Success beyond the scale: my journey to health & wellbeing

Options
epigirrl
epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
I am a brand new 50-year old (birthday last month), single mom of a 20-year old son, who is on the most important journey of her life! This morning I was reflecting on the past 9 months and decided it was time to share…

I have been on MFP, in earnest, since September 2013 when I started a journey of personal transformation. A series of events over the summer of 2013 helped me realize that I could not live the way I was living anymore, and I set out to make some major changes in my life. My broad goal was to feel fabulous when I turned 50...whatever that might mean. What I did not consciously realize, at the time, was there would be all sorts of consequences (intended and unintended) of these life changes.

What changes did I make? Started kettlebell classes 3 times per week, yoga class weekly, and participated in a local weight loss challenge group for 8 weeks (I won $125 for 3rd place in % of total body weight lost over the 8 weeks). Each class was/is a commitment scheduled into my calendar as a meeting with myself…I informed my family, friends, and colleagues that these “meetings with myself” were non-negotiable. I started weighing and logging everything I ate; changed what I was eating; eliminated diet soda. I also began practicing positive thinking and self-talk…grounded in acceptance and gratitude...which was really fostered by surrounding myself with some new people.

So...here I am 9 months later. I am now 50 years old and have achieved things beyond my wildest dreams.

PJJ_Sep13_May14_v2web_zps11a7c4db.jpg

The consequences: I shed 40 pounds and 50 total inches, lost my chronic back pain, migraines, unmanageable stress, and insomnia. In this same time, I gained strength, flexibility, balance, fitness, health & wellbeing. A few examples: from 0 to 40 regular pushups; from 20 seconds to 5 minutes continuous forearm plank; from 15 pound kettlebells to 12-14 kg (26-31 pound) bells; from inability to touch toes to hands flat on the floor; can now do Eagle Pose.

The unexpected: Unexpected benefits on this personal journey also include new friendships, a strong appreciation for the power of social support (both in person and virtual), growing self-awareness, renewed confidence, boundaries, and a sense of hope, optimism, & serenity that I have never before experienced. All of this has also contributed to me resigning a good job (after 2.5 years) with a great opportunity looming but no official job offer in hand. The offer is coming, and I likely will start my new potential dream opportunity on June 30, which aligns my personal and my professional. AND, I am now in an intimate relationship (still relatively new…only 4 months) after 18 years of remaining single by choice.

There is much uncertainty with so much change and newness, but I believe that everything will unfold as it is intended. With my new habits/lifestyle, new tools for taking care of myself, my sense of purpose and wellbeing, and support of new friends in the real world AND on MFP...I can handle anything this next phase of my journey reveals. I am still a work in progress, but I feel better than I have in decades...if ever.

Cheers to all of you on your journey’s to health & wellbeing.

Replies

• haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! Congratulations on all your resulting successes! :)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. You look amazing and this is great motivation for me since I'm 51 and just over half way through my journey. It doesn't get easier when you get older but it does get more rewarding!
  • epigirrl
    Options
    You look beautiful! Congratulations on all your resulting successes! :)
    Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. You look amazing and this is great motivation for me since I'm 51 and just over half way through my journey. It doesn't get easier when you get older but it does get more rewarding!

Thanks HailDodger and NextPage. I feel beautiful and feel amazing too!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've been on my own "journey" since last October. While I have lost weight, nothing quite as positive and wonderful has happened to me....and I'd like it to! You speak of "new friends" - where did you find/meet them? The older I get the harder I find it is to reach out and when I do reach out, it seems like it is not well received. Positive thinking and self-talk - did you read self help books? Talk to a therapist? Take some kind of class for this? Do you have any tips or "how to" advice?
    I'd love to experience at least a little bit of the kind of joy you seem to be experiencing but I am so happy for your "success beyond the scale!"
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! You look terrific and I am so happy for you and just a little jealous! I am need to take a page from your book and just commit already! Congratulations on your success and wonderful life events.
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your successes !! You look a lot happier now than you did, and you don't look 50 at all.

I was 50 last year, and was 142 lbs, which was the lowest I had been for many many years, and even though my dad had just passed away the week before and I was very sad about that - I had a wonderful birthday with my friends and family and felt, slim, sexy and glad that I had decided the year before to start this journey from 215 lb.

