Can't seem to get over this hump

Options
I am a 5'10" 40yr old guy who has been counting calories since the beginning of April. The weight seemed to be coming off at a decent clip initially but I have since hit a wall. I am only eating around 1600 calories a day and my weight loss has stalled and I'm stuck at 200lbs. I've been running 3-4 days a week but haven't been doing any other physical activity other than that.

I know that there's not a perfect answer to this issue but do I up my calorie intake, lower my calorie intake - start including a weight routine in with a core workout? I don't have a coach or anything to guide me through this and I want to continue losing weight to get down to my goal of 185 lbs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Christian

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Define stall? No weight loss this week? normal.

Now 1600 calories tho is not really enough for an active man...I am an active woman about your age and can eat 2100 and maintain my weight (I think it could be more) so I suspect you could eat a bit more.

As well you should include resistence training ie heavy lifting and get adequate protien to prevent muscle loss...weight loss without it =fat loss+muscle loss.

Wtih 15lbs to lose you should aim for about 1/2lb a week.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Now 1600 calories tho is not really enough for an active man...I am an active woman about your age and can eat 2100 and maintain my weight (I think it could be more) so I suspect you could eat a bit more.

As well you should include resistence training ie heavy lifting and get adequate protien to prevent muscle loss...weight loss without it =fat loss+muscle loss.

This...Yup...this...
  • Bucs44
    Bucs44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have been weighing in about every other day and the weight fluctuates between 200 and 202. I have been drinking water - anywhere from 60-80 oz a day. I'll try and bump my caloric intake to 1800 cal and see how that works.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    See if these help...

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Oh and your body can fluctuate +/- 5 lbs a day.
  • Bucs44
    Bucs44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused with how many calories I should really be eating a day. Based on the fat 2 fit website this is how many calories I should be eating.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2206
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2527
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2849
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3171
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3492

So am I really doing myself no good by eating just 1600-1800 calories a day? Should I really be eating around 2500?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused with how many calories I should really be eating a day. Based on the fat 2 fit website this is how many calories I should be eating.

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3492

So am I really doing myself no good by eating just 1600-1800 calories a day? Should I really be eating around 2500?

Yes, you need to provide enough fuel for your workouts and basic body functions. How well does your car run on no gas?
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Yes... Fuel that body. It will love you for it... And reward you with losses. Trust me on this.