need support!

Options
hi. I have been struggling with my weight for a long time. I would finally like to get it under control. I was doing good..maybe had 50 lbs to lose, looked the best I ever had, ive always been on the bigger side. my mom got sick. I got depressed. I let myself go, stopped looking in the mirror..put myself on autopilot. she passed away. i stayed on autopilot for awhile. can't stay there forever. turned off autopilot, ready to take control again. now have 50 lbs to lose until I get to the 50 I mentioned before.

I feel like I have no support system in my life. I know that means I should question and reevaluate relationships in my life, but thought maybe if I reached out and found other people with similar goals to mine, maybe I would hold myself more accountable. maybe I could get there if I had people saying good job keep It up, rather than ah who cares here have a beer..you look good to me.

I've found you cant really be successful if you hide it either. ive tried counting calories and exercising without telling anybody..in case I failed so no one can throw it in my face. i'm tired of struggling with this. want to be healthier once and for all! thanks for listening.

Replies

• frogwild
    frogwild Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand your feeling of frustration, having support, not only when we succeed, but when we struggle and yes, sometimes fails is very important. Using forums like this can be helpful, I've just joined, but I've been part of others for other reasons for years.

Can I suggest a face to face support group such as OA or FAA? They don't cost anything and even though I don't belong to either but I have a number of friends who belong to OA and they find it very helpful. I also am a member of that type of fellowship to deal with another issue and it has been instrumental in my success against that problem.

Give it a try.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    hi. I have been struggling with my weight for a long time. I would finally like to get it under control. I was doing good..maybe had 50 lbs to lose, looked the best I ever had, ive always been on the bigger side. my mom got sick. I got depressed. I let myself go, stopped looking in the mirror..put myself on autopilot. she passed away. i stayed on autopilot for awhile. can't stay there forever. turned off autopilot, ready to take control again. now have 50 lbs to lose until I get to the 50 I mentioned before.

I feel like I have no support system in my life. I know that means I should question and reevaluate relationships in my life, but thought maybe if I reached out and found other people with similar goals to mine, maybe I would hold myself more accountable. maybe I could get there if I had people saying good job keep It up, rather than ah who cares here have a beer..you look good to me.

I've found you cant really be successful if you hide it either. ive tried counting calories and exercising without telling anybody..in case I failed so no one can throw it in my face. i'm tired of struggling with this. want to be healthier once and for all! thanks for listening.

Guess what? You added me as a friend and guess what... you got a friend in me, anytime you need support, a chat, a giddy-up, a helping hand, I am but just a message away. You CAN do this, you got it! And we have got you, lean on us that's what this journey is all about.

If support is what you need, then that's what you get with me. I am on a huge journey of my own and we may do things differently but we will find what works for us both, celebrate our successes together and gripe about the scales a bit together.

But did you see the common words??? You.... me.... together :D
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your loss and I'm sorry that you feel you have no 'real-life' system of support. As has been said above really, MFP is a fantastic source of support for changing your lifestyle; reach out on here and someone somewhere will have your back.

ps. Hoping your username is a Stone Roses reference?