Strength training and messed up periods..?

Options
Hi everyone!
I know when a women's body fat % drops down low she could lose her period, but mine has been late 3 times now and I don't think I'm close to low enough bf% for that to be the problem. I usually have a 21day menstrual cycle, the last three times it was around 42 days. On top of that, it was unusually light and only lasted 2days last time rather than the usual 5-6.
I'm 18 years old, 163cm (5'4) and around 51kg (113lbs). I've been strength training religiously every other day for about months now. I guess you could say I've had a stressful few months but usually when that happens my period comes early..
Anyways, I was wondering what this could be due to.. Can strength training cause it even if my bf% isn't necesarily that low..? Is it the low carb diet I've started these last few months? Maybe it is just stress..?
Any advice (or reassurance :p) is appreciated!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No strength training in itself will not cause your periods to go away...unless you are over training. Define strength training...esp since you do it everyday...are you lifting heavy weights doing compound movements everyday???? Even if it's lighter weights etc you need to give your body a decent rest day. You are stressing your body a bit and at your weight I suspect your bf% is lower than you think...

However at your height and weight you are getting pretty low...I do hope you aren't trying to lose anymore...
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough dietary fat? Obviously I'm not a female, but my wife experienced similar problems when she was underweight. Make sure your macros are in order and calorie intake is adequate.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Not every day, every other day! Probably around 30mins of intense training, full body workout with free weights, no machines. Compound exercises (squats, dumbell rows etc..).
    I am planning on losing more fat and building muscle! Actually, since I've started strength training I've GAINED 2kgs (~5lbs) and DROPPED 2 pants sizes!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not every day, every other day! Probably around 30mins of intense training, full body workout with free weights, no machines. Compound exercises (squats, dumbell rows etc..).
    I am planning on losing more fat and building muscle! Actually, since I've started strength training I've GAINED 2kgs (~5lbs) and DROPPED 2 pants sizes!

Sorry Missed the "every other"...morning blah.

As long as you aren't planning on losing more weight that is great...as you are quite slim now.

The late periods I would chalk up to "stress" but if you are worried talk to your doctor...or take a home pregnancy test...

My grams were late and light for 6 months...she was pregnant with twins....:noway:
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Sorry Missed the "every other"...morning blah.

As long as you aren't planning on losing more weight that is great...as you are quite slim now.

The late periods I would chalk up to "stress" but if you are worried talk to your doctor...or take a home pregnancy test...

My grams were late and light for 6 months...she was pregnant with twins....:noway:

Haha no problem, mornings are tough ;p

I really hope it's just stress, I'll see how it goes these next few months now that I'm not as stressed!

It's HIGHLY unlikely that I'm pregnant, but you never know! Your Grans story makes me wonder =S haha