Help, need ideas to stay motivated

Options
I have always struggled with losing weight, the only time I was a success was when my first husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore, (*yes after the birth of our 3 young children at the time) I was so stressed, I couldn't really eat for 6 months and dropped 80 lbs..... not healthy.
I have over done exercise at times, yes fuller figure but could hike 5 miles, bike 10 miles, and lift weights like a man (*with a trainer). HOWEVER I would also eat like a man....... and I tried this for 6 months stints. I would also try eating and monitoring every morsel that went into my mouth, however then I would not be committed to exercising........
I need to stay motivated, consistent, and realistic.
any suggests or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Honestly, motivation comes from within. You have to find YOUR reason for getting healthy.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Add people who are willing to give you good advice and encouragement. Its so much easier sharing your small goals everyday or every week. Its much easier to lose weight and exercise when your fitness pals are doing it to :)
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Develop focus of successful weight loss by installing habits.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Honestly, motivation comes from within. You have to find YOUR reason for getting healthy.

100% this. Additionally, you don't have to kill it at the gym AND keep your calories in check - exercise, weight lifting, etc is for fitness, while calorie deficit is for weight loss. You can lose weight without doing a single lick of exercise, so if your goal is to lose weigh but you find that you can only keep up with one or the other (gym or calorie tracking), then in order to meet your goal just focus on the calories. At some point when the calorie tracking becomes second nature, you will probably want to add the gym work back in but it is by no means necessary for strictly weight loss.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You have to want it so much that you're willing to get up every day and do what you have to do. Every day. No excuses.

You have to have a plan that is sustainable. When all is said and done - to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

You have to put the focus on being healthy. Every decision (from what you eat to how to train) has to be based on getting healthy.

And the most important thing - Have patience and never quit!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    From my experience, motivation follows dedication. You have to follow the plan long enough to see results come, and that will help you stay on track. Also, having a rock solid support group is so incredibly helpful. I help to run support groups through Facebook. We have lots of people in there that are improving themselves and helping everyone else to stay accountable. We teach about proper nutrition and how to exercise. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if that is something that you're looking for.

Allan
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

+1

Exactly!

You have to want it bad enough.
  • Sandbly510
    Options
    Thank you for the honest responses, I appreciate every comment. And maybe it is time to take responsibility on whatever the outcome is. only I am responsible for where I am today, the good and the difficult.