Question for fellow ladies on sports bras

Options
I am having a terrible time with sports bras (lost the fight with gravity 25 years ago). It is either stick to low/no impact exercise where I can get away with a regular bra paired with a compression top (and deal with the perspiration and discomfort from exercising in an ever day bra) or compress myself to the point it is almost interfering with my breathing (and I can't wait to get the bra off so I cut my workout short). Short of getting reduction surgery, what sports bras have you tried and what low/no impact exercising do you find that really helps to burn calories?

Replies

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    For cardio I walk on a (very) inclined treadmill.
  • aswarty
    aswarty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to think I could never find a sports bra that would actually fit me and do the job. Earlier this year I purchased the Panache Underwired Sports Bra and have been amazed at how well it's worked. I've been able to get halfway through the C25K program with no discomfort at all and high impact workouts don't even phase me. I would definitely look into that one - I think I paid about $70 for it, but I would do it 10 times over.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can't answer for the low-impact part, but I second the Panache Underwired. Also, the VS sports bras are good. They're really padded which is annoying but as a result NOTHING moves.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As a larger chested woman I feel your pain! I like to run, but I end up buying expensive sports bras. They aren't compression bra's, but more just hold you in place. Nothing is worse than a cheap sports bra! I know alot of people who like the web page tital 9 sports (they do have some great ones!), but I like to go to Academy and try them on instead. things to look for are ones that have cup sizes, and make sure that the bra you get matches what you want to do. I just go for high impact since I run.
  • gonzohazel
    gonzohazel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort has awesome sports bras. They are extremely supportive for high impact
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Champion. Sold at Target. I have a decent sized chest and this bra has helped.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about the Moving Comfort ones. I am a 32DD and have had success with the Champion Show Off bra for kickboxing.
  • Bourgie
    Bourgie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Enell sports bra and it is awesome with high impact workouts (kickboxing, running). They also have some lighter versions which I have not tried.
  • runfastmom
    runfastmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use Moving Comfort's Fiona Bra. I run almost everyday and this bra never fails. I own 5 of the Moving comfort bra. I still have not found a bra as good as this one. Try it on then jump up and down, seriously. Champion bras I found are terrible. Any bra you have to put over your head is awful. I have read that Enell makes a great bra as well.
  • wistera
    wistera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't own one (don't have a particularly large chest and can get by with champion and moving comfort bras), but I've heard amazing things about the Panache sports bras.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have big boobs (in fact, I posted a topic of my own just like this). I wound up getting a medium support bra from Champion and it actually works REALLY well. It wasn't even expensive, so I was surprised. I got it as a temporary solution before I could get a "good" one, but yeah it's my permanent one now.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use the Enell bra -- they are expensive so I buy seconds from discountsportsbras dot com. They are tight but I find they feel good once you get used to them. They are the only sports bra I have found that keeps everything firmly in place.
    For low impact and high calorie burn, try cycling, rowing, or an intense barre workout class.
  • 95Tashey95
    95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wear a regular bra and then wear a high impact sports bra over the top

I have a good handful up top and they do not move at all for running etc

Just found that the sports bra on its own was never enough and I want to keep my assets as valuable as I can!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I really like the sports bras at Old Navy, I'm big chested, and I don't move in those.
  • Macbainiac
    Options
    Same here - As a 30DDD and runner, I picked up a size S of this sports bra as I was desperate for a solution (and it was only $10!): http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1013853&vid=1&pid=731896502

Since, I have purchased 3 more and I only wear my other sports bras if everything else is dirty.

If you have a little more money to spend, I've also heard GREAT things about Freya sports bras from my sisters who are larger-chested than me.
  • alliwantishappy
    Options
    I'm a 34F so I think I can help you.
    You're going to have to spend a little extra $$ if you want to get a proper sports bra, but believe me, they are totally worth it. I was so tired of having to wear 2+ "normal" sport bras and still have my boobs move up and down.
    The best sport bra for d+ size is hands down is the SHOCK ABSORBER Active D+ classic bra http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/en/products/active-range/active-dplus-classic-support/

I know its ugly as hell, but believe me, I've tried them all. If you want superior support with NO jiggle, get a sports bra that looks more like a harness or corset than a sports bra. They are so unsexy but you wont believe it when you jump and your boobs don't move. Its inane! I love my shock absorber so much I have 3 of them and wear them even while not working out. They don't give me the "uni-boob" and also do a great job at minimizing my bust.
    Here is the BEST list:
    http://www.womensadventuremagazine.com/gear/best-sports-bras-for-large-busts/
    ps: just don't get Panache, I'm actually wearing one right now and It sucks! regret buying it!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Shock Absorber Run for me.It's pretty tight - all over. However it feels 'secure'. Nothing moves at all.

it isn't cheap, but is definitely worth it.

http://www.theoutnet.com/product/314046?cm_mmc=ProductSearchPLA-_-GB-_-Clothing-_-Activewear&gclid=CjkKEQjwttWcBRCuhYjhouveusIBEiQAwjy8IDh03NfjvATDExu-2vFT-NFRGEIxLOm4ktfFVAeGCH7w_wcB
  • NotJustGingerly
    NotJustGingerly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far, wow, I didn't expect there would be so many responses so fast! I guess there are plenty out there to choose from, now to see if I can afford one in the future and find someplace local to try them on. Would love to find someplace that will let you return them even if they have been worn because no amount of jumping up & down in the changing room will equal an hour at the gym or on the trail. Keep the suggestions coming please! Sorry if anyone has discussed this before. Can you post a link to your thread (if you can find it?) I would love to hear what others have found and suggested in the past. I know this has probably got to be the #1 problem and would love to hear what others have had success & failure with.

Would love to hear more on effective low/no impact exercising too. I need to work on getting my heart rate up, will look more for suggestions on this.

Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate it!
    -G
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. As a 30 DD it felt almost impossible to find a bra that kept all the bits from moving around. But I ended up with the Under Armour bra top and absolutely looooove it! So comfortable that I even picked up a second so that I can always have one ready for workouts. I included a link below for reference but I'm positive you can find them more places than just Sportchek.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12394710

As for the low impact, spinning might be a good cardio option. It's done mostly seated (or standing if you've got the legs for it) on the stationary bike so you don't get jostled around the same way you would with running or something like zumba or other cardio classes.