusions.)
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I lost 43 lbs in a little over 3 months. I was extremely strict on food, basically same meals every day and running 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week. So I guess its probably doable, depending on how serious you are.
  • catherinesadlak
    Options
    Yes, it i. Have you tried Ideal Protein? It works and you can lose that much weight and be healthy!:smile::smile:
  • davefred99
    Options
    I have to have a goal that is attainable yet sufficiently difficult to keep focused. I also Know that as I loose more it will become more difficult to maintain a high continuous and sustained weekly weight loss. i think the first 30 lbs will happen more quickly than the next 20 lbs. If i am unable to meet my original goals I will reevaluate them and adjust. the way I look at it is that I would rather meet 80% of my aggressive goal then 100% of a lower goal of say 1lb per week. maybe its just me but if I set low expectations in the beginning that is all I will do. If I set higher expectations and get close I will fell much better about myself.
    So for now I am sticking with my plan and will adjust if necessary.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Well, that's 10 lbs a month, only a little over the recommended maximum of 2 lbs a week. But unfortunately, the older you get the harder it is to lose weight. It's probably doable, but don't get too discouraged if you only lose 45-50 lbs. Still a good loss.
  • davefred99
    Options
    I am using Body fortress Whey Protean shakes or smoothies as My breakfast most days.
  • k1431
    k1431 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be done. I believe in you Dave!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, it i. Have you tried Ideal Protein? It works and you can lose that much weight and be healthy!:smile::smile:

Do you sell it!? Is it delicious!? I am looking for something to step up my game!!!!