I am still 142, but trying to carry on to reach my target of 135,
    Congratulations again and good luck for the future.
  • tessiebear40
    tessiebear40 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You look amazing and soooo young. Here's to a bright future ahead :drinker:
  • emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your journey! I'm on a journey to do the same for my 45th birthday. In my case, the job change came first, and I feel like I am slowly getting my life back. You look so beautiful! Enjoy every moment!
  • epigirrl
    Options
    I've been on my own "journey" since last October. While I have lost weight, nothing quite as positive and wonderful has happened to me....and I'd like it to! You speak of "new friends" - where did you find/meet them? The older I get the harder I find it is to reach out and when I do reach out, it seems like it is not well received. Positive thinking and self-talk - did you read self help books? Talk to a therapist? Take some kind of class for this? Do you have any tips or "how to" advice?
    I'd love to experience at least a little bit of the kind of joy you seem to be experiencing but I am so happy for your "success beyond the scale!"
    Kjurassic,

My biggest secret is that I found a path that worked for me. In other words, I looked for things that spoke to me...not what others told me I "needed" to do. I wanted to lose weight, but I also wanted to feel more inspired about life. So, I tried a variety of things [many through the local community education programs, which are cheap and easy to get to] and stuck with what felt right for me.

In terms of new friends, those have come from some of the new activities...the weight loss challenge, the kettlebell class, and some mindfulness and mind-body workshops that I have attended. In terms of the positive self-talk, a lot of this comes from books and lectures. But I then take quotes that resonate with me, print them in large font, and hang them up in places that I will see them frequently. I read them daily. I carve out time (even 5 minutes) to meditate/contemplate/remind myself why it is important. That way, when I run into difficulty during the day...I can draw on those thoughts and remind myself what I need to do.

To be clear...my life is not perfect. I still have difficult days. I run into challenges that make me feel like a failure. I had one day where I started the day so profoundly sad that I pulled into the parking lot at work (my former job) and sat there and cried for 15 minutes. But then I thought about how grateful I was that I feel that deeply and how important it is to sometimes feel really bad in order to feel really good. And I realized that while I was having a lot of success, this was a reality check that it is all still a work in progress. I had another day with a proposal deadline where my colleague had been called out of town on a family emergency. All of the work for this proposal, dealing with mother's declining health and cognitive state, the fact that I had not heard from my guy in 2 days, and waiting to hear about acceptance for a fellowship that was a key to my immediate future plans had my anxiety at a peak level that resulted in a panic attack (which I had not had in over 20 years). Long story short: It was a really challenging day...and it actually took me a good 10 days, several conversations with close friends, and many tears to get myself back on track. But through that all, I never quit logging my food, never stopped going to kettlebell or yoga classes, never stopped reading MY motivational quotes. Those were tools that I used daily that helped me keep going.

One person's work that I have found particularly inspiring lately is Kelly McGonigal. She has youtube interviews, a TED talk, and her book The Willpower Instinct. I had the great fortune to also hear her speak live and to attend a workshop she conducted on yoga for pain. Another book is Tom Rath's Eat, Move, Sleep.

Best wishes to you on finding what speaks to you. And good luck on your continued journey.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting about your journey. This is a great reminder to look beyond the scale and focus on the other positive changes in our journeys.
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    you feel great and it shows! you look happy. wtg!!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Eagle pose!!!!! WOW!!! :flowerforyou:
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! What a powerful transformation you have made! Amazing and awesome and inspiring! Congrats, and I am very happy for you!! :)
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Thank you for sharing, it has confirmed for me why I'm doing this. It's not all about the number on the scale.
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Great story. Amazing how much has changed for you in less than a year.
  • epigirrl
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and support!!

I had been asked to share my story several times in "real-life", so it seemed worthwhile to share it here as well.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your story, that is amazing!
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great Story thanks for Sharing and congratulaitons
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Motivation! Great job and you look amazing. I just started kettle bell Friday and have gone twice. Right on time for me and so encouraging from your story.
  • epigirrl
    Options
    Thanks, all!
    Motivation! Great job and you look amazing. I just started kettle bell Friday and have gone twice. Right on time for me and so encouraging from your story.

Just curious how the kettlebells are going for you, rubbie78. Some of my friends tease me as I often refer to kettlebells as my higher power. Hard work...but so worth it from a physical fitness and stress reduction standpoint. Keep it up and good luck on your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!