Push ups

Options
I have been watching youtube videos trying to get the correct form to even do one push up. I just can't even do one. I feel like I just haven't got the strength. Any advise please? Feel silly for asking this.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Start with your arms on a table, counter or other surface that can take your weight. If these are too easy or when they become too easy, move to push ups on the floor with your knees on the floor. When these become easier to do (i.e. you can do at least 10-20 in a row) then try regular push ups.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Can you do them on your knees? if so just do it that way...until you can do a regular push up.

If you can't do them on your knees then start against the wall..then progress to your knees then non modified.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't feel silly. I had to start against the wall, now I'm on knee ones. We all have to start somewhere.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses :) yeah I can't even do them on my knees. I'll try against a table first then. Thanks :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Look into the Convict Conditioning 'program' it starts you out with wall pushups with the aim to get to 1-armed pushups (amongst other things)
  • AuntieIly
    AuntieIly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 Day Shred last week and there are two circuits of push ups....I started out using the wall as I have no upper body strength. After a couple of days, I progressed to 'girly' push-ups, and can now do both circuits that way. It doesn't take long to build the strength up. Next stop: knees off the floor! :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    echoing what was said

counter/stairs/desk

I would stay away from modified knee pushups- it has a low success rate for transferring up to full push ups.

Working 'negatives' (altought I'm not sure if it's technically a true negative- that's just the best way for me in my single cup coffee state to describe it) is going to get you where you want a lot faster and more successfully than knee push ups.

lower yourself down extremely slowly- and don't worry about the get up aspect- if you can do this on the floor GREAT- if not work counter push ups- and then also work the negatives- so lowering yourself down as far as you can - as slowly as you can without flopping or dropping down to floor/counter whatever is "bottom". Don't worry about pushing back up- just make the down extremely slow- and lower ALL the way down- it's harder than you think LOL And it's great for developing the push up.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Thank you all. Yeah I think I'll try the table first. Then will move to full push up and try lowering myself to the ground. I'll practice daily.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Thank you all. Yeah I think I'll try the table first. Then will move to full push up and try lowering myself to the ground. I'll practice daily.

don't forget a chair- nice mid way point between the counter and the ground- just make sure your weight is over it so you aren't shoving it away from you- or just brace it against the wall- but learning to keep your shoulders over your wrists so you aren't pushing away is moar better.

good luck :)
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    echoing what was said

counter/stairs/desk

I would stay away from modified knee pushups- it has a low success rate for transferring up to full push ups.

Working 'negatives' (altought I'm not sure if it's technically a true negative- that's just the best way for me in my single cup coffee state to describe it) is going to get you where you want a lot faster and more successfully than knee push ups.

lower yourself down extremely slowly- and don't worry about the get up aspect- if you can do this on the floor GREAT- if not work counter push ups- and then also work the negatives- so lowering yourself down as far as you can - as slowly as you can without flopping or dropping down to floor/counter whatever is "bottom". Don't worry about pushing back up- just make the down extremely slow- and lower ALL the way down- it's harder than you think LOL And it's great for developing the push up.
    agree most women dont use correct form on knees its painful to watch someone doing it wrong knowing there getting none of the awesome effects of correct form. I also find that the wider i plant my feet and hands the more i can do. The elbows intight ones that work triceps are hard for me but there are many other tricep exercises ill do instead. Do them everyday, they will get easier. I always do 2 sets of 15 for a warmup on upper bodyday.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Thank you both :) I'll get working lol.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Once you get to the floor, you might find it easier if you do your pushups holding small 5-8 lbs dumb bells in each hand, lifting up on those rather than a flat hand with a bent wrist. This makes pushups a lot more pleasant for me, as the strain on my wrists is removed. When I initially learned to do this, I was told it was "to get full extension of the chest muscles" but that isn't what it feels like. I don't even know if that is accurate. All I know is it is easier on my wrists. :)
  • katlynrose85
    Options
    I actually really appreciated all these comments, I suck at pushups too. I can do like 8 girly ones, but I never feel like Im doing it right.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Ah ok I'll try that. Thanks :)
  • tx_mom72
    tx_mom72 Posts: 96
    Options
    So glad you asked this questions! I've had a hell of a time trying to do them myself! :smile:
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Ha ha yeah I ask anything lol.

Just done some against the wall and my arms were shaking a bit ha ha. How sad is that lol. I'll keep practising those then I'll move on to a table too to perhaps increase intensity. Then I won't try the knee ones I'll just move on to the full and try lowering myself to the floor first.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Great post! I can do full leg push-ups, but I have a problem getting down far enough. I just don't have the strength to go to a parallel position with my upper arms. I might try the dumbbell approach and see if that helps.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I actually really appreciated all these comments, I suck at pushups too. I can do like 8 girly ones, but I never feel like Im doing it right.
    Just some clarification. They are not girly push ups... They are modified push ups! :-)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Don't feel silly. I had to start against the wall, now I'm on knee ones. We all have to start somewhere.

^^This. We all gotta start somewhere. Perfect your form (and go easy on yourself) doing them on the wall. When that gets easy, move to inclines (hands on something sturdy like a coffee table, bench, cedar chest), then progress to kneelings. Before you know it, you'll get your first "real" pushup. No shame in going slow, but push yourself to get to that goal. You can DO it!

It's taken me a full month of daily (mixed exercises including 3x/wk lifting) to complete ONE perfect, deep full push up. But I DID it! Next goal--5 push ups!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Just some clarification. They are not girly push ups... They are modified push ups! :-)

That's right--NOT girly at all. Many men are in the same boat. Call them modified or "kneeling" push ups. They are not gendered ;)