No beans! Help :-)

Options
jodieoh
jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
Hi all,

I'm a vegetarian, and my diet include a whole lot of pulses - beans, lentils, the usual. My other half has developed a real digestive problem with this stuff though - I mean it really hurts him to eat it. Does anyone have any ideas for bulking up meals and protein without using pulses?

Thanks!

Joanna

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with beans, either. It helps them when I make a soup and puree them. Like Lentils Cream of Soup, or Beans cream of soup
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have three options:

1) make separate meals. I mention this first because it's the least helpful, just to get it out of the way. It can be done, obviously, but it can also be a major pain in the butt.

2) Meat substitutes: tofu, tempeh, seitan, quorn - you may need to experiment a little, since he might not do well with some of them. There's also nuts and cheeses, but that may not necessarily be an easier on his stomach.

3) Think about re-incorporating meat. People go vegetarian for all sorts of reasons, but ultimately, it's usually a choice. If he legitimately cannot eat the primary source of non-animal protein, then maybe vegetarianism isn't really for him.

However, has he seen a doctor about this? There are some products that make it easier to digest beans, or it may be a problem that a doctor needs to deal with.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eggs/Egg whites scrambled with veggies is our go to meal so you could try that.

Tofu with veggies and quinoa - I make a HUGE batch of this (like 3-4 tofu blocks) cut up onions, green peppers, with soy sauce mixed in, stir in a cup of quinoa. Hubs actually likes it and it lasts most of the week.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf posted this awesome thread of protein sources. They are grouped by meat/fish eaters, vegetarian, & vegan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • jodieoh
    jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late response, I've been on vacation (gaining 3 kg in 5 days, yay me)!!

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Jo
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and quinoa.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a vegetarian, and my diet include a whole lot of pulses - beans, lentils, the usual. My other half has developed a real digestive problem with this stuff though - I mean it really hurts him to eat it. Does anyone have any ideas for bulking up meals and protein without using pulses?

Thanks!

Joanna
    Has he been to the Doctor? These issues may have a cause that is easily treatable