Are smoothie/juice cleanses good?

Options
I've been reading blogs and watching documentaries like "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I'm thinking that I might need to do a cleanse with some smoothies or juicing. Would it make sense to mix both together, or just do smoothies or juice?

Also, I think the guy on FSaND did it for 30 days or something like that. Is it good to do a cleanse for that long? Should I do it less?

I found some recipes here:
http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/07/18-healthy-vegan-smoothies/
http://lorimerkitchen.com/2014/03/21/matcha-green-tea-smoothies/
Opinions on them?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you have working organs you don't need a cleanse. If your organs don't work its probably best to see your doctor than try a cleanse.

If you just want to drink some smoothies or juice because they are yummy then go for it.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    ^ what she said

Juices are yummy. But juice cleanses only cleans your pockets from money...
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think they are a good way to get a lot of nutrients/vegetables in your body quickly.

I'm a vegetarian, so I mostly make green smoothies and use spirulina and lots of vitamin C fruits, so that I absorb iron.

It makes me feel good drinking smoothies because I know what's in them, they taste good and I feel like I'm eating something healthy and fresh.
  • candis1961
    candis1961 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just bought a book by Candace Kumai called 100+ Clean Green Juices & Smoothies. I really like the recipes that I have tried so far. You should check it out!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is not a documentary, It's an infomercial. You have presumably functional liver, kidneys, and bowels by virtue of the fact that you are living enough to type this post, so you're already being cleansed. Even if that were not the case, drinking your meals would do nothing to aid the process, save for making you $#!*. Cleanses and juice detoxes are for suckers and Hollywood types who have long ago lost any semblance of a former ability to think for them selves.

Rigger
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    You say "Juice Clense?"... I say "No thanks hippie. I'll get the squirts from drinking beer and eating wings like a true American".
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Ignore the haters!!!

Oh, wait...this thread is about cleanses...

Well consider me a hater and don't ignore me!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to buy Tucks pads, the cleanses will make you crap your brains out.

tumblr_mih9h1yo7J1qlyq6uo1_500.jpg
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan. They are really hard on your digestive system and I think eating the whole food is always perferable to just the juice.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but sometimes I'm a vegetarian. I'll go a while without eating meat, because I read that too much protein could be bad for you.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    I used juices initially to cleanse, but different than what you think. I used them to cleanse myself of habits. Don't eat sugar for a few weeks and everything tastes insanly sweet, same with salt. I did 5 juices during the day and then ate a lean meat and something green for dinner. It made the initally hard part easier, because there was no question about what I was eating at work...Juice. I didn't buy anything packaged, I bought a juicer (used CC points) and went to town. Also very obvious you are eating what you are, so co-workers don't try to give you donuts and things. Atleast in my office.

My husband is down 40 and he is still doing the juices during the day. He finds fruit juice to give him more energy before working out than any of the pre-workout drinks did. Also easier for him with all the meetings and stuff he has to go to. We have found a noticable difference in recovery time. Muscles are less sore, I think because we aren't under nurished. We have all the nutrients and they are in their original form vs pharmacutical manufactured vitamins. I am not anti-vitamin, I take a prenatal everyday. I just think an apple is better than a pill if you can get what you need that way.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You say "Juice Clense?"... I say "No thanks hippie. I'll get the squirts from drinking beer and eating wings like a true American".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but sometimes I'm a vegetarian. I'll go a while without eating meat, because I read that too much protein could be bad for you.
    Wow you are all over the place.

Sometimes you are a vegetarian, you want to do a cleanse, and you skip meals because you hear too much protein is bad for you.

Let me guess, you also do the fasting program as well while you are sleeping of course.

You are just too all over the place to fix.
  • navyrigger46
    Options

Is that kind of like I'm sometimes a virgin? You're far more likely to suffer detrimental effects from a lack of protein, than from a surplus of it.

Rigger
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    Oh I started with the recipes at the following link. Then I just modified them as needed (less apples vs more to adjust sweetness). Green apples are good as pre-worout.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/joe-cross-juice-cleanse-recipes

You can use the link below to calculate the calories in the actual juice. It is less than the whole fruit. Note: it doesn't work on my work computer, but it does on my laptop at home. When you start typing in the box it should make a drop down, if not then try another computer.

http://juicerecipes.com/build/
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options

My understanding is that whatever protein your body does not use just gets peed out. Unless you are really going crazy with the protein I don't think it would hurt you.
  • navyrigger46
    Options
    Oh I started with the recipes at the following link. Then I just modified them as needed (less apples vs more to adjust sweetness). Green apples are good as pre-worout.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/joe-cross-juice-cleanse-recipes

You can use the link below to calculate the calories in the actual juice. It is less than the whole fruit. Note: it doesn't work on my work computer, but it does on my laptop at home. When you start typing in the box it should make a drop down, if not then try another computer.

http://juicerecipes.com/build/

Dr. Oz is a quack, and no thinking person should ever take anything associated with him seriously.

Rigger
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

19708d1365371785-hope-little-steel-case-ammo-doesn-t-hurt-bonjour.jpg#bonjour%20state%20farm%20400x400

Who gets it?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz is a quack, and no thinking person should ever take anything associated with him seriously.

Rigger

^^ This
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

My understanding is that whatever protein your body does not use just gets peed out. Unless you are really going crazy with the protein I don't think it would hurt you.

I get my protein from cats

Cat_sandwich.jpg