apple cider vinegar...bad for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Braggs apple cider vinegar, I used to take a spoonful in a glass with a little water, tasted awful, BUT it got rid of my acid reflux. Wish I had known about it before I took all those useless acid reflux meds....prescription and otc.

This!!!! I had female issues , but it worked ....
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I take it in capsule form once or twice a day before I eat. It is supposed to help filter out toxins in the body and can help with fat absorption. Not sure if it is true but I have noticed my acne has disappeared since I've been using it.
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Remember, people, books are not peer-reviewed. Pretty much anyone can write one. And just because it's one "doctor" doesn't mean it's gospel.

ACV has shown some interesting antiglycemic effects and potentially some anti-triglyceride effects, but also raised cholesterol in rats and can definitely wear down the enamel on your teeth if overdone.

Like anything, it's got some potentially beneficial aspects but can CERTAINLY be overdone and is not the miracle-cure-all it's touted to be. There's even a case report of a topical burn from it that required medical treatment.

I have had clients try to use it to cure all manner of veterinary ailments (unsuccessfully) - some even put it in their dogs' ears to try to cure yeast infections. All they did was make the dog extremely painful by pouring acid onto an inflamed surface and set up a bacterial infection on top of it all!
  • motojuju
    Options
    HMMM.... in reference to the acid comment, it's my understanding that the pH of apple cider vinegar is actually higher than stomach acid (meaning it is more alkaline.) SO, if you were to mix a strong acid (stomach acid pH avg. of 3) with a weaker acid (apple cider vinegar pH average from 4 - 5), I would think the weak acid would have a dilutional effect on the concentration of the strong acid, thus making it into a weaker acid (still not ALKALINE, but weaker than it originally was.) This to me would explain the benefit to ulcers. Tell me if I am off.

Given the acidity of it, I think it is better to dilute it as well. That's why people with bulemia have destroyed teeth enamel. Whoever mentioned the straw comment was spot on. That's what we do in the hospital when giving medications that are harmful to teeth.
  • rustmary714
    rustmary714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink the braggs with the mother in it, I try to do it everyday with about 2-3 ounces of orange juice and two tsp's ofthe vinegar, I think i feel better have more energy I usually remember about 3-4 days a week, if i skip longer I can tell a difference in my energy levels, a friend of mine did this most of his life and was healthy up to the day he died at 94..
  • monikabenoit
    monikabenoit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I always though of ACV as wonderful, and have heard only of the many health benefits, including stabilizing blood sugar levels and increasing feelings of satiety. I take a tablespoon straight up and then chase with plain water before each meal if I can remember or afterwards. I have been forgetting lately, time to start up again! Only get the unpasteurized kind that is cloudy (Braggs is one of the them of course). The different statements of caution that people have posted are very interesting and do pose certain questions but considering what kind of horrors are in the typical American diet I cannot believe a bit of ACV could really be too detrimental overall.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I tried to take a shot of it. I wasn't sure I had an esophagus left after :( Then had severe heartburn. How do people do it?!
  • Shelle58704
    Shelle58704 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's bad or not, but I love it as well. I mix one tablespoon of ACV, slice up one lemon, mince some mint leaves, add it all in a pitcher and top up to one liter. I try to do that at night before going to bed to let it steep all night. When I want a drink, I stir, then mix it half and half with carbonated mineral water, Gerolsteiner.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know a few trainers that swear by it BUT it cant be the ultra filtered stuff. Basically its the organic 100% pure ones that work.
  • darhp758
    darhp758 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do not drink the ACV straight, that will take the enamel off of your teeth. Mix it with water or juice whichever you prefer. I usually mix 1 tablespoon with about 12 ounces of water. I try to drink it every day.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Do not drink the ACV straight, that will take the enamel off of your teeth. Mix it with water or juice whichever you prefer. I usually mix 1 tablespoon with about 12 ounces of water. I try to drink it every day.

You could drink it with a straw if you are worried about your teeth.

I think some people drink it to bring them back from the dead!
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Acid turns into base inside the body? Nonsense.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it spoils it when it gets to the vinegar stage
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it did nothing for the weight loss and gave me an ulcer, it's very hard on your stomach, be careful!

I highly doubt that the ACV gave you an ulcer when Dr's actually prescribe the raw, organic ACV for ulcer treatment and for occasional heart burn too.

The stomach contains HCL (hydro-chloric acid) so some acid from Apple Cider vinegar isn't going to cause an ulcer.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    OP - I drink a shot of ACV about 30 minutes before each meal. I give it to my dogs also and they love it in their water.

It has aided tremendously in controlling my blood sugars. I also use it when I get occasional heart burn or stomach upset and it settles it right down.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are using the apple cider vinegar from the grocery store you are not getting all the nutrients and pectin from the apples. If you are using the one from a health food store then you are getting the digestive support from the pectin etc. You should be aware of the acid levels for,the reasons you state, tooth enamel, ulcers etc.

Honey can also be good for you but if you are buying the store stuff...not as much nutritional support.
  • Juliezaccount
    Options
    It won't hurt you, except maybe increase your risk for heartburn. It's not any more harmful to your teeth and bones than most sodas.

Scientific studies have NOT shown that cider vinegar is beneficial. However, studies have shown that pickle juice (which contains vinegar) can relieve exercise-induced muscle cramps. Other studies suggest that people who have high intestinal levels of bacteria found in fermented foods such as yoghurt, pickles, and sauerkraut tend to have lower percentages of body fat.